Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The East Cork Thread

Options
  • 01-11-2008 6:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I have absolutely nothing to say, I just thought it was about time we had an East Cork thread in here. Hallo!

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Nice thinking,

Anybody know what work is being done on the slip road when you entering/exiting Midleton from the Cork side???? They have temp traffic lights
    up and one lane of the road closed but i haven't for a scoobies what they're up to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Nice thinking,

Anybody know what work is being done on the slip road when you entering/exiting Midleton from the Cork side???? They have temp traffic lights
    up and one lane of the road closed but i haven't for a scoobies what they're up to

I was told it's for the North road by-pass, which starts by the Mill road, through near the back of Knockgriffin and joins by O' Brien's garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I was told it's for the North road by-pass, which starts by the Mill road, through near the back of Knockgriffin and joins by O' Brien's garage.

Correct, it will be in place hopefully before the train is returned to Midleton, but they are making a joke out of the Cork Road works, pissing about causing massive traffic jams, that section should be concentrated on to relieve the traffic congestion they are causing them let them do the rest of the works.

MC

On another works related issue, isn't it amazing how Murphy Construction were able to build two high pressure gas pipelines from Midleton to Aghada and the refinery and there was no one lying on the road protesting (not that I'm saying they should be objecting in the first place). The pipeline goes right past some houses even on the grounds of one new house around Whitewell cross.

Anyone?

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

The Cork road & Mill Road road works seem to be going on forever.
    Its so annoying that they can't even leave the roads they have open to drive on aren't even smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Tonio

Hopefully not too long to go before it is finished. They seem to be working nights now and I saw them there last Sunday too. I was reading a few months back that the new road was due to open by the end of the year. Looks a bit optimistic to me but I hope they prioritise completing the junctions on the Mill and Cork roads.:(
    Irishshin wrote: »
    The Cork road & Mill Road road works seem to be going on forever.
    Its so annoying that they can't even leave the roads they have open to drive on aren't even smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Aldi in Carrigtohill is almost open.

I'm wet with anticipation.

You know you're on the track to respectability when you get an Aldi;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

gramlab wrote: »
    Aldi in Carrigtohill is almost open.

I'm wet with anticipation.

You know you're on the track to respectability when you get an Aldi;)

I have a reminder in my phone to bring my €2 for the trolley (no baskets).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I created a Corcaigh social network on Ning and added an East Cork group, join in there lads and kick things off, eh?

http://corcaigh.ning.com/group/eastcork

Shortcut for the main group: corcaigh.org

adam

Correct, it will be in place hopefully before the train is returned to Midleton, but they are making a joke out of the Cork Road works, pissing about causing massive traffic jams, that section should be concentrated on to relieve the traffic congestion they are causing them let them do the rest of the works.

MC

Really is a joke at the minute, huge queues of traffic, especially in the evenings (I wouldn't mind, only the fact I have to get the bus and I'm living out Ballinacurra direction, the traffic could be avoided by car :(). I'm guessing it won't be completed for another bit. Can't imagine what it is gonna be like nearer christmas :eek:

• Advertisement

Really is a joke at the minute, huge queues of traffic, especially in the evenings (I wouldn't mind, only the fact I have to get the bus and I'm living out Ballinacurra direction, the traffic could be avoided by car :(). I'm guessing it won't be completed for another bit. Can't imagine what it is gonna be like nearer christmas :eek:

Pity to poor businesses in the area, I know of one supplier of mine that is feeling it hard as the area is a no go at the moment. The council enginners are reputed to be on €200 expences /week /day not sure which so can't see them wanting to kill the golden goose by finishing this promptly.

On other news, anybody see the pile-up at Cobh cross this morning? It was all cleared when I passed about an hour ago, anyone hurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Just want to let everyone in the East Cork area know about the latest door-to-door sales/scam. I had a guy call to the house this morning selling the "WiWi" games console. Looks a /lot/ like the Nintendo Wii packaging. Very interested in coming into the house to demonstrate it!

Thanks for the heads up.

MC

Is that you Adam... are you wearing a dress??? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Just want to let everyone in the East Cork area know about the latest door-to-door sales/scam. I had a guy call to the house this morning selling the "WiWi" games console. Looks a /lot/ like the Nintendo Wii packaging. Very interested in coming into the house to demonstrate it!

