Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My VRT Story

Options
  • 01-11-2008 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

I imported a (Oct) 2005 Audi A4 2.0 TDI S-Line fully loaded with extras and I nervously went to pay the VRT yesterday in Tallaght. The ros.ie website has 3 options for the Co2 for my car; 151mg, 156mg, 161mg, the 1st one being just under 4,000 euros, the last 2 being 5,000+ euros VRT.

The V5 said 158g but I brought in print offs from the VCA website and the 151mg print off from ros.ie and a bankers draft for the exact amount of the lower VRT and the very nice woman who dealt with me didn't even blink and just imputed the details and took the draft and handed me my new registration. No inspection of the car, no extra charge for the optional extras, just a nice smile as I walked away!

Big relief after the recent horror stories I have been hearing about the revenue squeezing every last penny out of importers.

Anyone else have any VRT stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Generally they just take it as it is.

IF you have everything prepared and ready they will love you as its a straight in and straight out job no hassle for them.

Also helps to tell them your an accountant, it puts the ****s up them not to make a mistake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

nice 1, how much after clearing if you dont mind me asking, the a4 are a lovley car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

PM sent regarding cost etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I imported a (Oct) 2005 Audi A4 2.0 TDI S-Line fully loaded with extras and I nervously went to pay the VRT yesterday in Tallaght. The ros.ie website has 3 options for the Co2 for my car; 151mg, 156mg, 161mg, the 1st one being just under 4,000 euros, the last 2 being 5,000+ euros VRT.

The V5 said 158g but I brought in print offs from the VCA website and the 151mg print off from ros.ie and a bankers draft for the exact amount of the lower VRT and the very nice woman who dealt with me didn't even blink and just imputed the details and took the draft and handed me my new registration. No inspection of the car, no extra charge for the optional extras, just a nice smile as I walked away!

Big relief after the recent horror stories I have been hearing about the revenue squeezing every last penny out of importers.

Anyone else have any VRT stories?

Jammy tosser! Congrats and happy driving. Still waiting for a reply about my appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

Glad to hear everything went well for you, my experience with the Dundalk VRO was the complete opposite, don't want to go into detail, but if I heard Jim Hensen was the name of the office manager I wouldn't be at all surprised!

• Advertisement

Thanks!! I got the plates on her yesterday.

It was a big relief walking out the VRO door, but I must say the staff in the Tallaght office were very nice and helpful too, you don't often hear about the good ones!

All I have to do is tax her tomorrow and its a done deal.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Glad to hear everything went well for you, my experience with the Dundalk VRO was the complete opposite, don't want to go into detail, but if I heard Jim Hensen was the name of the office manager I wouldn't be at all surprised!

Really, how bad was it? I got a decent woman in Dundalk back in May, I told her the amount as I had already looked it up, she checked herself on the revenue website then and I handed her the fee. No questions asked, a fully loaded 7 series. And its the smallest engined 7 you can get and it mustn't even have crossed her mind that I could have been declaring a small engine.

No vehicle inspection either.
    In and out, badda bing badda boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

aside from having to give them a big chunk of change my experience with them was very good.

imho, you get out what you put in with them. as much as i hated doing it and felt like I was being robbed, I knew there was nothing I could do about it so I just went in with the attitude that the woman I saw was just doing my job and took no pleasure in taking my money any more than I did giving i up and it went very smoothly.

I had everything I needed and aside from having to go to the bank to get a bankers draft and then come back it was plain sailing, no inspection, no nothing and we both had a good laugh about it, she was a really nice lady.

that said, she was the sort of woman youcould see if you'd gone in there with an attitude she'd have taken great pleasurein tearing afew strips off you, but then who wouldn't in the same situation?

it's just common sense, like not arguing with customs at the airport, same as anything, there's always the easy way and the hard way. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭conor2949

Hi there,

I've just brought in a 96 Audi Avant TDI 110.

