Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

T Junctions in housing estates with no road markings

Options
  • 01-11-2008 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Should these junctions be treated as yields or stops? Im doing the test on a motorbike by the way. So should I pull up to the junction slowly and put my foot down, have a look and pull off when the way is clear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I somehow doubt that you could be penalised for not coming to a actual stop if there was no visible STOP sign or STOP painted on the road. I would treat those junctions as if they had a YIELD sign and exercise caution and stop if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I was always taught that at any junction, regardless of whether there is a Stop/Yield sign or no sign at all, that you should stop anyway. Even if you stop for half a second you are showing the tester that you are anticipating another car or hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's a bit of a blanket statement. I doubt traffic behind you would be too impressed if you stopped every time you were about to pass a side road. Also, I think you might get a progress fault if you come to a full stop at a junction with a Yield sign despite being able to see in advance that it's safe to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Stark wrote: »
    That's a bit of a blanket statement. I doubt traffic behind you would be too impressed if you stopped every time you were about to pass a side road. Also, I think you might get a progress fault if you come to a full stop at a junction with a Yield sign despite being able to see in advance that it's safe to proceed.
    Agree, you should be looking in advance of any junction - usually through creeping up to junction in 2nd, glance left, right, left and pull out keeping pace if nothing approaching. They will definitely mark you up on progress (and maybe observation?).

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

If there are no road markings then it should be treated as a YIELD junction with traffic on the main road having right of way. It is important to remember that it is OK to STOP at a YIELD if it is necessary. For example, in housing estates there are sometimes walls, hedges, parked cars etc and therefore you must be certain that the road is clear before you come onto it. If you have any doubt STOP and check! Situations where you will be marked for Progress would be for example if the junction is at a green area and you have clear visibility on all sides, in that situation if the road is clear you should proceed without stopping at a slow speed ensuring to have taken proper observation in both directions as you approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

DriveSkill wrote: »
    If there are no road markings then it should be treated as a YIELD junction with traffic on the main road having right of way. It is important to remember that it is OK to STOP at a YIELD if it is necessary. For example, in housing estates there are sometimes walls, hedges, parked cars etc and therefore you must be certain that the road is clear before you come onto it. If you have any doubt STOP and check! Situations where you will be marked for Progress would be for example if the junction is at a green area and you have clear visibility on all sides, in that situation if the road is clear you should proceed without stopping at a slow speed ensuring to have taken proper observation in both directions as you approach.

A big +1!

ergonomics wrote: »
    I was always taught that at any junction, regardless of whether there is a Stop/Yield sign
    It would be pointless having a YIELD sign then if that were the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

It depends on the type of junction... Open or Closed. Open = no need to stop. Closed = stop.

2qk4u wrote: »
    It depends on the type of junction... Open or Closed. Open = no need to stop. Closed = stop.
    What do you mean by a 'closed' junction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 betterdrive.net

What do you mean by a 'closed' junction?

In Driving Instruction terms, A "Open Junction" is when you can view oncoming traffic from a distance. An example would be a T junction where there is a green area both sides, where there is no obsruction to your view.

A "Closed Junction" is when your view to either side is blocked by something Example cars,hedges,walls, and this should then be treated as a stop. Then you should move slowly looking equally both ways until you can see past the obstruction. Only then may you proceed.

Hope that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

In Driving Instruction terms, A "Open Junction" is when you can view oncoming traffic from a distance. An example would be a T junction where there is a green area both sides, where there is no obsruction to your view.

A "Closed Junction" is when your view to either side is blocked by something Example cars,hedges,walls, and this should then be treated as a stop. Then you should move slowly looking equally both ways until you can see past the obstruction. Only then may you proceed.

Hope that makes sense.
    Thats it.

ergonomics wrote: »
    I was always taught that at any junction, regardless of whether there is a Stop/Yield sign
    It would be pointless having a YIELD sign then if that were the case.
    2qk4u wrote: »

I think the point has been missed.

ergonomics stated that he/she was taught to stop regardless.

I responded that it would therefore be pointless having YIELD signs.

2qk4u muddied the waters talking about 'open' and 'closed' junctions.

My point still stands - if one should always come to a stop, what would be the point of having YIELD signs?

Advertisement