Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ard Ri Hotel, Ferrybank, Waterford.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

seems there is a deal done, a swap for halls on the quays, but the asbestos is causing all sorts of probs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

muffler wrote: »
    Just remember that the McEniff brothers like all Donegal people are very clever ;)

thats just gossip, no facts behind that one.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Just remember that the McEniff brothers like all Donegal people are very clever ;)

Wonder how this went for them........:rolleyes::)

http://decsramble.blogspot.com/2005/11/man-sues-weather-forecasters.html

• Registered Users Posts: 46,015 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Wonder how this went for them........:rolleyes::)

http://decsramble.blogspot.com/2005/11/man-sues-weather-forecasters.html
    Walked into that one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Walked into that one :D
    :p;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

why are the lights on sometimes in the night ??

would be great to buy it and make a real go at it... a nice 5 star luxury hotel would be good there, with rips in and out to town from there.. wuld love to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ciaran Clark

Hopefully this really happens. Nice old artists impression of its heydays

http://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2017/0403/864749-waterford-hotel/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Great news for Waterford, all this development. My only concern is will they get enough people willing to pay 5 star prices for rooms? Who exactly are their clientele? Without doubt people will head up for a look and buy a few drinks, maybe they will even stay the night if the offer is good. But repeat business- where will that come from? The population of Waterford is hardly exploding and the Saudi business developments are depending heavily on people coming from all over the country to spend their money in these fancy shops and restaurants etc.
    A lot of people had to leave the city because of the recession and these people haven't all been replaced. I just hope there is enough of a demand for all these enormous shopping complexes and 5 Star hotels.We aren't exactly New York!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Great news for Waterford, all this development. My only concern is will they get enough people willing to pay 5 star prices for rooms? Who exactly are their clientele? Without doubt people will head up for a look and buy a few drinks, maybe they will even stay the night if the offer is good. But repeat business- where will that come from? The population of Waterford is hardly exploding and the Saudi business developments are depending heavily on people coming from all over the country to spend their money in these fancy shops and restaurants etc.
    A lot of people had to leave the city because of the recession and these people haven't all been replaced. I just hope there is enough of a demand for all these enormous shopping complexes and 5 Star hotels.We aren't exactly New York!
    May very well be eyeing up potential business from Saudi businessmen wishing for 5 star accommodation overlooking their latest project while being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I doubt very much that it's aimed at the local market. Waterford is an attractive place to come to for all sorts of reasons, and there are a lot of people out there who won't come precisely because they can't get the five-star hotel experience here at the moment.

One thing that I can think of is the boom in fairytale castle weddings aimed at Americans. As far as I know, Waterford Castle is in on this, and has hosted some parties thrown by seriously wealthy people. In cases where they can't accommodate the entire party, the logical option is to have a five-star hotel within easy limo distance.

Isn't the guy buying this already the owner of Waterford Castle? It would fit right into his business model if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Is the John Ronan mentioned, Johnny Ronan of Treasury Holding's fame?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Is the John Ronan mentioned, Johnny Ronan of Treasury Holding's fame?

No, totally different guy. John Ronan is a well known estate agent in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Aquos76 wrote: »
    No, totally different guy. John Ronan is a well known estate agent in Waterford.

Thank God for that. John Rohan I guess is the guy. He's the estate agent.

Oh yeah, its John Rohan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 villamar

Additional accommodation will be needed in the city due to the upgrade of the Court House. The massive investment is further positive news for the city which should benefit from the spin off from expansion of cases which can be held in the city. The legal entourage will hopefully generate further revenue for the city especially in hotel sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Anyone remember the name of the disco in the Ard Ri back in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 X22Report

jelutong wrote: »
    Anyone remember the name of the disco in the Ard Ri back in the day?

Boogies Nite Club

• Registered Users Posts: 38,280 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

X22Report wrote: »
    Boogies Nite Club

id say there were many falls and other things happend on that hill during/after that nite club lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

I remember a few cars running out of road at the bottom of the hill and going head first over the wall onto Dock Road.

Has any timeline been given for this? Planning, appeals, construction, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

fricatus wrote: »
    Has any timeline been given for this? Planning, appeals, construction, etc...

The Owner Seamus Walsh (?) mentioned on his interview on WLR (when this was announced) that he hoped to open doors in 2.5 to 3 years time all going well.

Since this was announced two or so weeks ago there seems to be work going on site daily since then , I am guessing is simple housekeeping and securing the site since it has been neglected for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭goochy

sorry maybe its just me , but I don't live in Waterford and I always know it as Jurys ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

PTH2009 wrote: »
    id say there were many falls and other things happend on that hill during/after that nite club lol

I took a short cut down through the grass one night after a work Christmas party years ago. It was quite an achievement getting down the steep incline after a feed of pints. How I didn’t slip and roll down I’ll never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

goochy wrote: »
    sorry maybe its just me , but I don't live in Waterford and I always know it as Jurys ?

Ard Ri (High King) was is the name on the roof for years and that's what most of us still call it and probably always will. The actual owner was irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

I've rolled up it a few times. Found it pretty easy ;)
    BBM77 wrote: »
    I took a short cut down through the grass one night after a work Christmas party years ago. It was quite an achievement getting down the steep incline after a feed of pints. How I didn’t slip and roll down I’ll never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Ard Ri (High King) was is the name on the roof for years and that's what most of us still call it and probably always will. The actual owner was irrelevant

Actually I think it was called Ardree, it's original name, longer than it was Ard Ri or Jurys.

Actually I think it was called Ardree, it's original name, longer than it was Ard Ri or Jurys.

Yes, that's right. I think the name changed like this over the years:

Ardree Hotel
    Jury's Ardree Hotel
    Jury's Hotel
    McEniff Ard Rí Hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep now you mentioned it I can see the name design in my minds eye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Any idea if they will knock it down and start from scratch?

The old block design is very dated looking from Irelands regrettable 60s and 70s "modern" architecture.

• Advertisement

Any idea if they will knock it down and start from scratch?

The old block design is very dated looking from Irelands regrettable 60s and 70s "modern" architecture.

Nope, its been redeveloped rather than demolished

Advertisement