Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small business server, can u add another to a domain?

• 01-11-2008 7:56pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    We have a server with SBS 2003 installed on it, it was in another office and was the domain controller and all that.

Now I am not hectic with knowledge of setting up servers or that so bear with me please.

We have a server already which runs SBS 2003 and is the domanin controller and runs DHCP and active directory.
    Now we need to add a new server, this server is required to run terminal services for 5 users.

Now, first off, can we demote the "new" SBS 2003 server, so that it can be used as another server on the domain? I have read varied reports, some say you can, some say you cannot.

I would prefer not to have to waste this SBS server and have to go out and buy a new license.

Also does SBS 2003 come with an terminal services licenses??

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭tech

in your existing SBS 2003 domain you can Add as many as you like member servers to act as file, TS , applications servers

SBS - has to run AD and Exchange DNS, these roles cant be transfered to another member server in the Domain

If you add a member server you will need a 2003 standard license, if you want TS you will also need to buy TS licenses

You can add TS licensing to the existing SBS server

please correct me if im wrong

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ok thanks for that.

So can I just demote the 2nd SBS 2003 and add it as a standard server, without wipping the OS and installing a new one?

Or do I have to forget about the 2nd server with SBS 2003 and format the drive and install a new version of Server 2003?

How much is 5 TS licencses, is it 2 or 3k euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭tech

you will need a 2003 Standard license i doubt you can use the SBS 2003 licence

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if there are a lot of clients then
    if you use windows 2000 server then XP clients automatically have a TS client license

windows 2003 license can be downgraded to 2000
    not sure about SBS 2003 going to 2000 though
    and you would still need terminal server license

don't forget that if you go from SBS then you may need additional server licenes and CAL's for other services like exchange

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Aye, I think that the SBS 2003 is going to redundant I think :) SO what I gather now is that the server with SBS 2003 cant be demoted and used as another server on our domain which already has a server running SBS 2003 and is our DNS and Exchange server as it may cause issues.

So then I need to get a new OS, probably Server 2003, wipe the server with SBS 2003 and install Server 2003.
    Also get TS and install this,with 5 cals.

Am I on the right track? :)

I wonder would Microsoft do a trade-in with the SBS 2003 for Server 2003 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

Yes thats right.
    SBS cannot be demoted to a standard / member server.
    However you can have other servers as domain controllers within a SBS domain.
    You would need to get another server license, however have you thought about windows 2008 as your terminal server? There are some fancy features with TS Gateway making it more secure for people to connect without VPN's.....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Niall F

You should be able to move from SBS 2003 to Windows Standard 2003. I believe MS have what's called a Transition Pack. Wouldn't know about licencing though. Simplest and quickest it to wipe and re-build it with Windows 2003

Advertisement