Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Celtic vs Man Utd 05/11/2008 (Pre/During/After Match Discussion)

• 01-11-2008 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

b_94.png-vs- b_12.png
    Glasgow Celtic -vs- Manchester United
    UEFA Champions League
    Group E
    5th Nov 2008
    KO 19:45
    Ground: Celtic Park

Match News to follow

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

A tad bit early dont you think. Plenty of matches taken place between now and Wednesday night,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Archimedes wrote: »
    b_94.png-vs- b_12.png
    Glasgow Celtic -vs- Manchester United
    UEFA Champions League
    Group E
    5th Nov 2008
    KO 19:45
    Ground: Celtic Park

Match News to follow
    Aquos76 wrote: »
    A tad bit early dont you think. Plenty of matches taken place between now and Wednesday night,

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I did think also it was early for this, they seem to be getting early plus Aquos has become the thread starter of late for these threads.

Ah well, Fight Fight Fight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Oh noes! Has I ended your record?

Its just a thread ffs.

Jesus, I have no problems with whoever starts the thread, my point was and still is, the game is not on until Wednesday evening. I sorry I said anything now.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote: »
    Oh noes! Has I ended your record?

Its just a thread ffs.

And no you have not, check back and see who created our previous midweek thread:D Boggles can take the credit for that;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Whip noise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Jesus this thread is a joke ffs :/ Who gives a toss if its " early "

Anyways, I think United should cruise this, we are looking dangerous going forward, as long as Fergie doesn't decide to go too cautious :/
    Rooney and Ronaldo to score in a 2-0 victory :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hopefully Celtic will not capitulate like they did at OT. I would put Sheridan up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And no you have not, check back and see who created our previous midweek thread:D Boggles can take the credit for that;)

I had to, I got sick of waiting for you Aquos yeah lazy git. :D

The match will be a physical encounter, would have been handy to have hargreaves fit for this one, Anderson and Fletcher should provide enough tackling in midfield thou. Celtic can raise it, especially with the crowd etc, going for a score draw. Hopefully no injuries for the horror month ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

So frustrated going into these games with crucial injuries. We might be stuck having to play Hartley which means you're on the back foot before you start. Anyway, Cillian Sheridan will most likely start this game so good for Ireland.

Anyway, Celtic have a match in an hour. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

This match is pretty meaningless, it doesn't really matter who wins cause the top 2 have already qualified. Its like watching Glasgow play in a qualifier for the UEFA cup against a team with nothing to play for :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Gareth37 wrote: »
    This match is pretty meaningless, it doesn't really matter who wins cause the top 2 have already qualified. Its like watching Glasgow play in a qualifier for the UEFA cup against a team with nothing to play for :o
    True. Nothing to be embarrassed about. :)

Anyway, Strachan:
    "I've asked all my players, the internationals, the Scottish guys who beat France twice in the Euro 2008 qualifying and gave Italy a hard time, and they all agree that United are the best in the world, better than any club side they've met and any of the international teams they've played."

And that's with Fletcher in midfield... He says that Boruc didn't make 1 save in the match too. I thought for once Celtic's central defence was superb away from home in Europe. McManus was class. It was set pieces they scored 2 from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

eirebhoy wrote: »
    True. Nothing to be embarrassed about. :)

Anyway, Strachan:
    "I've asked all my players, the internationals, the Scottish guys who beat France twice in the Euro 2008 qualifying and gave Italy a hard time, and they all agree that United are the best in the world, better than any club side they've met and any of the international teams they've played."

And that's with Fletcher in midfield... He says that Boruc didn't make 1 save in the match too. I thought for once Celtic's central defence was superb away from home in Europe. McManus was class. It was set pieces they scored 2 from.

Im backing Celtic today against Hearts, 2-0 or 2-1 or 3-0 ;)

Foster to start, looking forward to getting a decent look at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

So Brown and VDS not in contention for tonight leaves SAF with two interesting choices.

With Neville playing the full 90 against Hull I think asking him to play tonight and against Arsenal could be too much for him so I will go with Da Silva for this game.

As for the keeper situation well VDS is only being rested so he will be back in for Arsenal no matter what. As Fergie said yesterday it really seems like a flip of the coin. One of them plays tonight one of them in the Carling Cup. However I want to see Foster start, time to start finding out if he is as good as Fergie keeps saying.

