Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade In crap

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

2qk4u wrote: »
    I went to a Ford main dealer to but a car for Jan and they were not very interested at all.

In fairness any ford dealer I've every been in has been populated by ignorant / incompetent sales staff. If they're that bad trying to get your money can you imagine what they're like with a problem of any sort

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

AudiChris wrote: »
    Pick an industry, any industry, and you'll find you scandal, underhandedness and illegal practices from a small few.

Maybe.

It seems though as if the price fixing cartel was a pretty big affair, and was widespread amongst many marques.

Eitherway, I for one don't mourn the passing of the insane rush to buy new cars every jan, and really it is symptomatic of the entire economy gone to crap.

Dropping the price of new cars won't matter, and I don't see how VRT has affected anything. If anything VRT has fallen dramatically since july, but it has had no impact on the sale of new cars other than the tilt things in favour of diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Think it boils down to people keeping their old cars because they are not worth trading in, I'd nearly give it away and save as much on a cash price for a year old (obviously not literally!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I think Jeremy Clarkson said it best.

" We were all playing musical car chairs for decades and now the bubble has burst, whatever your driving now your stuck with it "

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

robbie99 wrote: »
    Pity the fool who pays €17k when asking price (therefore negotiable) for this one is €12.5k

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.4-ZETE/200840190281156/advert
    I was only giving an example of the prices that dealers were looking for focus zetec on carzone the majority are looking for 17k. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

copacetic wrote: »
    they are advertised for that much, not making that much
    Read my post again I said up to €17000.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Sam Kade wrote: »

you actually said up to €17,500:rolleyes:

either way posting an ad showing what some fool thinks they will get is pointless, they will never get within an arses roar of that price. If they could they would be offering the OP damn sight more for the trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Sam Kade wrote: »

Again:rolleyes: Very few cars are making anything. Most have been and will remain on forecourts for some time to come.

€9.5k is probably lower end offer, but not unreasonable for a 3 year old Focus.

Indeed lower end but unreasonable for a garage to expect someone to take that offer for their car. It simply doesn't make sense for me to bother parting with it for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

TheDriver wrote: »
    Indeed lower end but unreasonable for a garage to expect someone to take that offer for their car. It simply doesn't make sense for me to bother parting with it for that money.

And it doesn't make sense for them to take it at any level above that.

• Advertisement

awful circle but at end of the day, garages will close because of it because we're not willing to spend money on cars and loose so much on depreciation. I don't expect a garage to give me more than they can make money on but they can't expect someone to trade in when 2 more years and the car is free to me based on same year on year depreciation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I posted this before, but i was recently offered 16k for my 07 mint condition low mileage mazda Mx5, madness.
    It was against a Toyota Landcruiser, the dealer insisted that the bottom had fallen out of the market (Duhh!) and that seconhand cars wernt making good money, but when asked about the 07 landcruiser i was interested in he said Landcruisers dont depreciate as much therefore the prices havnt droped,needless to say i didnt buy.
    This experience has been repeated many times in different dealers, the cars they are selling seem to be recession proof but the car you are trading is worth nothing.
    Most of the dealers i visited never called me back and didnt seem to interested in doing a deal.
    How do they expect to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Its a vicious circle alright.

Garages don't want trade-ins because they cannot sell what they already have, customers with trade-ins are asked for what appears to be unrealistic "cost to change" prices so they don't buy, so the garages are left with their stock. Garages only want to deal in straight cash which are few and far between in a recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Its simple economics the car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. I'd say 9.5k was about right for it. Its just the way things are at the minute. I planned to change my car in January but its now worth 3k less than i thought it was as the second-hand market has collapsed. Keep the Focus and run it until it owes you nothing thats what I'll be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I never understand why people get offended by prices offered by dealers.

When you buy petrol, you have to buy it from a big company. With cars, we can buy and sell amongst ourselves and cut out the middleman.

The only reason to use a dealer is if you can't be bothered to buy and sell privately (and this is a good reason, I'm not knocking it).

I generally buy new cars from dealers, sell privately, and buy used either way.

Treating all dealers like scum because of the behaviour of some will just push the good guys out of the industry, thus becoming self-fulfilling. Why would anyone with integrity want to go to work and be treated like a scumbag?

Bottom line: if you don't like the price, politely decline the offer and use the door. If you think trading cars is an easy profitable living, do it yourself.

Lumen, selling cars privately at moment is awful stuff so have to use dealers but of course I won't take their offer, point I am making is that how can garages expect sales if the money isn't right for people to change, not their fault but then again, not ours either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Well then. How long before VRT starts dropping then [ it's calculated on the Open Market Resale Price ]

bet they won't do that quickly :rolleyes:

I think Dealers need to wake up a little and understand that even though , yes, the ass has fallen out of the market

1: Without used cars being traded in there ain't much of a trade
    2: Annoying people with [ perhaps true ] resale valuations doesn't help

the industry is falling on its sword on point 2 IMHO since they have no idea how to deal with it.

We the poor sod consumers have even less of an idea how to deal with it, since as Clarkson said last night "you're stuck with it"

.... either sell it at a loss or wait 6 months when your car will magically be worth 30% more in trade-in :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lumen, selling cars privately at moment is awful stuff so have to use dealers but of course I won't take their offer, point I am making is that how can garages expect sales if the money isn't right for people to change, not their fault but then again, not ours either.

