Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Best Bang For Buck

Options
  • 01-11-2008 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Looking advice on the best bang for buck :

Processor
    GFX Card
    PSU
    Ram
    HD

These would be going into my media centre case to replace some gear I got lent some time ago, ie I need to upgrade some time soon. I currently have x1950gt and AMD FX55 with generic ram and PSU. Have already 1 250gb and 1 320 gb HD's so would be open to upgrading one of these.

Value for money is my main motto, or tight git if you want to see it another way, hence bext value. I expect the GFX card might be 8800gt but having not spent much time recently on whats hot and not I could do with the help.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Looking advice on the best bang for buck :

Processor
    GFX Card
    PSU
    Ram
    HD

These would be going into my media centre case to replace some gear I got lent some time ago, ie I need to upgrade some time soon. I currently have x1950gt and AMD FX55 with generic ram and PSU. Have already 1 250gb and 1 320 gb HD's so would be open to upgrading one of these.

Value for money is my main motto, or tight git if you want to see it another way, hence bext value. I expect the GFX card might be 8800gt but having not spent much time recently on whats hot and not I could do with the help.

Thanks in advance.

Processor wise the Intel Q6600 it still popular, and GFX wise the AMD Radeon 4850.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Graphics at least, your best bang for buck options are definitely the ATI HD4850 or 4870.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

I am guessing its an AMD only board.. so theres not much upgrade room there, besides your CPU is actually ok-ish..

I'd pick up a 2nd hand PSU and 8800GT from ebay from 100% only sellers..
    (40 and 80 euros typically)

and go for a hdd from maybe dabs.ie..

For an idea on prices, check www.hardwareversand.de for the cheapest prices on components and go from there..

Unless you are big into super smooth high res crysis style games then an 8800GT will be fine for most games, you need a 450 watt psu minimum though..

2 gigs of ram is fine for XP

and hdds are getting cheaper by the day, samsung seem to be amongst the best value/speed at the mo.

Advertisement