Midfield well I think Carrick will be required on Saturday along with Fletcher, so I doubt the two of them could start tonight. With Carrick only playing 60-70 minutes or so. Fletcher getting last weekend off suggest to me he will be playing the next two games.

Left wing is also up for grabs between Nani and Park. To be honest I nearly see Park playing the two games as well.

Think Berb will get some time off tonight as well.

So we have

Foster
    ----Da Silva-Rio--Vidic-Evra--
    -Ronaldo-Carrick-Fletcher-Park
    Rooney--Tevez

However such is our squad it is impossible to pick a starting 11, so I probably just wasted 10 minutes coming up with that.

Boggles wrote: »
    Foster to start, looking forward to getting a decent look at him.

Ha we both obviously thought it was time to bump this thread.

Has this been confirmed? Fergies press conference seemed to suggest it would be either The Pole, or Foster, with one playing tonight and one in the carling cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I wonder will the Irish Utd fans join in the booing of The Fields tonight like many of them did at Old Trafford.:mad:

Ha we both obviously thought it was time to bump this thread.

Took me a while to fine this thread.
    Has this been confirmed? Fergies press conference seemed to suggest it would be either The Pole, or Foster, with one playing tonight and one in the carling cup?

Nothing confirmed yet of course.

I wonder will the Irish Utd fans join in the booing of The Fields tonight like many of them did at Old Trafford.:mad:

Was it not "You will never walk alone" they booed?

• Advertisement

Was it not "You will never walk alone" they booed?

Yeah thats what I thought too. Although at Old Trafford they shouldn't be booing songs the should just be making more noise than the opposition supporters.

Celtic to capitalise on the early unrest among United fans in this thread!

I figure Fergie should go for it tonight, a win gets us through and a win at Celtic Park is a good confidence builder ahead of Saturdays clash with the Gooners. Will be tough to do though, one of the trickiest away fixtures in Europe tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I wonder how many Irish Celtic fans follow and support Irish clubs. Away with yee and tat Irish-Celtic link. If there are Irish people that support Manchester United and they want to support there team, drowning out the Celtic supporters by booing over their song (or whatever other way) then I dont see the problem.

Fields of Athenry - A place in Galway, probably the least sectarianistic song adobted from us Irish sung by the Celtic fans to show support for the Celtic team. Supporters of Manchester United from England, India, Malta or Achill Island can boo it if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I hope United kick forty shades of green out of Celtic tonight.

I hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Neville is out too, so it's Da Silva at RB.

Foster needs to start playing soon or I can see him agitating for a move. He's 26 and has played f*ck all 1st team football at any decent level. Plus Fergie keeps saying (as recently as yesterday) that VDS has another year at least, maybe 2, left in him at the top level. Hardly fills Foster with confidence that he'll be the #1 any time soon! I know goalkeepers can play well in to their 60's (VDS is 38), but still.... ya gotta start SOME time!

My prediction:

Foster
    Rafa
    Rio
    Vida
    Pat

Carrick
    Fletch
    Ronaldo
    Park
    Rooney

Tevez

It wasn't "The Fields" that got boo'd, it was "You'll Never Walk Alone". :rolleyes:

And gerrouvit with the Celtic - Irish cr@p. Celtic are a Scottish club with some Irish connections. Big whoop. Supporting man united over Celtic does not make me any less "oirish".

+ 1 Des. I always wanna batter them in this fixture. I work with a Celtic (and Rovers/Liverpool) supporter who likes his smack talk so he's upped the stakes in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

An offside injury time winning goal for United will do just nicely. Save the goals for the Gooners....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Should Ronaldo not be rested? He's playing a lot of games for someone who's coming back from injury. He had no pre-season matches, bit risky playing him so much? We should still beat Celtic comfortably without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

It wasn't "The Fields" that got boo'd, it was "You'll Never Walk Alone". :rolleyes:

Was at this game and they booed both songs actually :p not that it bothered me it wasnt the songs per say or the Celtic fans they were booing it was the fact that both songs are also connected with Liverpool.

• Advertisement

roryc wrote: »
    Should Ronaldo not be rested? He's playing a lot of games for someone who's coming back from injury. He had no pre-season matches, bit risky playing him so much? We should still beat Celtic comfortably without him

He said he wants more games so as to sharpen up. Plus it seems silly to leave out a 23 year old who's firing on all cylinders in a game where if we win we're through. Could be good for saturday to have him play maybe 60 minutes tonight.

