Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email on Meteor 3G

• 02-11-2008 12:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭

Got a Samsung Tacco today & want to set up my Pop3 email.

1. what smtp server should I use
    2. what profile should I use, 'meteor stuff' or 'meteor mms'?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What email address are you setting up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

its my own domian... joebloggs@myowndomain.com

so my usual smtp would be smtp@myowndomain.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Shouldn't that be smtp.myowndomain.com, not @myowndomain.com?

chrislad wrote: »
    Shouldn't that be smtp.myowndomain.com, not @myowndomain.com?

sorry, missprint... do meteor require you to use a specific smtp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Got a Samsung Tacco today & want to set up my Pop3 email.

1. what smtp server should I use
    2. what profile should I use, 'meteor stuff' or 'meteor mms'?

smtp server should be smtp.yourdomain.com

From the choice of stuff or mms access points, I would say stuff..
    Do you not have Metoer Data or Meteor ISP access points available.

Also, if your PAYG, dont forget that if you download over 50Kb, youll be charged €1 for internet usage for the day..

• Advertisement

I've signed up for the €10 250mb bundle, but it seems like very little for the money. I'd expect unlimited downloads for that...

+ I was told that I'm not not allowed use the service until 5th Nov or I put myself at risk of getting a €5000 bill...

I'll try it out for a month or two & then decide if its worth using.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

mathew wrote: »
    smtp server should be smtp.yourdomain.com
    That depends on the smtp server.

You cannot send emails via the bt smtp server without a bt ip address for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

thats a bit crap.. How do you send emails from a bt address via a client when you're not on a bt connection?

mathew wrote: »
    thats a bit crap.. How do you send emails from a bt address via a client when you're not on a bt connection?

You have to use the stmp server of your provider. If you bring your laptop over to your friend's who has eircom bb, you would use smtp.eircom.net (or what ever the correct one is) with your bt email address.

It is never a problem for me, because gmail operate an open smtp server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Meteor only seem to allow you send via a non-Meteor SMTP when using SSL. At least this is my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Meteor's mail server is mail.mymeteor.ie. They have one in use for POP3 and SMTP and it should work fine. I got it from Meteor customer care some time ago. Normally if they don't know the answer to a question, such as, "what is Meteor's POP3/SMTP server?", they'll usually just contact their tech department to find out.

OP, you can also use Meteor WAP, Streaming, ISP or Data, if available on your handset, as they all now work for full Internet access.

Thanks all for the responses. I'll have to wait till the 5th to test it fully :rolleyes:

BTW Tocco is deadly & the menus can be set up as Gaeilge which is super deadly...

Advertisement