Selling cars at all right now is awful, due to slump in demand. The dealer is in the same boat as you - actually worse, since doesn't get any use out of the depreciating assets on his forecourt.

Car sales is always a careful balancing act of logic against desire, and of supply against demand. If we were logical, then we wouldn't buy new cars at at all (since depreciation is so bad in the first year). But then there would be no demand for new cars, and lots of demand for nearly new cars, which would push the price of nearly new cars to the same price as new cars. Then we'd buy new.

Almost all assets are currently depreciating (houses, cars etc) as the effects of the enormous debt bubble are unwound. This gives us the illusion of poverty, which is no more or less concrete than the illusion of wealth we felt in the reverse situation.

Unfortunately new car sales rely on people feeling wealthy (and having access to credit).

Ramble over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

" We were all playing musical car chairs for decades and now the bubble has burst, whatever your driving now your stuck with it "

That was interesting alright. The examples of motor depreciation were shocking. I usually change my car every year but the trade offers on my car were just depressing so it appears Clarkson is right for once.

Think very few will be taking the trade in offered by garages at moment. Maybe we could get people posting what they have been offered by garages as trade in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Think very few will be taking the trade in offered by garages at moment. Maybe we could get people posting what they have been offered by garages as trade in?

Good idea.

I was offered 2k for my 2003 focus against a new mondeo 2 weeks ago. :)

funny thing is they were selling a 2003 focus of the same spec on the forecourt for 10k. humm....

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I was in a big VW MD and Nissan MD last week - both full to the brim and have even given up naming silly prices for now... no trade in at all, unless they have someone to take the traded in car straight away.

On a totaly unrelated note, the nissan sales guy tried to convince me the tida will grow on me. He failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

maidhc wrote: »
    Good idea.

funny thing is they were selling a 2003 focus of the same spec on the forecourt for 10k. humm....

Jesus, that's really taking the piss isn't it

maidhc wrote: »
    Good idea.

He would have given the Focus' previous owner 10k as a trade-in. That was probably over 6 months ago so he's trying to re-coup his loses...not a hope. The 2k he offered you meant he had no interest in your car and didn't want to repeat his mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

I amongst others here have too worked in car sales.

I think people should stop focusing on and bitching about trade-in prices alone and start looking at cost to change figures. Because as has been said numerous times but the same people seem to ignore, dealer "x" could offer you 3k more for your trade-in than dealer "y" but dealer "x" is more than likely selling the car you are looking at buying for 3k+ than dealer "y".
    Shop around too. Going to one dealer and getting offered a price and coming on to boards in disgust, just gets the same people replying "all car salesmen and dealers are robbing b*stards", blah blah blah its so repetitive.

And as has been said in a previous post, the amount of dealers involved in the price fixing scandals related to the amount of legitimate dealers is minute. This was told to me by someone in the competition authority who is still involved in alot of the cases.

Simple supply and demand. There is no demand and massive over-supply. People need to cop themselves on. Your car is not worth anything like it was even 6 months ago. The market has changed dramatically. Dealers are stuck with a massive amount of unwanted stock. January is just around the corner and they still have trade-ins from the start of the year they can't shift. The only winners at the moment are cash buyers. To the OP keep what you have and get your value out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I was offered 2k for my 2003 focus against a new mondeo 2 weeks ago.

Exactly, he couldn't sell the other one, so he doesn't want two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

" We were all playing musical chairs with cars and houses for decades and now the bubble has burst music has stopped, whatever your driving now and whatever house you're in now your stuck with it "
    Fixed that to resemble the quote a bit more closely.

T J Hooker wrote: »
    I amongst others here have too worked in car sales.

I think people should stop focusing on and bitching about trade-in prices alone and start looking at cost to change figures. Because as has been said numerous times but the same people seem to ignore, dealer "x" could offer you 3k more for your trade-in than dealer "y" but dealer "x" is more than likely selling the car you are looking at buying for 3k+ than dealer "y".
    Shop around too. Going to one dealer and getting offered a price and coming on to boards in disgust, just gets the same people replying "all car salesmen and dealers are robbing b*stards", blah blah blah its so repetitive.

I agree with the cost to change but its for brand new hence i can calculate how mine is worth to them which is a lot lot less than to me. I don't think anything about salesmen except the idea that they ain't going to get my money. He told me it would cost 12995 to change for a 22500 car list in the garage and also the increase in VAT would be ontop of this (which annoyed me, i wanted a price, not a sales talk).
    I will be holding onto it and will shop around but sounds like mine might be worth maybe 1000 more somewhere else but nothing like its worth to me and i am sure it is indicative of buyers country wide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Why all the bitching about trade ins? When you buy a new TV, sofa or kitchen does the retailer offer to give you money for your old one? Trade ins are a viable option when the market is strong, now it is not. If you get a good trade in great, if not sell it yourself and good luck. Maybe it's simply time to get over the consumerist mindset of changing perfectly good cars every few years, wasting your own money and resources while you're at it.

Advertisement