Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Flight Rules.

Options
  • 01-11-2008 10:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

New EU rules come into effect today that will require airlines to show the full cost including fees, charges and taxes upfront.
    The Consumers' Association of Ireland has welcomed the new rules which will mean that passengers can see the breakdown of different categories of cost that make up the final price.
    The rules should help people avoid misleading advertising.

Source: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1101/air.html

I wish someone would tell RyanAir this because they are not sticking by the rules.
    I checked their website and nothing has changed!

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

incorrect, their front page advertises the from €15 one way, yesterday, they were €1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

zuroph wrote: »
    incorrect, their front page advertises the from €15 one way, yesterday, they were €1

Nope, still misleading.

They should add "Total Price".
    They have on the site that the prices are "From". So in other words, there could be more to add on besides the other possible dearer actual ticket prices...
    The "from" bit still leaves the doors open to slip extras in under that guise.

I just double checked...

For example: By the new rules, the TOTAL price is supposed to be displayed, one flight is advertised as 15 Sterling - why than is the actual total price then, a lot more!
    See below ( and this is only one example!):
    2ed14au.jpg

I clicked the flight that said 15 quid - not a dearer price. I wanted the 15 quid flight one way.
    The price immediately jumped to 19.99 - no explanations offered - and this was the 15 quid clickable link!
    NOT the "From 15 quid", I clicked the "purchase the 15 quid ticket" link. :mad:

Here is what is advertised, not showing even the bare minmum total price as required by the law now:
    2hds4ms.jpg

So much for the rules, Ryanair is giving them the two fingers.
    Showing the total price my backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ryanair have ALWAYS done this - you can see every extra charge on the next page, where you have the option to remove 1 piece of baggage etc!

People who whinge about this deserve to be "ripped off" as they would see it.

My point is that they are not showing the absolutely bare minimum total price as the European law now states they must.
    ...and they still don't explain why my 15 quid ticket jumped to 19.99! Again, I selected the 15 quid one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

on the confirmation page, they still have travel insurance and priority boarding pre-selected for you

I thought that part of this new law was that they couldnt charge you for any extras you didnt specifically request?

• Advertisement

on the confirmation page, they still have travel insurance and priority boarding pre-selected for you

I thought that part of this new law was that they couldnt charge you for any extras you didnt specifically request?

Yep.
    I'll be honest, thats another example I missed.
    Clearly, they think the laws don't apply to them! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I am guessing that they are saying you still have the option to remove them - are they allowed to do that?
    I notice Aerlingus also have insurance automatically selected for purchase too unless you remove it.

I dont see any "purchase the 15 quid ticket" link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

with the insurance it's in most people's interest to have it, so that might be excluded from the law, who really wants to pay €8 just to get on first, if anything I'd want to spend as little time as possible on board

with the insurance it's in most people's interest to have it, so that might be excluded from the law, who really wants to pay €8 just to get on first, if anything I'd want to spend as little time as possible on board
    Thats all subjective really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Biggins wrote: »
    Nope, still misleading.

They should add "Total Price".
    They have on the site that the prices are "From". So in other words, there could be more to add on besides the other possible dearer actual ticket prices...
    The "from" bit still leaves the doors open to slip extras in under that guise.

I just double checked...

For example: By the new rules, the TOTAL price is supposed to be displayed, one flight is advertised as 15 Sterling - why than is the actual total price then, a lot more!
    See below ( and this is only one example!):
    2ed14au.jpg

I clicked the flight that said 15 quid - not a dearer price. I wanted the 15 quid flight one way.
    The price immediately jumped to 19.99 - no explanations offered - and this was the 15 quid clickable link!
    NOT the "From 15 quid", I clicked the "purchase the 15 quid ticket" link. :mad:

Here is what is advertised, not showing even the bare minmum total price as required by the law now:
    2hds4ms.jpg

So much for the rules, Ryanair is giving them the two fingers.
    Showing the total price my backside.

again, you are wrong. There is flights available for €15 one way including all charges. just not for the dates u want. hence the FROM. some flights are 15euro, some cost more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

When you see a Ryanair flight just multiply it by ten and you will be averaging the real cost when you hit "pay". Think of it like shopping in America guess higher and when you pay you will be surprised and delighted when you pay slightly less.

mumhaabu wrote: »
    When you see a Ryanair flight just multiply it by ten and you will be averaging the real cost when you hit "pay".
    If you are not smart enough to work the system, then yes, but there are ways around all of the charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

mumhaabu wrote: »
    When you see a Ryanair flight just multiply it by ten and you will be averaging the real cost when you hit "pay". Think of it like shopping in America guess higher and when you pay you will be surprised and delighted when you pay slightly less.

Yes, that's why my last 5 flights with them cost a total of €30

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters, there is a Ryanair thread specifically for Ryanair comments. This thread was started in relation to the new system for displaying fares and charges, which is applicable to all airlines.

Take the Ryanair-bashing/lauding the other thread.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

To be fair, a lot of credit cards include travel insurance if you purchase your tickets with said card so it's not that necessary.

Advertisement