Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco looks to build 4 island petrol station

Options
  • 01-11-2008 7:58pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought you might be interested to hear that Tesco have recently applied for permission to build a 4 island Petrol Station along with a Kiosk/Shop, Cark Wash and all associated site works. The application is for the slot of land as you drive into the complex on your right hand side. The station would be open 24/7.

Tesco recently reduced their prices to 99c per litre for petrol (including the discount code if you shop in the store). The opening of this station in Tramore will provide even more competition - with all stations in Tramore currently run by the one owner and have been very expensive for sometime.

If Super Valu continue with their plans for their petrol station, and overcome the objections, it should be very interesting considering the two stores are already competing. I would imagine Super Valu hoped to entice customers back by copying Tesco - you will see that they have started selling electronics, offering discount vouchers, redesigned the store (seeking planning permission to redesign the exterior also), introduced a value club card and building a petrol station to really pull in customers. Looks like Tesco are not going to take it lying down either, despite having a successful launch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Where is this to go ahead??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

She Devil wrote: »
    Where is this to go ahead??

Not sure exactly what your asking but..

1) Without delays, the decission will be given to them early December.
    2) Its being located on Summerhill beside where the new Tesco is open (there is a small patch of land as you turn into Tesco on your right, its being built here), where Lidl and the general retail units are being developed.
    3) To enter/exit the station, you need to drive into the Tesco grounds and there will be an enterance for the station at the start of the complex.

I forgot to mention, there also adding a Car Wash - something which I dont think is in the Waterford one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Good news, should shake up the two existing stations a bit. Nothing but good ever happens petrol prices when Tesco move in (unless you own a petrol station that is :D )
    Sully wrote: »
    2) Its being located on Summerhill beside where the new Tesco is open (there is a small patch of land as you turn into Tesco on your right, its being built here), where Lidl and the general retail units are being developed.

On the right, where the hoardings are? I'd assumed that was going to be the Lidl. You don't mean the bit on the left after you turn in from Summerhil that goes up to the ESB substation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

Personally, I cant see them getting the planning permission for it! It seems a bit too close to a massive residential area for tanks of petrol and for 24/7 opening - they didnt get planning permission to even open the shopping store 24 hours due to it being a residential area!

Another petrol station in Tramore would be good for competition - even though the petrol prices in Tramore are not cheap but they arent 'very' expensive either - they are cheaper than some of the stations in Waterford.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

JMcL wrote: »
    Good news, should shake up the two existing stations a bit. Nothing but good ever happens petrol prices when Tesco move in (unless you own a petrol station that is :D )

On the right, where the hoardings are? I'd assumed that was going to be the Lidl. You don't mean the bit on the left after you turn in from Summerhil that goes up to the ESB substation?

Sorry, I mean left hand side. Lidls going over on the far right past the traffic lights tho.
    depaor wrote: »
    Personally, I cant see them getting the planning permission for it! It seems a bit too close to a massive residential area for tanks of petrol and for 24/7 opening - they didnt get planning permission to even open the shopping store 24 hours due to it being a residential area!

Are you serious? They wanted 24/7 and were refused? Never saw that in any condition attached to the planning. Seems a bit mad!

Well, if you look at Super Valu - they wanted one in a far tighter space slap bang in the middle of a retail area with houses and a garda station right beside it. Objections there were mainly the canaopy and the fact Super Valu wouldnt talk to them.
    Another petrol station in Tramore would be good for competition - even though the petrol prices in Tramore are not cheap but they arent 'very' expensive either - they are cheaper than some of the stations in Waterford.

Been very expensive right before the budget when they dropped prices, then hiked them again, before dropping. There about standard now but still pricy - Tesco would be cheaper then them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Duffman-oohyeh

depaor wrote: »

Can I ask where you heard about them looking for 24 hour store?
    I agree with sully , it wasnt on any of the planning permission forms, and im working there and all management said they are planning on seeing how business goes for the 6 month - 1 year before applying for 24hour!

In my opinion they wont open 24 hour untill the petrol station opens. The petrol station should bring a lot more people to tesco.

I also think when lidl is open and everything else in the area opens it will bring a bigger crowd to tesco and really effect super valu!

And lidl is started diagnolly across from tesco not straight over!

The only thing i could see really stopping the station going ahead is the ESB power station right beside it! Im not too sure myself but would that not be dangerous! Personally i would like to see the station go ahead!

Looking at the submissions to the application i doubt it will get the go ahead. Apparently it breaks the local area plan, traffic would be a bigger mess, the electrical station would result in greater risk of potential problems and the residents were promised a car park would be put there insteade

Well the good news is that Tesco have been given permisson for a new petrol station. With Super Value also buidling a petrol station this should increase competiton with the existing two stations in the town and between the two supermarkets to offer the best deals for shopping and petrol together.

Thankfully, since petrol is so expensive in Tramore and in general we should now be getting petrol at better prices!

(This may be objected to An Bord Pleanála)

Edit: Most of the conditions are safety based. Three are unique - a bus stop has to be provided to the north east of the development and the sign cant have a glare with the fascia being slated and not illuminated.

Had a few people wondering what the story with this is, so I looked it up.

Its been appealed by Ballycarnane/summerhill Rise Residents Association and a decession is due the end of July. The appeal was lodged towards the end of March.

Advertisement