Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment Advice? Looking for an IT technician...

Options
  • 01-11-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I couldn't find any where else to post this on Boards, so thought I would head straight to the place where I may get the best response - even though the post is not technical.

Basically the situation is this: I own a small business, technically a one man band looking after approx 40/50 customers around Dublin, and a few dotted around the country, and even two international. The clients range across all industries, and vary in size from 5-10 users in a small office, to large 100+ sites with multiple offices. It has been a very stressful, but successful 6 yrs servicing existing clients and adding new ones. In general I handle all of the sales, tech, accounts but draw down on contractors when needed (eg. when either I need more expertise, or extra hands for a large install. The types of work include the following:

1. Server Installations (Hewlett Packard, Fujitsu-Siemens - Windows 2003, SBS Mostly - but looking to move into virtualisation space)
    2. Firewall Installation (Sonicwall), DSL Installation
    3. Remote Access (Sonicwall SSL Appliances, VPN)
    4. NAS
    5. PC Installations
    6. User Support and all that goes with that, XP etc...
    7. Printer Sales, Installation and Consumeable service
    8. Consultancy - eg. What software is best for payroll, accounts, general
    9. Web hosting, DNS, domain registrations etc.

I need some permanent help though and am looking to hire someone within the next few months. The ideal person would be the following:

1. Well presented, Fluent English speaking (VERY IMPORTANT), clean driving license, hard working and keen to cut their teeth on all aspects of the business - this would be an excellent oppurtunity to get a taste for sales, tech and also running small business.
    2. Must be technical - I am not so worried about formal training - on the job is good enough - it takes about ten minutes to know whether someone has a clue so I am confident I can make this judgement rather than just looking at MCP credentials...
    3. Not afraid of working outside their comfort zone.
    4. Have excellent communication skills and ability to work over the phone as easily as in person.
    5. Have flexible working hours.
    6. Be based in Dublin
    7. The role is mix of office based and out on the road with clients

the reason I am posting this, is becuase I dread going through a recruitment agency and getting sent hundreds of useless CV's, me then have to sit down with each potential candidate only to decide none of them have a clue (i say this from personal experience - the amount of interviews I was sent on years ago by agencies for TOTALLY unsuitable jobs) and most importantly I don't want to pay an agency for this pleasure...

the other thing I need to establish is what kind of money I should be expecting to pay someone for this type of role - the job would also include:

1. Car
    2. Mobile Phone & Laptop
    3. Pension
    4. Healthcare

any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated...of course if anyone in this group knows of someone suitable, or thinks they might me suitable then please email me directly on barry@ict-pro.com with details etc.

Thanks in advance.

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I could possibly help with this..

One question, are you looking for someone permanent as in 9-5 Monday to Friday or would someone suit you 2-3 days a week on alternating days?.

If its the latter I might be of some use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

Hi Feelgood,

Yes this would be good - but it makes it difficult get someone fully set up with car etc if its only part time - if you follow me...

Woudl you send over your CV (if you have an up to date one) and also a note about what you are currently up to?

thanks

Understand what you mean alright Bar, will drop you over my CV anyway and explain my situation.

Cheers,
    Feelgood.

Thanks - look forward to getting it over...

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I only read this thread out of curiosity, bazooka, but would just like to applaud your attitude to qualifications (versus a quick conversation).

I'm just a home computer user (albeit starting in the 1980s, when we all had to be a bit techie). I did a trial week for a job here in Donegal in the mid 90s, for a family business that matched graduates with jobs. My job was, basically, sorting out the office chaos, largely in their computer, which some consultant had supplied and set up 2 years before (he then dropped off the radar). All they could do database-wise was enter name, address, phone number and type of degree/type of job. They all thought they needed a new computer, including the son-in-law; computer matters were left to him, as he had an IT university degree from Dublin. He couldn't even tell me if the programs were readymade, or specially written for them (hard to tell from the large fee!).
    I was looking forward to getting under the consultant's barrier of Dos menus, making things more useful and saving them the cost of a new machine (especially once I saw a flash of the word 'Paradox' during booting!). He'd probably hobbled the software in the hope of getting called back for more work. Sadly, they needed a touch-typist (having thought they didn't), and couldn't afford 2 employees, so it was goodbye job, and an unneccessary new computer, the IT graduate still being in charge.

Your 10-minute conversations would have weeded him out PDQ. I'm sure they'll find the right person soon, should the job and Feelgood not be the perfect match.

• Advertisement

Fogmatic wrote: »
    I only read this thread out of curiosity, bazooka, but would just like to applaud your attitude to qualifications (versus a quick conversation).

