Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keeping warm when fishing

Options
  • 01-11-2008 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

I really enjoyed the sea fishing off the peirs so much this summer, caught some pollock, makreal and even saw some dog fish pulled in

however its so dark and cold now :( I miss going out with my rod

What should I do is there like rivers I could be hitting with some friends with a camp fire or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

You could go out pike fishing to a lake at this time of the year. Altough I wouldn't recommend lighting fires...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

I was thinking it might be ilegal alright

guess just need to wrap up, where can i get information on lakes near dublin?

what sort of bait for pike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Cant see there being a problem lighting a fire if you know how to do it properly and are no where near a house or any road. I've lit fires before but always careful to leave it as i found it.

Can use anything for pike - roach, mackerel, bluey's, trout, perch etc... dead bait cant be bought in every tackel shop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

all good tackle shops...

you could spin with lures... or if your mad enough... fly fish.

lure fishing or sink and draw deadbaiting shopld keep you quite warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

or you could buy a coat and make a flask of tea/coffee/soup.

neoprene gloves and a pair of handwarmers in pockets will go a long way too. there is plenty of pier fishing to be done in winter! I especially grand if you can park on the pier and sit into your car now and again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Used to session fish for years around the Carrickmacross area for years. (Bream, Tench, Carp) in the winter, all through the winter actually. Bivvy job for two/three days at a time.
    the only thing and I mean the only thing that kept me going was a Coleman Twin burner and a hot water bottle during the 16 hour nights. (Few beers aswell)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dfella25

Get to one of the camping shops and buy a set of long john's!!!! They have them for people going skiing and they are great for fishing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Fauldy Banny

I have a set of termal long johns and they are the business, keeps me really warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

you can actually buy socks that have heating in them light strands of wire running through them and run off a small battery in the top of the sock,,,
    i havent seen them but hope to look into this soon,
    broke ankle and leg 2 summers ago the cold is a real bitch so gona try these out for fishing and shooting
    think skiers use them too, local gunsmith has them here in athlone i was told

• Registered Users Posts: 27 PETEMCL2003

tom if your in dublin try blessington lake it s good for pike at winter and only on your doorstep. chemists sell hand warmers and even ones for your shoes to keep some heat in you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Ryanzo

Long Johns, Flask of Tea, Blessington Lake, Small Fire, No Fish.

Advertisement