Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ard Ri Hotel, Ferrybank, Waterford.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They can easily put a modern facade on an old lego structure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

I dont get it. Why redevelop not demolish if "5 star" is the aim. Its a monstrosity of a building with no redeeming features on a par with Busarus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Sosurface wrote: »
    I dont get it. Why redevelop not demolish if "5 star" is the aim. Its a monstrosity of a building with no redeeming features on a par with Busarus.

The most obvious reason I would assume.....cost!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Prob take a look at how the Central Bank Of Ireland will have transformed what was quite an ugly concrete half shell left over from the mess of what Anglo Irish wanted to move into on the Dublin Quays. Looks very impressive at the moment.

I'd say re-using the current Ard Rí building and redesigning it would be an architects dream challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I dont have an eye for these things, will be interested to see what they can do with it. Just the base structure is not flattering, find it hard to see what they can do that is not a large rectangle. But Anything will be an improvement on what it is now.

I heard that there used to be old castle like ruins on the hill that were knocked down to build the hotel.

Anyone know if true or the history behind it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

It was a dwelling house not a ruins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Owned by Mr. Larry Forristal, ship owner and merchant, director of the Old Bridge Company (Timbertoes).

The turrets were added c.1860 by Henry Francis Slattery, Manager of the National Bank, who was mayor of Waterford 1871 and later became Sir Henry Slattery when he was called to London as a Bank director.

The house (castle) was subsequently sold to a Mr. Fleming.

The proper name of it was Knockane Villa, Edward Fleming who died on June 4th 1883 is buried in Thomastown Graveyard, County Kilkenny.

Demolished January 1968.

Aerial view:
    FGsqYfO.jpg
    Above North Quays:
    HXkhhWB.jpg
    Up on the hill:
    WGAv4GW.jpg
    Far right on the photo (showing Hearnes temporary premises, erected after the fire in 1915, Portlairge behind the building)
    xmKuoqy.jpg
    Top left:
    XswLw9L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

That is fantastic.

Thanks for the great informative post.

Absolutely mindless. Between that and the beautiful train station buildings destroyed to make way for that abomination across the bridge, Irish architects and planners of well pretty much every era post indepence should be hung for crimes against their profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Knockane Villa (Fleming's Castle) was knocked, not to make way for the Ardree, but for the tennis courts up the back that nobody ever used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Knockane Villa (Fleming's Castle) was knocked, not to make way for the Ardree, but for the tennis courts up the back that nobody ever used.

And a pathway to Waterford Golf Club that was
    never used either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Absolutely mindless. Between that and the beautiful train station buildings destroyed to make way for that abomination across the bridge, Irish architects and planners of well pretty much every era post indepence should be hung for crimes against their profession.

Spot on. Change should always be opposed. Live in the presence tense and think no further

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Spot on. Change should always be opposed. Live in the presence tense and think no further

Change for change sake should be opposed yes. How does an architect even practice without even a basic appreciation of aesthetics? A concrete rectangle is what you'd expect to get if you left a structural engineer design everything. Architects are supposed to have an eye for this stuff like.

Advertisement