I'm just a home computer user (albeit starting in the 1980s, when we all had to be a bit techie). I did a trial week for a job here in Donegal in the mid 90s, for a family business that matched graduates with jobs. My job was, basically, sorting out the office chaos, largely in their computer, which some consultant had supplied and set up 2 years before (he then dropped off the radar). All they could do database-wise was enter name, address, phone number and type of degree/type of job. They all thought they needed a new computer, including the son-in-law; computer matters were left to him, as he had an IT university degree from Dublin. He couldn't even tell me if the programs were readymade, or specially written for them (hard to tell from the large fee!).
    I was looking forward to getting under the consultant's barrier of Dos menus, making things more useful and saving them the cost of a new machine (especially once I saw a flash of the word 'Paradox' during booting!). He'd probably hobbled the software in the hope of getting called back for more work. Sadly, they needed a touch-typist (having thought they didn't), and couldn't afford 2 employees, so it was goodbye job, and an unneccessary new computer, the IT graduate still being in charge.

Your 10-minute conversations would have weeded him out PDQ. I'm sure they'll find the right person soon, should the job and Feelgood not be the perfect match.

+1 to that...

Certifications don't make an IT professional IMO.

Well they can give a good idea - as a starting point. Fine example of this is the CCNA (or certainly it was when i did it some 8 yrs ago) where not only covering cisco specific info (IOS etc) it gives massive training in overall IP which is critical...

Eg. I had a conversation last week with a "consultant" who was working for a very large Repro company (OCE), and had installed a server on our customer site - he didn't know what a Public IP address was, nor the functionality of a Firewall, TCP Ports, nor why we shouldn't place a Windows 2003 Server running IIS (with only one Lan card) onto the DMZ port of a firewall - his defense was that he was an MCP in Windows 2003 Server and that he had this configuration in multiple sites already...Super!

On the job is much more valuable in my overall experience - but it certainly helps to have something to gauge basic skills...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

I would totally agree with the CCNA qualification being a much better gauge point then some of the microsoft certificates,having a couple of MS certs myself and having just finished the new ccna 4.0 i would definitely be looking at a ccna qualified person a bit more as its such a in depth course, and you really need to know your stuff. Good luck with the search anyway barry,best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭zillmere

bazooka wrote: »
    The types of work include the following:

1. Server Installations (Hewlett Packard, Fujitsu-Siemens - Windows 2003, SBS Mostly - but looking to move into virtualisation space)
    2. Firewall Installation (Sonicwall), DSL Installation
    3. Remote Access (Sonicwall SSL Appliances, VPN)
    4. NAS
    5. PC Installations
    6. User Support and all that goes with that, XP etc...
    7. Printer Sales, Installation and Consumeable service
    8. Consultancy - eg. What software is best for payroll, accounts, general
    9. Web hosting, DNS, domain registrations etc.

I need some permanent help though and am looking to hire someone within the next few months. The ideal person would be the following:

1. Well presented, Fluent English speaking (VERY IMPORTANT), clean driving license, hard working and keen to cut their teeth on all aspects of the business - this would be an excellent oppurtunity to get a taste for sales, tech and also running small business.
    2. Must be technical - I am not so worried about formal training - on the job is good enough - it takes about ten minutes to know whether someone has a clue so I am confident I can make this judgement rather than just looking at MCP credentials...
    3. Not afraid of working outside their comfort zone.
    4. Have excellent communication skills and ability to work over the phone as easily as in person.
    5. Have flexible working hours.
    6. Be based in Dublin
    7. The role is mix of office based and out on the road with clients

Hi Barry,

I am an Infrastructure consultant and my advice to you would be do firstly do up a 20 question test covering what you need from the new person covering technical and non technical skills. I have done this & it is a great way to weed out the paper certified people that know nothing.

If you can make that stage one of the process, & you have a place you can administer the test, you can give the test to say ten people then actually only interview the best 4. That way you are not wasting your time talking to duds and when you do pick a person you can be more confident they can do the job.

With the market the way it is you will get plenty of duds talking themselves up to get the job.

Try to avoid agencies if you can. For this role you don't need them and they are expensive and they will never leave you alone after it is done.

Andy

Hi All,

This thread went dead, for lack of interest I think from participants, but my problem still remains that I urgently need a person to assist in day to day running as per spec in my original post...

If anyone is interested, then please come back to me asap as I would love to speak to people who feel they would be up to the job...

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Email sent :)

Hi iRock,

I didn't receive an email?

Regards

Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

barry@ict-pro.com is that correct?

Spam filter? Definately sent without errors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭theone

I just stumbled upon this by accident and I'd be interested, I don't drive though which rules me out.

Advertisement