Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marc Michel's

Options
  • 01-11-2008 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what's happened there? Are they closed for a refit or closed? I couldn't believe it when I heard - it was always so busy..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

They're closed. I heard the were forced to close because the driveway leading up to the place was insufficient. Apparently they needed to have a two lane drive?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

wingding wrote: »
    They're closed. I heard the were forced to close because the driveway leading up to the place was insufficient. Apparently they needed to have a two lane drive?!?

that doesn't make much sense, plenty of restaurants have no driveway or parking...

loyatemu wrote: »
    that doesn't make much sense, plenty of restaurants have no driveway or parking...

I'm just saying what I heard. My Mum rang them up ages ago, when they had just closed and this is what she was told. Anyway they were closed down for some reason...

Found this: http://www.goodfoodireland.ie/index.cfm/section/news/key/229
    (closed due to planning issues.)

Oh and they had parking, that wasn't an issue. It was the something to do with the long drive and safety for frequent traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I know Wicklow County Council were trying to close them down a few years ago on a planning discrepancy but I thought that it was sorted out. Obviously not. That's a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Another victory for those who do nothing and get paid for it over decent hard working people providing an excellent service.

• Advertisement

Another victory for those who do nothing and get paid for it over decent hard working people providing an excellent service.

Providing local employment too, but sure, don't we have too many jobs...

I remember having a coffee with Marc about 3 years ago and he was talking passionately about carrots (as you you can only do if you are an organic farmer :)) and he was telling me about Wicklow Co CO. Whilst we were chatting he got the call from Food and Wine (food and drink?) Magazine to let him know he'd been nominated for restaurant of the year (or something like that). It was crazy - recognition for the great job he was doing yet the local council was trying to close him down. They were absolutely hell bent on closing him down for some reason. Maybe it's because Bono went there.. :p

Wicklow Co Co make me furious on so many issues. What's worse is that I used to work with them so I've seen the inner circle. :eek:

* storms off to have yet another rant about bloody local council having far too much power and NO accountabilty.*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fabulusbakerboy

Its surely a coincidence that Wicklow County Council want to close him down seeing as organic farms need clean air and lack of pesticide etc in the area around them, surely the Council aren't picking on a small enterprise because of its location in an area that could be developed...hmmm.
    Its a joke! What bull**** about a lane way, again the big boys picking on somebody trying to earn a living and provide a decent service. Typical of the **** politicians these days.. short sighted, and only looking out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

If theres a planning safety issue then its good enough reason for them to get sorted. You can rant on about politicians/working man/local jobs etc etc but if its unsafe then it unsafe

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If theres a planning safety issue then its good enough reason for them to get sorted. You can rant on about politicians/working man/local jobs etc etc but if its unsafe then it unsafe
    I've only been there a couple of times, but it's a dirty rutted single lane track leading up to the place. I was convinced I'd gone the wrong way the first time I went there it was so bad. I wouldn't exactly class it as unsafe, just very, very uncomfortable and your car needs washing every time you visit. Maybe he applied for planning permission for some kind of extension / upgrade of the premises and providing better vehicular access was one of the prerequisites of getting PP, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

From memory it's a long tree lined avenue type drive up to it. Well signed and 10kph. Hardly dangerous. As their house is up the end, it is reasonable that they wanted to keep the character of the driveway and avoid putting in a road. Like most of the other posters above I just find it sickening that these council and food safety people take everything to the nth degree when it comes to implementing things which stuff up the liveliehoods of others but are incapable of doing a days work themselves without breaks,unions,benchmarking and sickies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

All,

Try to stick to the topic (although there's not much else to say).

Save your rants against the council for another thread.

Mike

You know you're dying to join in ;)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I couldn't possibly. :(

Never went to Marc Michel's.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Never went to Marc Michel's.

Could you not make it up their driveway?

/stir it up some...

Advertisement