Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade In crap

Options
  • 01-11-2008 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Lads,
    Well, took my 2006 focus zetec down to a local garage to buy a new kia, they were anxious to get me to buy it so offered me a generous price on my car, wait for it....9500!! Needless to say I will be keeping my kinda worthless banger! I was thinking 11k would be baseline but thats just terrible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I wouldn't do a straight swap, in fact, I would need a decent wedge of cash along with the Kia to make me part with the focus against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

TheDriver wrote: »
    Hey Lads,
    Well, took my 2006 focus zetec down to a local garage to buy a new kia, they were anxious to get me to buy it so offered me a generous price on my car, wait for it....9500!! Needless to say I will be keeping my kinda worthless banger! I was thinking 11k would be baseline but thats just terrible

buy a new kia........

why not buy a year old one, at least itll have depreciated a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Hey Lads,

I think he did you a favour. You already own the better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Do the dealers think we are fools, 9500 for your focus is just a stupid price to offer you. I urge everyone who is offered a stupid price for their tradein not to accept it and if you have to wait then just wait. if dealers have to go to the wall because of hard times then so be it. but please dont give your car away. as i said before in another post ,it seems that we have to lose so that dealers can win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Dealers don't think anyone's a fool. Dealers aren't offering poor trade in values at the moment so that they can make more money, they're offering poor trade in values at the moment because demand has fallen and therefore prices have fallen.

If you're not happy with your trade in price, definitely don't accept it, but don't mistake the dealer's motivation - they merely want to buy your car in at a resonable price so they can sell it to the next owner at a reasonable profit. They're not dropping trade in prices to take advantage of people.
    Any dealer that doesn't drop trade in prices (and the prices of the cars on their forecourt) in the current market won't be in business for very long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

AudiChris wrote: »
    Dealers don't think anyone's a fool. Dealers aren't offering poor trade in values at the moment so that they can make more money, they're offering poor trade in values at the moment because demand has fallen and therefore prices have fallen.

If you're not happy with your trade in price, definitely don't accept it, but don't mistake the dealer's motivation - they merely want to buy your car in at a resonable price so they can sell it to the next owner at a reasonable profit. They're not dropping trade in prices to take advantage of people.
    Any dealer that doesn't drop trade in prices (and the prices of the cars on their forecourt) in the current market won't be in business for very long.

I was talking to a mate today and he said the problem is that there is so much quality second hand stuff out there, it is driving down what a dealer can offer a customer for a trade in, to the point where people are getting seriously offended by trade in offers. He gave me an example of a customer who came in with an 04 Megane that he could only offer her 3,500 Euro for. Naturally she went insane on hearing this, but the fact is that the garage can get a good quality 04 Megane in an auction now for 3,500 Euro. The amount of repo vehicles out there now going for nothing at auction is messing around with the trade in values of used cars.

Also, as nothing is selling, dealers seem to be refusing to write down losses now, instead putting off the inevitable. I'm being told that they should just take the hit now and sell cars for whatever they get, because whatever they get for them now, they will get a hell of a lot less in 3,6 or 9 months time...

I'm hearing this again and again in the industry lately, that the "value" of used cars has completely been thrown out the window. The expression I'm hearing more and more in the last few weeks is, "forget what the book tells you or what you have in your head as the value of a car, it is only now worth what it will sell for". Effectively, you think it is worth 22K and you have buyer who will pay 14K for it, it is now worth 14K.

I heard a story of a Range Rover selling at an auction in Naas last week, "valued" at around 84K, sold for 27K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Dealers don't think anyone's a fool.

Really? Well, take it from someone who worked in the industry for over a DECADE that the do - and have in the past.

I've been to marketing/sales meetings where we were horsefeed BS telling us the punters are muppets and SCREW them for every cent in a deal. Horrible nasty industry you work in Chris - but thats the way it is.

God I'm contrary this morn.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Kia aside, I naturally won't be taking it but who is going to bother buying a new car if their own car is worthless, i won't be trading mine in for that little money and was offended it was a bit lower than I expected (wasn't expecting 14k or anything mind!). I can see why Jan will be a very poor sales month none the less!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Dealers don't think anyone's a fool.

