Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training for ARW Selection

• 01-11-2008 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Hi All.
    Tried this thread in emergency service area and was suggested that i try it in here due to members of pdf possibly having info re training suggestions for ARW selection.
    My general query was to see if anyone would be able to give me advice on what is the best way to train for ERU selection, i am currently doing gym etc, but i havent a clue on what type of training i should be specifically doing for it, should i be doing long runs, loads of cardio???? any info would be much appreciated. I know training for ARW selection is a totally different thing to the ERU selection but if i could do half of the stuff thats needed to try an do ARW selection them im sure id have a massive advantage when it came to ERU selection.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

First off lads, before people get their collective knickers in a twist I suggested the OP posted the question here.

OP, one question. Do the ERU not issue fitness/training guidelines for intending applicants?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Janet Raegars duly extracted from crack, ironed and pressed and ready for inspection... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Thanks Mairt for adding that in. ERU don't issue anything to people training to undergo selection, which i myself along with others cant understand either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

OP, are you in the PDF/RDF? or are you a garda or a garda Reserve? The reason I ask is to find out if your in, or are you a civvie? If your a civvie you'll have to be in the PDF before you'll get the chance to apply for the ARW.

iceage wrote: »
    OP, are you in the PDF/RDF? or are you a garda or a garda Reserve? The reason I ask is to find out if your in, or are you a civvie? If your a civvie you'll have to be in the PDF before you'll get the chance to apply for the ARW.

Serving Garda, not looking to apply for ARW just looking to see what kind of training prog people do when training for ARW selection. Looking to apply for ERU selection

• Advertisement

http://www.fianoglach.ie/

Might find something here. might not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Either way OP good luck, hope you get it.:)

Steyr wrote: »
    Either way OP good luck, hope you get it.:)

If i get it steyr, it'll be me,you, eroo, iceage and the lovely clada on the beer for the week,,, paid for by me..... its the least i could do.

Forgot to add in that im ex pdf.. sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

If i get it steyr, it'll be me,you, eroo, iceage and the lovely clada on the beer for the week,,, paid for by me..... its the least i could do..... i hope clada comes out though :p

Excellent!:)

• Advertisement

If your Ex PDF I'm sure your used to a decent PT regime. Treat it the same, running every other day distances rangeing from 2 to 4 miles should build your stamina,also a good cardio as you know is cycling and swimming combine all of that combined with sets of press ups, sits, squats and some core exercises. I personally never got much out of a gym, some basic weights to build is all you need. It will all come down to good cardio fitness and stamina at the end of the day.

Oh and easy on the beer, or better still drop it for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Forgot to add in that im ex pdf.. sorry

Well then seriously try to get a hold of some of the lads from your old unit. Ask them to get a training program off a PTI and pass it onto you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

get some weight on your back and start running, running with weight improves your running without it ten fold, when i trained for selection i used to put the golden pages, the independent directory, the argos catalogue and a couple of other books wrapped in a towel into a bag and do laps of a cross country track in the phoenix park, that was also in combats with a full CEFO on too, progress as pain-stakingly slow but it does work.

do loads of hill sprints too, can also be done at the magazine(building on top of hill) in the park too.

also do weights and swimming,

theres a ARW training program knocking around,i think its a 9 week one, some of your old PDF mates might be able to get a copy from the mad into it lads :D

king-stew wrote: »
    theres a ARW training program knocking around,i think its a 9 week one, some of your old PDF mates might be able to get a copy from the mad into it lads :D

Thanks, thats why I recommended the OP post here.

I seem to remembered seeing that too, but try as I might I couldn't find it. I'm sure it was published in An Cosantoir prior to an ARW selection course about two years ago.

Thanks a million for all the advice... its been very helpful .trying to get that arw prog from lads atm. If someone here finds it id much appreciate if ya could pm it to me or post it on here.

Just received this.
    This is the programme sent out by ARW that people were talking about.

Programme = Training for Army Ranger Wing Selection.