I just hope Tevez gets game time.

Yeh its frustrating to see Tevez sitting on the bench, the amount of effort he puts in every game. Hope we manage to hold on to him

btw what do yis think of my season tickets seats... front row beside the dugout :)

t_FrontRowseam_b7e0a8a.jpg

(CLICK PHOTO FOR LARGE IMAGE)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Would not mind seeing Rooney rested tonight , Think he needs some time out , His playing fantastic at the moment but its like watching a ticking bomb as well .
    As for the game Think we could be looking at a score draw , You cannot dismiss Celtic's home record .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

It was both, and the rest of your post followed in the same ignorant vein. Its a legitimate question about Irish fans booing an Irish song.

The 3-0 showed how under Strachan Celtic are going backwards. From a dirty Giggs dive for a penalty being the difference in OT in 2006 and beating them in Parkhead to a total capitulation and possibly the same tonight.

JVOH is a big loss, he made a fool of Rio in 06, as is Brown and Samaras.

The Celtic Park factor is about all that is going in Celtic's favour tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Its a legitimate question about Irish fans boing an Irish song.

Maybe the "Sinn Fein" "IRA" additions dont appeal to every Irish person?

Maybe people that even like the occasional sing song with a touch of "up the rebels" arent fond of other people/nations/clubs singing it and using it to support their team?

Maybe they just did it to drain out the opposition crowd? Another song might have done just as much but hey. Doing it to support the club they grew up liking.

Maybe some Irish are sick of this "link" between Celtic and our shore.

They're no more Irish than Luigi behind the counter in my local chipper.

But back to the game, I expect Tevez to start. Ronaldo rested maybe? This will be a tight game, Celtic could sneak it

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Its a legitimate question about Irish fans boing an Irish song.
    United fans booed it because Liverpool also sing an alternative version of the song. Simple as that really. I've heard it played at Old Trafford around St Patricks Day before and alot of people sang along without any boos.

I think its merely because Liverpool have started singing it recently.

• Advertisement

Reading the Manure fans on here reminds me why I avoid the Engerlish football threads on here like the plague.

Anyway, on a lighter note, this was posted on the Man Utd forum by an alledged Celtic fan. Gave me a laugh anyway

----

A Guide To the Celtic Squad

Here is my expected starting XI:

GK - Boruc - Chain smoking, Pope t-shirt wearing, Rangers hating goalkeeper going through a public bust up with his wife which is having an adverse effect on his game. On his day one of the worlds finest but recently he has been more Borat than Boruc recently and his drinking habits saw him suspended from the national team and fined £50k by Celtic. High profile recent errors against Rangers, youreslves and a comedic classic for Poland against Slovakia.

RB - Hinkel - Current German international signed in January from Seville where he was kept out the team by Dani Alves. Came with a lot of hype but proceeded to put in 11 months of completely inadequate performances against some of Europes top left wingers like Andrew Driver (Hearts) and Scott Arfield (Falkirk). Has came into something resembling half decent form over the last couple of weeks though

CB - Caldwell - The new darling of the Celtic support because he does what we love to see in Scottish football... he gets wired right in! Fck your technical ability, Ronaldo's and Berbatov. Give us a guy who's prepared to fly into a needless sliding tackle any day of the week. A real trier but not a lot else besides that. Slow and not particularly strong.

CB - McManus - A complete knob of a man. Celtic captain and media whore who seems to care more about his media image and his reputation with the infamous 'Tartan Army' than his club responsabilities. Think Beckham when he was going through his little-Englander phase make him ugly, take away his footballing ability and throw in some suicidal defending and you have McManus.

LB - Wilson - Have you ever saw the look on a rabbits face when a Range Rovers coming speeding towards him at 60mph? Well that look will be relatively calm compared to what you'll see from Wilson when Ronaldo comes within 15 yards of him. A slow, injury prone fool (I know it should be full but fool is more appropriate) back who has no place in the Champions League.

RM - Nakamura - If we get a free kick then WOOO! If we don't get a free kick then it kind of defeats the point of having him on the pitch. Already looking forward to a return home in January away from sunny Scotland.

CM - Brown - Coming into a bit of form. Likes to run around a lot and foul a lot and stare at people an awful lot. Thinks he's quite scarey when he's staring at people but he's not really.