Really? Well, take it from someone who worked in the industry for over a DECADE that the do - and have in the past.

I've been to marketing/sales meetings where we were horsefeed BS telling us the punters are muppets and SCREW them for every cent in a deal. Horrible nasty industry you work in Chris - but thats the way it is.

100% AGREE that dealers are taking the pi*s and think that most people are fools when you try trade in your car.They make big money on most sold cars.It says it all from post above....;)

Why do you want a kia??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I went to a Ford main dealer to but a car for Jan and they were not very interested at all. I was asked if I had a trade in and I said I had a 07 Nissan Note with 32k in showroom condition and the salesman shoved a pricelist into my hand and told me he would ring me in an hour with a trade in price.I left feeling like I waisted my time.I never got the call. Do only want straight deals ? I thought a sale was a sale ?
    I then went to a Mazda dealer who were more professional,helpful and made the effort to help me buy a new car without the usual crap you expect in a main dealer.Only problem was the trade in value, only offered €10000 for my car.. They rang me twice, once was the trade in value and the second call was the repayment options... If I go ahead Ill buy the Mazda.

• Advertisement

2qk4u wrote: »
    I went to a Ford main dealer to but a car for Jan and they were not very interested at all. I was asked if I had a trade in and I said I had a 07 Nissan Note with 32k in showroom condition and the salesman shoved a pricelist into my hand and told me he would ring me in an hour with a trade in price.I left feeling like I waisted my time.I never got the call. Do only want straight deals ? I thought a sale was a sale ?
    I then went to a Mazda dealer who were more professional,helpful and made the effort to help me buy a new car without the usual crap you expect in a main dealer.Only problem was the trade in value, only offered €10000 for my car.. They rang me twice, once was the trade in value and the second call was the repayment options... If I go ahead Ill buy the Mazda.
    What sort of car were you actually after?

tv3 wrote: »
    What sort of car were you actually after?
    New Fiesta Deisel or Mazda 2 Deisel.

Why dont you shop around as it doesnt have to be main dealer??were you living?

Why dont you shop around as it doesnt have to be main dealer??were you living?
    I live in Navan and work in the north side of Dublin, I called into a smaller garage and they said "sorry bud, we only sell cheap yolks now, no bleedin money in new cars" :rolleyes:

2qk4u wrote: »
    I live in Navan and work in the north side of Dublin, I called into a smaller garage and they said "sorry bud, we only sell cheap yolks now, no bleedin money in new cars" :rolleyes:
    haha thats a good one.

I've been working in the motor industry for a decade too. I've worked with and for some dicks and some really fantastically talented and honourable people.
    Like every industry, there are a legion of dedicated people trying to make a living through fair means, and there are a minority of unscrupulous people who give the industry a bad name.

The same could be said about priests, Gardai, lawyers, publicans, taxi drivers, politicians - the list goes on...
    A small minority give everyone else a bad name.

I've been working in the motor industry for a decade too. I've worked with and for some dicks and some really fantastically talented and honourable people.
    Like every industry, there are a legion of dedicated people trying to make a living through fair means, and there are a minority of unscrupulous people who give the industry a bad name.

The same could be said about priests, Gardai, lawyers, publicans, taxi drivers, politicians - the list goes on...
    A small minority give everyone else a bad name.

Chris, MINORITY?!?! Wha?:eek:

Yup!

IMHO, of course.

I've met more unscrupulous customers than I have unscrupulous salespeople (although, given the nature of the job, the ratios are a little off).

People, as a general rule, are greedy and self-motivated. Most try and get the most for themselves within the norms of society and the law, some work outside those limits.

I've NEVER been told to screw a customer over. I can categorically state that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I had the same experience, was told to call back in a day to be given my ridiculous price and sad to say, they expected me to take it as it was a great price to entice me to change!!! I know all the variables but at end of the day, its not worth changing my car for that money.
    Kia: Liked the Pro-Ceed, lovely car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Hey Lads,
    The ford focus zetec's are making up to €17,500 on carzone.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.4i-Zet/200840190233461/advert

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Sam Kade wrote: »

they are advertised for that much, not making that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

No they're not. Dealers are looking for €17k on carzone. That doesn't mean they're going to get it.