WEEK 1

Monday: Circuits+8k run
    Tuesday: CEFO+8k run
    Wednesday: Circuits+8k run
    Thurs: Swim or cycle
    Friday: Circuits+8k run
    Saturday: Hills 6hrs
    Sunday: REST

WEEK 2

Thursday: Swim or cycle

WEEK 3

Monday: 10k run
    Tuesday: Circuits+8k run
    Wednesday: CEFO+8k run
    Thursday: Circuits+8k run
    Friday: Swim/cycle
    Saturday: CEMO/Hills 6hrs
    Sunday: CEMO/Hills 4hrs

WEEK 4

Monday: REST

WEEK 5

REST WEEK

Tuesday: Swim/cycle
    Wednesday: 10k run
    Thursday: 10k run
    Saturday: REST

WEEK 6

Monday: 12k run
    Wednesday: CEFP+8K run

WEEK 7

Tuesday: CIRCUITS+8K RUN
    Wednesday: CEFO+10k run
    Saturday: CEMO/Hills 8hrs

WEEK 8

Sunday: CEMO/Hills 6hrs

WEEK 9

Tuesday: Circuits+8K RUN

WEEK 10

Saturday: CEMO/Hills 8-10hrs

WEEK 11

REST WEEK

Tuesday: 10k run
    Wednesday: Swim/cycle

WEEK 12

REST WEEK

Monday: 8k run
    Wednesday: 8k jog
    Thursday: 8k jog
    Friday: REST
    Sunday: SELECTION STARTS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

that will kick you into shape alright... im sure its been discussed on IMO.
    http://www.fianoglach.ie/

Might find something here. might not...

nice site ! havnt seen that one before ! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭cherrypicker555

Just received this from the very helpful, as always,eroo.
    This is the programme sent out by ARW that people were talking about.

Programme = Training for Army Ranger Wing Selection.

WEEK 1

Thurs: Swim or cycle

WEEK 2

Thursday: Swim or cycle

WEEK 3

Monday: 10k run

WEEK 4

WEEK 5

REST WEEK

Wednesday: 10k run

WEEK 6

WEEK 7

Tuesday: CIRCUITS+8K RUN

WEEK 8

WEEK 9

Tuesday: Circuits+8K RUN

WEEK 10

Saturday: CEMO/Hills 8-10hrs

WEEK 11

REST WEEK

Tuesday: 10k run
    Wednesday: Swim/cycle

WEEK 12

REST WEEK

Monday: 8k run
    Wednesday: 8k jog
    Thursday: 8k jog
    Friday: REST
    Sunday: SELECTION STARTS

With respect "Eroo" has made many exagerated claims in regards to the Wing, I would be very suprised if the above was the pre selection programme, going into the above from the level of fitness of the average PDF soldier it would simply be a recipe for injury.

Week 10 appears more challenging then test week.

Irish Army Ranger Wing test week, candidates can only fail 3 from 9:

Abseiling - Assesses a student's confidence when working at height.

Bridge jump - Tests confidence in water.

River crossing - Evaluates ability to work in a team.

Claustrophobia - Tests a student's ability to work with their equipment in confined spaces.

Gym tests - Assesses muscular endurance and strength while performing a set number of exercises.

10km run - Tests cardiovascular endurance over a set distance and time.

Mountain walk - Tests endurance over a set uphill march, while carrying a medium load.

Hill circuit - Assesses stamina and strength over a set cross-country course, while carrying a light load.

Forced march "cross-country" - Assesses stamina and strength over a set cross-country course and time while carrying a medium load around 15kgs.

Forced march "road" - A group test to assess the student's tolerance of pressure over a set course and time, while carrying a medium load, the distance is between 22-26 miles.

Route march - A group test to assess overall stamina, endurance and strength during a forced march over the mountains while carrying a medium load.

Of the 40 to 80 candidates that start the annual Ranger selection course, only 15% remain at the conclusion.[5]

From what iv heard this is the training the pti recommend for pdf lads prior to undergoing ARW selection weeks. Apparently this was posted in An Cosantoir awhile back. Mairt and king-Stew said they heard about programme posted in An Cosantoir too.
    Slight problem is i dont have any cefo/cemo gear anymore. anyone know where id buy it???? or know any good substitute.

