Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill Walking clubs

Options
  • 01-11-2008 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi, i am very interested in joining a hill walking club, but i am only 16, just wondering if anybody knows any clubs in Dublin who allow under 18's walk with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I can't see any reason why not to be honest. Have you contacted any clubs yet to ask? There's a list of MCI affiliated clubs on the MCI's website at http://www.mountaineering.ie/nearestclub/viewdetails.asp?catID=9 you can check, and most have email addresses you can contact them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Well i emailed a number of clubs (including an oige!) and they all told me that their insurence doesnt cover under 18s!

keenan110 wrote: »
    Well i emailed a number of clubs (including an oige!) and they all told me that their insurance doesn't cover under 18s!
    That's interesting. Most clubs are affiliate to the MCI and get their club insurance through them. So it would be the MCI, or rather their insurance company/broker/whatever who would be making that restriction.

Maybe you should contact the MCI directly (01-6251115) and ask them what the story is? It may be that the insurance doesn't cover them as a club if they have under-18's on the walks with them, rather than you yourself not being insured. It's a bit of a ridiculous situation if that's the case ... I mean, we're supposed to be actively encouraging young people to get out and get a bit of exercise, after all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Have you thought about joining Venture scouts?

see www.scouts.ie or have a look on the scouting forum here on boards for more information/contacts.

Could be right up your street.

Gil

Many clubs adopt the standard MCI constitution, which has a clause, which may be omitted, saying that you have to be 18years or older to be a member.

In fairness, most clubs have difficulties in recruiting people in their 20s, never mind ,teens.

• Advertisement

Many clubs adopt the standard MCI constitution, which has a clause, which may be omitted, saying that you have to be 18years or older to be a member.
    That would explain it, then.
    In fairness, most clubs have difficulties in recruiting people in their 20s, never mind ,teens.
    Unfortunately true. The average age seems to be late 40's - 60's in my experience, with an overwhelming majority being women for some odd reason. Not that that bothers me overly much personally since I fall into that age category too, but it does tend to put off younger people joining when they turn up for a walk to see a big group of people who all look like their grandmother! Not sure what the solution is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Copied from the An Oige website...

An Óige Young Hillwalkers Club

Now available are exciting introductory walks on the mountains for young walkers at weekends!

All walks are graded easy and supervised by experienced hill walkers. An adventurous programme is now in place for the Autumn months!

These walks are suitable for 14-18 age group and transport is provided

For further details contact Frank Dempsey on 087 2446027

Or register by emailing your details to yhwgroup@gmail.com and recieve an information pack!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Thanks a million for all the advice, ill look into the an oige club!
    Cheers

Advertisement