Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Army ranks

• 02-11-2008 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭

Was away on a camp andthe artillerymen were always referred to as "Gunner" whatever, right down to it being forms and all.

Are different names used for three stars from different corps or are there just a few corps with different names?I did hear someone mention that cavalry are referred to as "troopers".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

In a word yes.

3 stars have different names in different corps

Infantry - private
    Cav - trooper
    Artillery - gunner
    Sigs - signalman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Also, to add to that.

Artillery

We have Battery's not Companies.

Artillery don't have Company Sergeants, we have Battery Sergeants.
    CQMS is BQMS for us.

We don't have Battalions, we have Regiments. This I don't really understand because a Regiment is much bigger than a Battalion.

BattalionQM is RegimentalQM in Arty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Outta interest, do medics have a special rank or are we still referred to as privates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

I was gonna take the mickey....but better not! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Outta interest, do medics have a special rank or are we still referred to as privates?

I have seen medics being referred to simply as Medic. but ye wouldn't be called "Medic KOTJ" like I would be known as "Gunner MiniDazzler"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Ah bollix,

"Medic whatever" has such a nice ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Could be worse, could call you Nurse :eek:

Advertisement