Not a scam but might as well be. I'm just north of Carrigtohill and guys have called twice in the last 2 weeks with "tarmac left over from a job" - "do yours for 2 grand". Told wife they were council contractors (1st time) and told me they were Cork Ashphalt and doing a job in the area.Their van looks official-ish (Red with Roadway Maintainance written on the side)

Saw them working in a house down the road last week and walked up there yesterday to see the job - absolutely terrible

Beware

Could be the same lads if the scruffy looking van (and lads for that matter) we saw them in in Tesco car park last night are anything to go by.

(It's not a dress MunsterCycling, it's a Mumu.)

adam

Pity to poor businesses in the area, I know of one supplier of mine that is feeling it hard as the area is a no go at the moment. The council enginners are reputed to be on €200 expences /week /day not sure which so can't see them wanting to kill the golden goose by finishing this promptly.

It's a shame, must be even worse to the business' now with the slip road into town closed (atleast it was the other day, unless things have changed). I'd imagine the work won't be finished before christmas?!
    gramlab wrote: »
    Not a scam but might as well be. I'm just north of Carrigtohill and guys have called twice in the last 2 weeks with "tarmac left over from a job" - "do yours for 2 grand". Told wife they were council contractors (1st time) and told me they were Cork Ashphalt and doing a job in the area.Their van looks official-ish (Red with Roadway Maintainance written on the side)

Saw them working in a house down the road last week and walked up there yesterday to see the job - absolutely terrible

Beware

We had someone call to our house earlier in the year with the same offer and they had made a mess of the neighbour's driveway! Definitely something to be wary of!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

Still working on the Mill Road, its a nightmare
    Today they were putting down soil for inside the footpath instead of working on the road. Its just madness now esp with both footpaths closed off and hardly enough room for two cars to even fit on the road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Could someone please recommend a reliable mechanic in the East Cork area?

Going up to the city to get my car serviced is too time consuming, and now it's leaking oil I want to find someone more local to take care of it.

It's a 00 Passat. Abernetheys (Midleton) have already refused to do it, and I couldn't find anyone else open today.

T

Try Fast Fit in Midleton or their is a guy accross the road that does tyres and servicing too (Not Advance (Robbery) Tyres) but their name escapes me, herself uses them so will find out for you if you like. Fast Fit are good though, the guy on reception can be a bit surly but knows his stuff and does good work.

MC

They are here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=&daddr=51.914644,-8.189315&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=51.914004,-8.188156&sspn=0.002306,0.006974&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=18

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

dahamsta wrote: »
    join in there lads and kick things off, eh?

I don't want to be a third wheel.....

• Advertisement

Ah jealosy is a fickle thing.... ;)

I'd just like to clarify that we're not having a threesome.

Phew

I have a strict limit on the number of men involved in any group sex I'd be involved in. That limit is one.

And of course you're not including yourself in that, because you love willy.

That makes even less sense than the idea of me being involved in group sex...

Your sexual proclivities never make sense Blitz!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Could someone please recommend a reliable mechanic in the East Cork area?

Going up to the city to get my car serviced is too time consuming, and now it's leaking oil I want to find someone more local to take care of it.

It's a 00 Passat. Abernetheys (Midleton) have already refused to do it, and I couldn't find anyone else open today.

T

East Cork Motors down in Rostellan on the Pier is very good, I go to them all the time and I'm based down in Cobh... he won't rip you off and is very reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cue brute

also bobby benskin in ballymaloe - a bit out of the way but very reliable i have found over the years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

dahamsta wrote: »
    I created a Corcaigh social network on Ning and added an East Cork group, join in there lads and kick things off, eh?

http://corcaigh.ning.com/group/eastcork

Shortcut for the main group: corcaigh.org

adam

Done. It is a bit lonely in there though :)

And I wish you reprobates would clean up after yourselves.

• Advertisement

Sorry, couldn't find the mop and disinfectant.

Someone else joined on Stephen's Day, we have a grand total of 6 members now. That's almost a GANG like!

adam

Advertisement