Yup!

IMHO, of course.

I've met more unscrupulous customers than I have unscrupulous salespeople (although, given the nature of the job, the ratios are a little off).

People, as a general rule, are greedy and self-motivated. Most try and get the most for themselves within the norms of society and the law, some work outside those limits.

I think its you that is in the minority Chris:rolleyes:.
    Good on you!

Yup!

IMHO, of course.

Dont you think people should "try and get the most for themselves"???:eek:that would be quite normal and remember the people are the one with the money !:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dont you think people should "try and get the most for themselves"???:eek:that would be quite normal and remember the people are the one with the money !:rolleyes:

dealers are people too, can they not try that as well?

I have no time for the majority of car dealers but people have to get over this idea that they are trying to shaft you. Thats just a by product of trying to make the most for themselves. It's just business.

Their main problem is that they have been holding out hoping to find a few suckers to pay over the odds on depreciating stock for the last 6 months. Now they are all stuck with the stock, mark it down to what it should have been 6 months ago and wonder why still it won't sell.

A lot of them may go to the wall because of their poor customer service and attitude over the past few years. They are largely responsible for their own troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Wow, what kind of dreamworld are some of you guys living in today? Cars aren't selling. Forecourts are full. Just in case you havent noticed, car dealers are *actually* going out of business, both main and second-hand.

Main dealers don't want trade-ins. If they can't sell the car themselves, they'll flog it off to another trader, so they'll want a margin if they can get it.

Clearly the Kia dealership didn't want the car, and who could blame them?

The value of every car is going down, and quickly. We've had threads here with people pointing out cheap cars for sale, the flip side is that these cars came from somewhere, and most likely were traded in at some point, just like the OP's Focus...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

copacetic wrote: »
    dealers are people too, can they not try that as well?

In fairness it is fair to say without fear on contradiction that in the past dealers have been involved in all kinds of illegal activity to keep prices artifically high. This particular point has been played out in the courts, and as most will know some Ford dealers in particular were up to their neck in it.

It wasn't a "select few" as audi chris says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Pity the fool who pays €17k when asking price (therefore negotiable) for this one is €12.5k

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.4-ZETE/200840190281156/advert

When I say "people", I mean everyone - car dealers, car customers, teachers, philanthropists - everyone is self-motivated.

Even if you do something for charity, you do it because it makes you feel good about yourself or reinforces your own self image.

I think everyone should try and get the most for themselves, without hurting other people. There's nothing wrong with that, it's human nature!

I'm a big fan of consumer power. I'm a consumer as well as a salesperson. I think that's one of the reasons that the shady salesperson's days are numbered - there's too much information available to everyone to make it worth trying to pull the wool over people's eyes (again, this applies to all sales situations, not just cars).
    maidhc wrote: »
    In fairness it is fair to say without fear on contradiction that in the past dealers have been involved in all kinds of illegal activity to keep prices artifically high. This particular point has been played out in the courts, and as most will know some Ford dealers in particular were up to their neck in it.

It wasn't a "select few" as audi chris says.

I'd venture to say that if you counted the number of dealers in the country, legitimate and "grey", and then put together a list of dealers charged or convicted of price-fixing etc. you'd find that it's a pretty small proportion.
    Do the same exercise with the total number of Gardai versus the number accused of illegitimate practices (heavy handed, framing people, abuse of power etc.).
    Pick an industry, any industry, and you'll find you scandal, underhandedness and illegal practices from a small few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

The thing that really gets to me about this is that it is the carbuyer that is being asked to take all the loss. Secondhand house prices are falling like a stone at the minute but also new houseprices follow the market downwards. New car pricelists however remain rigid so all of the depreciation is incurred by the end buyer. I think if the manufacturers, distributors, dealers and yes, the government all chipped in and new car prices were to be reduced by a significant amount, at least 15% imo then things would start to move again.

Advertisement