From what iv heard this is the training the pti recommend for pdf lads prior to undergoing ARW selection weeks. Apparently this was posted in An Cosantoir awhile back. Mairt and king-Stew said they heard about programme posted in An Cosantoir too.
    Slight problem is i dont have any cefo/cemo gear anymore. anyone know where id buy it???? or know any good substitute.

not only did i hear about the program but i got it from the horses mouth on my own prelims! Its basically an "ideal" program and while we tried to follow it we obviously hadnt got the time to spend the whole weekends out on the hills so we would maybe spend 8 hours out on a saturday or if really pushed for time do the "mountain walk" cherrypicker mentioned which only took about 2 hours (still tough though;))

with regard to cherrypickers post,i think its slightly outdated now as there are less tests now and you cannot fail any of them

in relation to the program being a recipe for injury, right you are but it is not based on the average PDF soldier, you should really be training for 6 months for selection and assuming you are then you would have 3 months training under your belt already and would be at a high fitness level already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Its a pre-selection training program.

not only did i hear about the program but i got it from the horses mouth on my own prelims! Its basically an "ideal" program and while we tried to follow it we obviously hadnt got the time to spend the whole weekends out on the hills so we would maybe spend 8 hours out on a saturday or if really pushed for time do the "mountain walk" cherrypicker mentioned which only took about 2 hours (still tough though;))

with regard to cherrypickers post,i think its slightly outdated now as there are less tests now and you cannot fail any of them

in relation to the program being a recipe for injury, right you are but it is not based on the average PDF soldier, you should really be training for 6 months for selection and assuming you are then you would have 3 months training under your belt already and would be at a high fitness level already!

Fair enough, the simply reality is Ranger Wing selection is as demanding as permitted due to the small pool of candidates, passive/neutral nature of the state, poor fitness ethos in the PDF, PDF being unionised/politicaly correct, etc. I seriously think if an Irish army soldier/recruit got beasted, ie exercised till serious exhaustion as a punishment there is a good chance the army/govt would get sued, this culture exists throughtout the PDF.

When people are pushed to the limits of human endurance, they sometimes tragically die, example 4 Royal Marine recruits have died in the last 4 years undergoing the commando tests.

Such a situation would not be tolerated in the PDF or Ireland due to its anti military stance, either would the brutality of P company etc, mortality rate in SAS selection etc.

In regards ARW test week replacing one of the group marches with a solo mountain navigation/tab/yomp exercise might be a better test of initiative, map reading skills, ability to operate alone, etc, then two group marches.

LOL I was trying to think of how to ask Cherrypicker politely was he taking the p*ss, but I couldn't, so Cherrypicker, are you taking the p*ss? :)

QUOTE: the simply reality is Ranger Wing selection is as demanding as permitted due to the small pool of candidates, passive/neutral nature of the state, poor fitness ethos in the PDF, PDF being unionised/politicaly correct, etc. I seriously think if an Irish army soldier/recruit got beasted, ie exercised till serious exhaustion as a punishment there is a good chance the army/govt would get sued, this culture exists throughtout the PDF. QUOTE.

QUOTE:Such a situation would not be tolerated in the PDF or Ireland due to its anti military stance,QUOTE.

Thats twice you've knocked the lads in the PDF once for poor fitness, I take it your second was in referance to Irelands Nuetrality stance? Take cover mate...LOL :D

LOL I was trying to think of how to ask Cherrypicker politely was he taking the p*ss, but I couldn't, so Cherrypicker, are you taking the p*ss? :)

QUOTE: the simply reality is Ranger Wing selection is as demanding as permitted due to the small pool of candidates, passive/neutral nature of the state, poor fitness ethos in the PDF, PDF being unionised/politicaly correct, etc. I seriously think if an Irish army soldier/recruit got beasted, ie exercised till serious exhaustion as a punishment there is a good chance the army/govt would get sued, this culture exists throughtout the PDF. QUOTE.

QUOTE:Such a situation would not be tolerated in the PDF or Ireland due to its anti military stance,QUOTE.

Thats twice you've knocked the lads in the PDF once for poor fitness, I take it your second was in referance to Irelands Nuetrality stance? Take cover mate...LOL :D

Im not knocking the PDF, it does its role well, ie internal security of the state and UN peacekeeping well, it has no reason to maintain troops in a state of constant and short notice battle threatre preparedness(bar the Wing), this is not its role.

I think the compensation culture and job for life attitude do it no favours as a professional force. I think it should develop a more competitive ethos, which in recent years has got slightly better.

Officers and NCOs should have to justify their positions, through constant training programmes, fat career soldiers should be booted out, something wrong when fit enthusiastic 19 yr olds get turned away and some career soldiers get put on fat fighting drugs, (whats wrong with PT ?).

Problem is due to its parochial and political symbolism, no govt would dare trim the fat, cut its size, give it more gear, ie the ability to operate 1 mechanised infantry batallion with working vehicles, supported by a few troop carrying choppers, modern digital artillery and a half decent air defence capibility, supported by RDF who directly deploy within the PDF and who reach a professional standard,instead 85 % of the budget goes on wages and pensions, due to the fact in the past it was massively too big.

