Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Native Trees

Options
  • 01-11-2008 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Was wondering what are the fastest growing native Irish trees. I have a large garden and want to plant plenty of trees. I have already planted some 6ft high ash and mountain ash. Also want to plant a fairly quick growing native hedge. Was thinking of Whitethorn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Whitethorn is good for hedging and grows fast. Of all the natives we planted the Alder is growing very fast, followed by birch. Mountain ash are growing well too. We also planted willow which is very fast growing (though not a native variety).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

You want a hedge of native Irish plants? Go to futureforests.net and look at their hedging mix. Some terriffic stuff. I bought form them last year and was well pleased with the product.

Try the permaculture mix if you like a variety of berries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Olearia macrodonta or O-hastii are very fast growing evergreen shrubs, ideal for boundaries and tolerate windy sites etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Try coillte..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

Is whitethorn the same as hawthorn?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Yes; mixes well with blackthorn and dog/guelder rose. We had a batch from Coillte who advised and selected for us.
    pops wrote: »
    Is whitethorn the same as hawthorn?

Advertisement