Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Celtic vs Man Utd 05/11/2008 (Pre/During/After Match Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PHB wrote: »
    Shocking Berbatov, shocking.

I'll take the draw. Another poor performance. United better get a ****ing grip for Arsenal.
    At least our performance didn't drop off alarmingly in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

OHHHHHH BERBS HOW DID HE MISS

and worst other game finished 2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Tauren wrote: »
    At least our performance didn't drop off alarmingly in the second half.
    Ya cause this time we losing ....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Yeh id possibly agree with you Loyd, although we have Samaras, JVOH, Mcgeady and Nakamura. In O'Neill's squad there was always a slice of real quality that was a threat going forward (Larrsson, Petrov Sutton) , we dont really have that anymore and tend to rely more on our work and guile to win games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bill wrote: »
    At least it finished 2-2 in Denmark!

Harsh on Berbs

Good man Giggsy, you Legend!

that goal was only thing giggs did tonight

its amazing that he staying on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I used to think a few years ago that if Celtic were in the Premiership they could challenge for a place in Europe. These days I think they'd be at about Middlesbrough's level.

do you hear dunphy on about Ronaldo :rolleyes:

Seriously, I thought Ronaldo had a good game.

Who else is agreeing with Eamon? I honestly don't understand where his indignent rage is coming from.

I thought Ronaldo played decent as well. Seemed the most likely to create something in the final minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

allybhoy wrote: »
    Yeh id possibly agree with you Loyd, although we have Samaras, JVOH, Mcgeady and Nakamura. In O'Neill's squad there was always a slice of real quality that was a threat going forward (Larrsson, Petrov Sutton) , we dont really have that anymore and tend to rely more on our work and guile to win games.

Is Strachan bad in the transfer market iyo? Or is the club's relative disadvantage in league, finances, location to blame for being unable to compete for the necessary talent?

• Advertisement

Who else is agreeing with Eamon? I honestly don't understand where his indignent rage is coming from.

me too

taught he was a real danger

Dunphy is going berserk on Ronaldo :eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Another quality night of entertainment from the RTÉ panel tonight, once again eclipsing the game with the post-match analysis!:D

Have you switched yet? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Dunphy doesnt have a clue. A grumpy and bitter old man who relies on sensationalism and going against the grain to keep him in his job. A tired act at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

He is a ****, full of hot air. I once respected RTE's coverage of footie, but with Eamon Dunphy all they are doing is creating controversy here in Ireland. Fact of the matter is Eamonn talks more **** than sense.

this is why i generally don't watch footie on RTE - the bashing got old 2 years ago. I honestly thought he was one of our best players over the 90minutes. Biggest threat we had going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Bizarre, do they have nothing else to talk about?

It's like a sketch show, with the same discussion in a new scenario every week.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Have you switched yet? ;)

switched what? Channel? Watching it in work on stream so its RTE or nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

me too

taught he was a real danger

Dunphy is going berserk on Ronaldo :eek::rolleyes:

Thought Ronnie looked dangerous second half. Was instrumental in the goal - Eamo was probably busy sipping wine when that happened. Dunphy is getting boring at this stage.

Ronaldo shouldn't fall down and be frustrated apparently. It makes him an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Dunphy tearing Ronaldo apart is getting very dull......I don't like Ronaldo although he is a great player......but Dunphy appears to have some kind of grudge against the kid......comparisons with Best.....he has clearly forgotten the last 25 years of George Bests life hasn't he.......

And here comes the messi/kaka talk.

haven't seen Ronaldo spit at an opponent.
    kaka has only turned it on in the CL over the last few seasons, domestically he has been poor.

switched what? Channel? Watching it in work on stream so its RTE or nothing.

ok, but rants like this continue because they know we all watch them time and time again.

Dunphy tearing Ronaldo apart is getting very dull......I don't like Ronaldo although he is a great player......but Dunphy appears to have some kind of grudge against the kid......comparisons with Best.....he has clearly forgotten the last 25 years of George Bests life hasn't he.......
    Never mind about the last 25 years of Bests life, not relevent to who he was as a footballer or what he did, but should the fact he fell apart as a footballer and ended up playing against the United reserves at a fairly young age, or in the MLS for a fast easy buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Dunphy may come across as bitter and like a broken record, but if you can look at the game, the sport, the personalities, and separate the hype from the performances and the business that it is today, he makes some valid points.