Instead its like the civil service, everyone rubs along nicely, looking forward to a nice pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

Cherrypicker555 what is your problem? Did you ever even serve in the organisation your harping on about?

Oh and by the way the PDF can and does operate a mechanised infantry battalion overseas with everything bar the helos, air defence and rdf support. At home they have it all thought the air defence is somewhat dated and the rdf support questionable but its still there.

Fair enough, the simply reality is Ranger Wing selection is as demanding as permitted due to the small pool of candidates, passive/neutral nature of the state, poor fitness ethos in the PDF, PDF being unionised/politicaly correct, etc. I seriously think if an Irish army soldier/recruit got beasted, ie exercised till serious exhaustion as a punishment there is a good chance the army/govt would get sued, this culture exists throughtout the PDF.

In regards ARW test week replacing one of the group marches with a solo mountain navigation/tab/yomp exercise might be a better test of initiative, map reading skills, ability to operate alone, etc, then two group marches.

I get what your saying in relation to the PDF itself and it becoming more PC nowadays, and i must say the fitness ethos is terrible to say the least but to translate that to selection would be wrong as PC stays at the gate of the ARW camp, things are VERY different down there and it doesnt reflect the PDF whatsoever, its a total different ball game.

there are a lot of map reading exercises on the course and even the prelims around the curragh which i can vouch as being tougher than mountain exercises(navigation wise!) as the land is flat and there are less features etc..

besides the ground phase of selection is around 10 days out and by the end of it theres plenty of oppertunities for solo navigation as theres nobody bloody left!!:D

Tribunius wrote: »
    Cherrypicker555 what is your problem? Did you ever even serve in the organisation your harping on about?

Oh and by the way the PDF can and does operate a mechanised infantry battalion overseas with everything bar the helos, air defence and rdf support. At home they have it all thought the air defence is somewhat dated and the rdf support questionable but its still there.

Yes I did, if you think the PDF can put out a fully functioning mechanised infantry battalion with all the support units, clearly you have never.

I get what your saying in relation to the PDF itself and it becoming more PC nowadays, and i must say the fitness ethos is terrible to say the least but to translate that to selection would be wrong as PC stays at the gate of the ARW camp, things are VERY different down there and it doesnt reflect the PDF whatsoever, its a total different ball game.

there are a lot of map reading exercises on the course and even the prelims around the curragh which i can vouch as being tougher than mountain exercises(navigation wise!) as the land is flat and there are less features etc..

besides the ground phase of selection is around 10 days out and by the end of it theres plenty of oppertunities for solo navigation as theres nobody bloody left!!:D

Woman can do wing selection, thus its pc, we also have PDFORRA advising members not to do selection as they might get injured.

This is one of the reasons we dont have a decent assault course, the army would be scared of recruits falling off and sueing.

By solo navigation, I meant at night over mountains in poor conditions, sleet, fog etc someting that was a serious challenge, but once against if someone got injured they would sue.

PDFORRA are already saying infantry wearing daysacks on exercise may cause back strain.

Oh FFS :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

Woman can do wing selection, thus its pc, we also have PDFORRA advising members not to do selection as they might get injured.

This is one of the reasons we dont have a decent assault course, the army would be scared of recruits falling off and sueing.

By solo navigation, I meant at night over mountains in poor conditions, sleet, fog etc someting that was a serious challenge, but once against if someone got injured they would sue.

PDFORRA are already saying infantry wearing daysacks on exercise may cause back strain.

you realy havent a clue buddy!

Is there any reason you brought up a thread from a few months ago just to post something that has nothing to do with the topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

Poccington wrote: »
    Is there any reason you brought up a thread from a few months ago just to post something that has nothing to do with the topic?

why is it against the rules to comment on old posts...? or have you just got a bone to pick.

also the comment i made has everything to do with the topic, the guy i replied to was trying to paint a picture of the ARW that was not factual i was merely letting him now he does not know what he is talking about.

TomRooney wrote: »
    why is it against the rules to comment on old posts...? or have you just got a bone to pick.

also the comment i made has everything to do with the topic, the guy i replied to was trying to paint a picture of the ARW that was not factual i was merely letting him now he does not know what he is talking about.

No, it's just pointless to try have a discussion with someone that doesn't post on this forum anymore.

No harm done though.

I'm locking this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement