Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade In crap

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm not bitching Steve, merely stating that garages are not enticing me at all at alland hence doesn't surprise me when they say sales are way down.
    Also Steve, we don't all have the luxury like you to hop to England to buy things straight as you have said in your previous postings on boards, I couldn't sell my focus as no one wants it private at moment so stuck with it.
    I have cash to spend on a car yet no garage seems to want to much.

Furthermore, friend went in with cash to buy a 04 bora and couldn't get great deals at all except privately, he could get 1500 off the large list price but nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

TheDriver wrote: »
    I'm not bitching Steve, merely stating that garages are not enticing me at all at alland hence doesn't surprise me when they say sales are way down.
    Also Steve, we don't all have the luxury like you to hop to England to buy things straight as you have said in your previous postings on boards, I couldn't sell my focus as no one wants it private at moment so stuck with it.

Furthermore, friend went in with cash to buy a 04 bora and couldn't get great deals at all except privately, he could get 1500 off the large list price but nothing more.
    Is your focus advertised on adverts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

How can they entice you? You're on here complaining that they're only offering 9,500 for your Focus while someone on the other thread are complaining that their local garage is trying to sell a Focus for 17,500 when they could easily go to the UK and buy one for 9,500. The dealers now have to compete or loose, in order to compete they can't give you very much for your trade in. They'd advertise it for €12,500 probably and allow bargaining room to let it go for €11,000 or even €10,000 in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The movie Trading Places put it best, when Winthorpe tried to pawn his watch:
    Pawnbroker: I'll give you 50 bucks for it.

Winthorpe: Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is *the* sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail! It tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.

Pawnbroker: In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks.

Winthorpe: Just give me the money.

Like Winthorpe's watch, any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. At the moment, people aren't willing to pay much. Don't take it as a personal insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Too many cars available with too few punters. Dealers with high overhead and floorplans will be hurt hardest. Given time the market will sort itself out. Remember when the whole car market was 25k units yearly.

• Advertisement

Again, I want to stress I am not insulted, I don't give a f**k to be honest as I treat it in the view of economics, offer me so little for my own car and I will find something else for my "luxury" spend money, I will just hold onto the focus. To me, it clears up any sympathy for garages like any other retail outlet, its in no way attractive for me to part with my money short of throwing away a lot of cash (leaving aside the usual argument of cars are a waste of money anyways) more than what I deem it worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

It was more simple economics than a luxury. Borrow 20K from your bank and off you go to the UK, you'll get a far better car than the Kia for that money. When you sell the Focus (which you will at the right price), give the proceeds back to the bank. You'll end up with a better car and less debt than if you bought here.

It was more simple economics than a luxury. Borrow 20K from your bank and off you go to the UK, you'll get a far better car than the Kia for that money. When you sell the Focus (which you will at the right price), give the proceeds back to the bank. You'll end up with a better car and less debt than if you bought here.

True Stevie but friends of mine have been trying to sell their 2006 machines privately at fairly cheap prices and with no avail, not even a call. Suppose I don't feel I want to change my car that much to go to the UK with the risk of having my own idle. Evena neighbour of my sister brought in a tourag and tried to sell their 2005 golf and ended up trying to sell the tourag instead at the price they brought it in for to get rid of something.

Anyone else get interesting trade in responses??

Advertisement