Ronaldo is a gifted player, a man with supreme skill, but with a Jekyll and Hyde persona when it comes to acting like a professional footballer.

IMO, unless Ronaldo has a "born-again" moment and his attitude and personality and approach to the game change drastically, then no matter what his achievements, his team mate Ryan Giggs will be remembered as a true legend of the game that will be talked about in decades to come.

Skill and talent are not the only attributes the great sportsmen are judged on, also attitude, honesty of effort, professionalism, and most of all, performances in the face of adversity or when the odds are stacked against you.

Some of the achievements that CR has accomplished already are outstanding, his haul of goals last season alone is top class, but shite like that petulant kick, and the general play-acting and moodiness that he sometimes engages in on the pitch is not the hallmark of a great sportsman.

ok, but rants like this continue because they know we all watch them time and time again.

If i was at home, i'd be watching the game and highlights on ITV or Sky Sports, no doubt or quesiton about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

i'm so bored of RTE's coverage of Man Utd Champions League matches. all they ever do is talk about Ronaldo. no he didn't have a good game but christ why do they talk about nothing else??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Isn't Eamo forgetting Keano kicking that Porto keeper in the head a few seasons ago! Maybe that was professional play..

Kaki/Messi/Xavi - he's uncovered some hidden gems there

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

i won't. cos it's like a broken record. they just repeat the same thing again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

OMG! Manchester Uniteds season is over and ronaldo is the embodiment of evil. the proof is all there. :pac:

dunno, i turn around to listen to them and they are just sitting there harping on about how bad ronnie was. 22 players on a pitch... yet he is apparantly nothing on bobby robson and dare i say - giles. its a f**kin circle jerk on RTE, nothing more

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Souness is spending too much time in Dunphys company, He is slagging of Ronaldo over on Sky Sports now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

juvenal wrote: »
    Skill and talent are not the only attributes the great sportsment are judged on, also attitude, honesty of effort, professionalism, and most of all, performances in the face of adversity or when the odds are stacked against you.

You dont think Ronaldo has honesty of effort?

And you dont think 42 goals, Premier League and Champions League medals, an inevitable arsenal of World Player of the Year awards and his performances over the last 2 seasons given all the hatred in the press and boos he's received since the World Cup "Rooney" incident arent performing in the face of adversity?

Is Strachan bad in the transfer market iyo? Or is the club's relative disadvantage in league, finances, location to blame for being unable to compete for the necessary talent?

I think it has alot to do with location and the standard of the league. A mid week game in Nov /Dec/ Jan up there is not going to attract top players .

I think over the next few years ,what we may see is alot of younger players going and spending time in the SPL to gain first team football and put themselves in the shop window ( happening to a small extent already )

paulocon wrote: »
    Isn't Eamo forgetting Keano kicking that Porto keeper in the head a few seasons ago! Maybe that was professional play..

Kaki/Messi/Xavi - he's uncovered some hidden gems there

but even look at them - Kaka is incredably inconsistent domestically and Messi spat at an opponent the other night - every player has their bad points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Eamo on his Ronaldo rant :D just called him a brat :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Villareal draw tonight is a good result for Utd I think. As far as i can make out a 0-0 or score draw in the away game will mean a last day win at home to the danes will mean topping the group. an away win at villareal would be automatically topping group (i think).

brat he is now

If i was at home, i'd be watching the game and highlights on ITV or Sky Sports, no doubt or quesiton about that.

Cool. Well, personally I never watch post match analysis on the likes of Sky or the BBC because of it's bland nature. But I always watch RTE because there is a chance they will say something waaay out there.

Judging by the repeated complaints from fans on here every time they do these rants - many seem to take a similar approach. They are looking for a rise out of the fans and deliberately stirring it because they realize it sets them apart from their peers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Pat Dolan is far more articulate and entertaining than Dunphy when he has his controversial rants.

