Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Celtic vs Man Utd 05/11/2008 (Pre/During/After Match Discussion)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Celtic with the same team that played on Sunday. Naka on the bench, McGeady injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Bench

KUSCZCAK , PARK , EVRA , ANDERSON ,EVANS , ROONEY , BERBS

Mutv predicting a 4-3-3 formation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Cillian Sheridan for Ireland surely, we don't have many strikers playing football at Champions League Level.

I can see this ending in a draw with that united team, but I have United to win in my accumalator.

EVERY single time I watch a match on RTE they have problems putting graphics on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Not sure what to think tbh, we might me a bit light in midfield unless Giggs delivers a performance which is nowhere near guaranteed!
    Im gona go with with a 1-1 draw here, hopefully Tevez can produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Wow Ronnie Whelan speaking some sense! :eek: Is there a full moon tonight!

Hell of a bench tonight for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Why did RTE spend 5 min on Berba, hes not even in the 1st 11. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be interesting to see how we actually line up, Tevez up on his own seems an odd one. I wounder if we could see Giggs on the left, Nani on the right with Tevez supporting Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Tauren wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how we actually line up, Tevez up on his own seems an odd one. I wounder if we could see Giggs on the left, Nani on the right with Tevez supporting Ronaldo.
    Cant see Giggs on the wing, doesnt really have the legs for it anymore. Id say he will play more centrally off Tevez with Ronnie and Nani out wide.

• Advertisement

Robson is a cert for a booking at least. Brown's a combative player but he can hold back. Robson can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Love RTE's coverage.

Bill: "Delap for Ireland?"

Eamon: "Yes. Why not? Bring him on for the last twenty minutes. I think he'd frighten the life out of the Italians. Bombs away!"

My sentiments exactly. :D

Back on topic, gutted Berba isn't playing. Hopefully he'll feature as I need the points.

I fancy 2-1 to United.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The celtic fans sing that far better than the scousers

Are the utd shirts a bit of mind games or have Utd got to wear them .

the blue jersey is a tribute to the 68 win (a season late....) and is the official away jersey for United in europe this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

why did the celtic player(think it was no. 8) hit the deck as Ronaldo was taking that free?

• Advertisement

the blue jersey is a tribute to the 68 win (a season late....) and is the official away jersey for United in europe this year.

But I taught that the away shirt was only used if there was a clash of colours, So wearing the blue when there was no clash was maybe a little bit of mind games by Fergie

Fks
    1-0

but great finish

Stunning finish. Hopefully this kick starts United. Should be a good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

austin-powers-cocktail-glass-4900072.jpg

Mike

First blood to Celtic so, Nice finish too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    But I taught that the away shirt was only used if there was a clash of colours, So wearing the blue when there was no clash was maybe a little bit of mind games by Fergie

Celtic played in yellow at Old Trafford. I think the shorts are viewed as clashing. Seems silly to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

So much for dicking about with the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

OhNoYouDidn't banned for 2 weeks. Back to football.

Fantastic finish.

Jeez.... this is thetype of game we could really have done with Hargreaves, useless sicknote.

mike65 wrote: »
    austin-powers-cocktail-glass-4900072.jpg

Mike
    Damn you Mike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    wouldnt say its mind games at all. its the CL away jersey they'll only have 7 opportunities at maximum to wear it

Bill wrote: »
    Damn you Mike!
    Tonight is the night Carlito needs to prove himself.

AAAAAAAH RIO :(

half chance for Rio, just didn't get it down to a strikable level.

Need Nani and Ronnie to stay out wide for a while, try and stretch the midfield. Both of them coming infield is making it to congested and easy to defend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

jaysus utd are all over them. matter of time before a goal.
    my guess is ronaldo will get one, just to rub it in the face of the celtic supporters booing him

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    jaysus utd are all over them. matter of time before a goal.
    my guess is ronaldo will get one, just to rub it in the face of the celtic supporters booing him

Loads of possesion, but the only real chance has been from a corner - playing too centrally to do anything imo. Ronnie and Nani coming infield too early and too often. Tevez doesn't work as the target man either, comes too deep too often for it. Needs a partner to play off and link to.

Giggs is ****e. Rooney or Berbatov is needed.

PHB wrote: »

he had been doing well recently.

Some nice touches from Ronaldo so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

tend to agree there. tevez is too small for the roll hes playing quite frankly. seen him pushed off and not able to reach 3/4 times now.
    its actually amazing how much better ronaldo is compared to anyone in a celtic jersey. i actually really hope he scores a screamer just to prove a point to parkhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

giggs isnt good enough the first team anymore

good sub thats all

He's been doing ok in central midfield. And earlier on he was doing ok in the wing. Up front, he's yet to put in a good performance in my memory.

tend to agree there. tevez is too small for the roll hes playing quite frankly. seen him pushed off and not able to reach 3/4 times now.
    its actually amazing how much better ronaldo is compared to anyone in a celtic jersey. i actually really hope he scores a screamer just to prove a point to parkhead

my biggest gripe with the target man game is that Berbatov is the only one of the 3 senior established forwards big enough to play the role, but he isn't a player you'd lump it to either - United don't have the players for a classic target man game, and the midfield generally isn't good enough attacking headers (apart from Ronaldo) to make use of the crosses from wide...

He's been doing ok in central midfield. And earlier on he was doing ok in the wing. Up front, he's yet to put in a good performance in my memory.
    Put fletch wide, giggs in the centre, ronnie up top.

my biggest gripe with the target man game is that Berbatov is the only one of the 3 senior established forwards big enough to play the role, but he isn't a player you'd lump it to either - United don't have the players for a classic target man game, and the midfield generally isn't good enough attacking headers (apart from Ronaldo) to make use of the crosses from wide...

i would love to see manucho play that role

but where is he

• Advertisement

For all the possesion, United have done nothing in the first half. So boring and devoid of real ideas when they get to the final third. The onger the game goes, the worse it will get to cause Celtic will simply get more dug in.

Very disappointing 45 minutes.

Giggs doing crap up front, Ronnie and Nani coming inside too often too soon, but if Ronnie doesn't come in Tevez is left isolated cause Giggs is so crap..

Would love to see Berbatov come on for Giggs to provide a focal point at half time, but we all know fergie, it will be close to 70mins before he changes anything.

Very disappointing, and a good show of why United struggle in these types of games.

Getting more annoyed by the minute.

Manucho has a cruciate injury if i'm not mistaken. December is his expected date I thought.

Anderson for Fletcher. Rooney for Giggs.

What point does he have to prove? :confused::confused:

Cracking finish from McDonald. Boruc still to touch the ball with his hands? More than happy so far. Maloney holding possession well.

Manucho has a cruciate injury if i'm not mistaken. December is his expected date I thought.

Anderson for Fletcher. Rooney for Giggs.
    When did that happen? Saw him play (kinda unimpressively) against City reserves last week.

i taught he was back no?

Berbatov on - hopefully for Giggs. please, please, please!

• Advertisement

Berbatov on - hopefully for Giggs. please, please, please!

nani

BERBS on , NANI off

Nani off Berbatov on for the second half

Wrong choice imo - should have been giggs off and Nani moved to the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

if it wasnt for rotation united wouldnt be playing so bad:D

cedltic to score again and win 2 zip

• Advertisement
Advertisement