I intend paying the VRT tomorrow and getting her taxed.

Is it true that although the car qualifies for the 20% VRT rate, she will be still forced to pay the old Motor tax regime of a 1.9 litre engine?

I thought this was total rubbish but a neighbour just brought in an S40 - got the cheap VRT rate but was told he'd be taxed under the 1.9 litre regime - this started to get me worried!

Any thoughts?

thanks
    Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Yes you will pay Road Tax on the old system. Any pre 2008 cars pay tax on the old system.

Bringing my 06 320 in tomorrow to VRT it. Have got the bankers draft already so hope they don't look for extras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

conor2949 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've just brought in a 96 Audi Avant TDI 110.

I intend paying the VRT tomorrow and getting her taxed.

Is it true that although the car qualifies for the 20% VRT rate, she will be still forced to pay the old Motor tax regime of a 1.9 litre engine?

I thought this was total rubbish but a neighbour just brought in an S40 - got the cheap VRT rate but was told he'd be taxed under the 1.9 litre regime - this started to get me worried!

Any thoughts?

thanks
    Conor

Yes. Youll only go on the new car tax regime if the car is 08 on. makes sense really...otherwise ud never shift the older cars at all.. bad an all as it is right now to shift one.

foxirl wrote: »
    Bringing my 06 320 in tomorrow to VRT it. Have got the bankers draft already so hope they don't look for extras

Good luck, make sure you have the print off from the ros.ie website for your car, it makes the whole process much faster.....

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

Really, how bad was it? I got a decent woman in Dundalk back in May, I told her the amount as I had already looked it up, she checked herself on the revenue website then and I handed her the fee. No questions asked, a fully loaded 7 series. And its the smallest engined 7 you can get and it mustn't even have crossed her mind that I could have been declaring a small engine.

No vehicle inspection either.
    In and out, badda bing badda boom.

Well ONE of the problems that I had was, the ROS web site states that payment can be made by Laser card(>1500Euro), but cash would not be excepted.
    Well in Dundalk!!!!!! you guessed it, they don't except laser cards and except cash!

Lol, I went in with a credit card, had to go off and get the bank draft. The queuing system in there is a laugh, there's only room for 5 people, so everyone is sitting all over the place...

I went in today to VRT my 2006 BMW 320 with the print out from their website. I am pretty sure my car is an E46 model but the woman in revenue insists taht they stopped making the E46 in 2005 so it must be an E90 and therfore more VRT must be paid. How can I convince her that its and E46.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Foxirl, That happened to me too when i was clearing my boyfriends bmw for him, she had to revert back to the 'old system' as she put it to get the correct price. Must be a glitch in their system.

BendiHorse,

It wasn't a problem with the system. She just had a sheet of paper listing the launch dates for BMW and it showed that the E46 was finished in 2005 which is incorrect. She says that the car is an E90. An E90 is a saloon so it can't be that but there is no talking to her.

2005_bmw_320_si_01_m.jpg

E90

BMW320i_E46_Lim.jpg

E46

Which style is your car like?

Hi Rabbitinlights,

Ya I know its the E46. It's not me that needs convincing. Its the woman at the VRT office. Anyway she is sending the details to Rosslare to check for extras so hopefully they will clear up the matter.
    I will be appealing the VRT anyway as the OMSP is way too high on both of them especially in todays market.

Fox

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

how about you offer them a deal that if they want to charge you that VRT rate that they think it's worth according to the OMSP that you'll put it up for sale at THAT total price and as soon as you get a serious offer to buy it at that price you'll pay them the VRT. :)

they think it's worth that then there shouldn't be any problems for them to wait a few days till a keen buyer snaps it up at that bargain price. ;)

it's actually a shame it doesn't work like that you'd never have to pay the VRT. :D

• Advertisement

That's a laugh, "its a 2006, therefore its an E90". Surely they can't go by that alone? Many a car is built in one year and registered in another.

Advertisement