On the match, It was a poor game but Gordon Strachans substitutions were a disgrace. I mean going 5 at the back with 20 minutes to go against United is looking for trouble and the decision to take Maloney and McDonald of was a joke. They were the only two players who looked like being able to keep the ball and pose a threath on the counter.
    They deserve to win nothing playing like that.

However Giggs did a Kuyt on it and saved us, I could not believe Ferguson took Tevez off and left him on.

Only voted as the best by journalists... the FifPro Player of the Year, voted for by players means nothing. Uefa CL player of the year, voted for by managers means nothing., PFA awards....

How many PFA awards or football writers awards did becks get? Less than Keane.

Frickin idiots.

• Advertisement

Cool. Well, personally I never watch post match analysis on the likes of Sky or the BBC because of it's bland nature. But I always watch RTE because there is a chance they will say something waaay out there.

Judging by the repeated complaints from fans on here every time they do these rants - many seem to take a similar approach. They are looking for a rise out of the fans and deliberately stirring it because they realize it sets them apart from their peers.
    ya thats why i only watch rte coverage

very funney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Never mind about the last 25 years of Bests life, not relevent to who he was as a footballer or what he did, but should the fact he fell apart as a footballer and ended up playing against the United reserves at a fairly young age, or in the MLS for a fast easy buck.

I take it you are agreeing with me. To continue that theme, no one cares any more about the negatives of Best or Maradona or anyone else....people watch the highlights of their careers.....Ronaldo, if he continues to rise the way he has, will be remembered as a great.......and Dunphy probably the same in his field.......but continually calling the guy a "petulant brat".....is only courting controversy for the sake of it........15 minutes of an anti Ronaldo rant every couple of weeks will cause me to lose my football boner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Observers of the Scottish league can let me know if I'm way off base here as I only see Celtic's European games / odd Rangers game; but this seems to be by far the most limited squad Celtic have had since O' Neill took over*.

*i.e. through both his and Strachan's time in charge.
    Hartley and Robson played in midfield tonight. Very limited players and at most championship standard. Crosas was looking classy before injury. Brown, Naka, McGeady and Maloney as individuals are all brilliant. I don't know about those 5 in the same midfield but only 2 of them played tonight. Samaras and Vennegoor obviously would have helped up front too.

I'm disappointed that Celtic have looked so crap in the CL this season because I actually think it's Strachan's best squad bar the few months Keane was there. The players seem to think so too. I think I've gone on plenty about how much negative influence Hartley can have on a team. The difference with Scotland when he was dropped was huge. And Robson is just a midfield version of Stephen Hunt. Very little composure. Celtic have always looked like a pretty limited team with those 2 in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I used to think a few years ago that if Celtic were in the Premiership they could challenge for a place in Europe. These days I think they'd be at about Middlesbrough's level.

Well its a good thing no1 cares what you think...that's a stupid comment. U seem to forget that Celtic beat you's 2 seasons ago and were unlucky to get a draw in Old Trafford. Im not saying were the best team ever but comments like that are disrespectful so please keep them to yourself.

Rossi scored for Villarreal tonight, Remember him.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Rossi scored for Villarreal tonight, Remember him.

Was a cracking goal too.

allybhoy wrote: »
    Well its a good thing no1 cares what you think...that's a stupid comment. U seem to forget that Celtic beat you's 2 seasons ago and were unlucky to get a draw in Old Trafford. Im not saying were the best team ever but comments like that are disrespectful so please keep them to yourself.

Think people fail to factor in the TV money - if Celtic were a prem team, with 60k a week and the tv money, with their history, they would be able to attract, sign and afford to pay a higher quality of player. The current celtic side would be midtable over the course of a season, but if Celtic had been in the prem for the last two seasons, they would have a very different team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Was a cracking goal too.

it was nothing special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

This group is pretty much over with regards to knock out spots, Aalborg and Celtic to fight it out for 3rd spot

it was nothing special

what :confused::confused:

it was a great goal

• Advertisement
Advertisement