Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet mouse?

Options
  • 01-11-2008 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭

Looking into getting a pet mouse. Alas, most mice I can find in pet shops are intended for consumption by other, crawlier pets... :D

Where should I look for a healthy pet mouse in Dublin centre? What do I need to know about looking after a mouse, compared to looking after a hamster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Alas, most mice I can find in pet shops are intended for consumption

You could just not eat them like :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Smartarse. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

You must be care full about getting two male or two female, I was sent home with Jane and Tarzan,

Jane was great she would manage to escape when she wanted and would sit waiting to be let back in for dinner, I kept them in a glass case but Tazan soon figured out how to get down to her and vice versa and two became 22. I was just a kid when I had them and didn'tknow how soon the babies would start breeding, and even though I seperated them 22 very quickly became 76. Then the cat got the mammies and I had to hand rear them with only two mammies left and 50 to feed only 30 survived, so be warned.

Female have no butt as such, but males have what looks to be a big butt, two females are best as they don't fight as much, they make great pets even those destant for the snakes belly which mine were, as I was duped into a male and female make sure they are giving you two of the same.

They make great pets and not many are aware of how smart they are you an teach them lttle tricks.

Save some from the snakes belly there is no differants in what they are meant for they are the same.

You do have to watch for things like mite and flea'sas they get them to,as well as worms and keep their cages, recommend a glass tank really clean. I loved them and I hope you will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Awesome, I don't know anybody with mice, so that's a huge help.

I had heard that mice bred for consumption tend to have deformity problems because there's a small mousey gene pool here, and they aren't bred with their own welfare in mind. I do have a large (thin meshed) hamster cage handy, but you'd definitely recommend a glass tank? Do mice like wheels, or would I be better off just giving them lots of exploring space?

Oh, and stupid question, are pretty much all mice available in Ireland white?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

we had mice and hamsters growing up, mice are great pets fro kids, just handle them with care so they dont become afraid of being handled.

Our mice loved their wheel, also give them a kitchen roll tube everytime you change their cage, they'll chew it up but they'll love it.

if you are going with the mesh cage, be sure they cant escape. also, make sure the cage is changed weekly, or else it'll start to smell!

We really loved our mice, one skinny albino and one fat choclate coloured one were our last pair, but the whole family ended up in floods of tears after the neighbours cat got to them, so KEEP CATS AWAY!!!!!!

Enjoy!!

Oh, and petstop in Cork have black and white stripey mice for pets, but i supose thats a bit too far to be travelling for mice!

Also, they can be cared for in the same way as hamsters!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Mice can be got in many colours, mine were white, b&w and grey, the grey is lovely.

The reasons I say Glass tank is they can squeeze through pretty much anything, mine got fresh fruit and veg as well as mice /hamster food, they also need some thing to chew on to kept their teeth filed back.

you can also get hamster balls and let them loose in them and plastic runs that can be attached to cages and tanks.

Just be warned that it's more than likely they will send you home with it in a carboard box, if you have a long journey home best ask to take a few extra with you, doesn't take them long to chew their way out, it would be wiser to invest in a small plastic one, you get use out of it if you need to bring him to the vets or clean out the cage soit worth the few bob.

I know mine came from the food chain and they were just fine but things my have changed since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

have sent you a pm

Advertisement