CM - Donati - My tip for a surprise inclusion! Once cost Milan £10m as a 19 year old but spent a few seasons going on loan to other Serie A teams before arriving at Celtic Park. Started really well but then winter came, the gloves went on, he turned and pale shade of blue, appeared disinterested and finally disappeared around February 2008. Has only resurfaced in the last two matches.

CM - Robson - Looks like an extra from Take The High Road. I won't comment on his football ability.

LM - Maloney - Does well for someone who is a genuine midget.

CF - McDonald - A fat striker who will get a game because he's actually our only fit striker apart from some 19 year old who's played more Aussie rules football than real football.

Subs will be from Hartley (tramp), McGeady (dropped for being the only Celtic player with a bit of technical ability - not appreciated in Scotland), Sheridan (Gaelic/Aussie rules player), O'Dea (young Irish defender recently fined for fighting Rangers fans in the city centre), McCourt (Derry City legend), Naylor (9 years at the mighty Wolves).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Reading the Manure fans on here.

Manure, what age are you seven? That pisses me off no end for some reason.

Reading the Manure fans on here reminds me why I avoid the Engerlish football threads on here like the plague.

Pity you wouldn't piss off completely.

'Manure' fans? 'Engerlish'? Do you honestly think this comes across as witty or humerous? One of the main things I like about this soccer forum is the lack of non-funny childish comments like this.

If you have something FUNNY to post, or a bit of banter go ahead, but christ 'Manure' and 'Liversh*t' etc are just hackneyed and not funny....

yep, you precious little flowers are another reason I avoid these threads.

dry your eyes ffs. amazing considering the abuse Celtic and LoI fans take on here

• Advertisement

dry your eyes ffs. amazing considering the abuse Celtic and LoI fans take on here

Debate the match mate or GTFO.

Debate the match mate or GTFO.

I was, till one of you sensitive souls picked up on one line in the post.

Is this a thread for Utd fans only? Celtic fans are told to piss off, GTFO etc?

No wonder you are so loved :rolleyes:

Amazing to think that OhNoYouDidn't is still so bitter, even after all of the hand outs his team has received. Obviously jealous of the riches of United and other big clubs/organisations.

Anyway, on topic. I honestly think that United will find it very hard to break down Celtic at Parkhead. Celtic have a very good record there in the Champions League and to be quite honest I would settle for a draw. The Celtic support will be a huge factor if United don't get stuck into them early on.

PORNAPSTER wrote: »
    Amazing to think that OhNoYouDidn't is still so bitter, even after all of the hand outs his team has received. Obviously jealous of the riches of United and other big clubs/organisations.

Eh? :confused:
    PORNAPSTER wrote: »
    Anyway, on topic. I honestly think that United will find it very hard to break down Celtic at Parkhead. Celtic have a very good record there in the Champions League and to be quite honest I would settle for a draw. The Celtic support will be a huge factor if United don't get stuck into them early on.

United getting 'stuck' in is exactly the wrong tactic. If it comes down to mixing it, they won't win. If they use their superiour attacking players they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Well im a celtic fan and i find your contribution to this thread as childish and pathetic it thats any comfort to you

United getting 'stuck' in is exactly the wrong tactic. If it comes down to mixing it, they won't win. If they use their superiour attacking players they will
    What I mean by getting stuck in, is getting on top of Celtic early on. Celtic will come out all guns blazing at United tonight and that is a dead cert. United need to get stuck in to them and get on top as early as possible. Of course Celtic will be physical, but United have to match them with everything they have and then use the attacking players to pin Celtic down. This is the only way that United will keep the Parkhead crowd reasonably quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Well im a celtic fan and i find your contribution to this thread as childish and pathetic it thats any comfort to you

Aren't you a United or Liverpool fan as well?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Utd Team

FOSTER

RAFAEL
    RIO
    VIDIC
    O SHEA

FLETCHER
    CARRICK
    GIGGS

RONALDO
    TEVEZ
    NANI

:eek::eek: SEEMS 4-3-3

Berbs and Rooney on the bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

We are precious little flowers. You, on the other, are a fucking eyesore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

offical line up source-ssn

foster

rafael rio vidic o shea

ronaldo carrick fletcher nani

giggs

tevez

rather not see giggs near the team tbh

and where is manucho ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement