Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DVD ROM drive problem.

• 02-11-2008 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

Pictures because I'm drunk.

Basically the DVD ROM is not reading, I can't use the install disc because of that and the driver from the dell website is the wrong one and won't install.

Any questions?
    I'd actually prefer answers.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

In the Device manager, right click on the "HL-DT-ST" DVD RW and click uninstall, confirm this, then reboot the pc, windows should re-install the drivers for it :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

buy a new dvd drive

(is it a writable dvd/cd of some type that wont read? some drives don;t do well with them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

yoyo wrote: »
    In the Device manager, right click on the "HL-DT-ST" DVD RW and click uninstall, confirm this, then reboot the pc, windows should re-install the drivers for it :)

Nick
    Didn't work.

eolhc wrote: »
    buy a new dvd drive

(is it a writable dvd/cd of some type that wont read? some drives don;t do well with them)

Not my computer.
    I'm not a 50 year old, vodka swilling, tothless bint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

Terry wrote: »
    I'm not a 50 year old, vodka swilling, tothless bint.

i want proof of this before i make any comments :p

try if possible to disconnect the offending drive check the ide /sata cable for damage and swap round the cable with the harddrive's cable if possible.

Cables seem fine.

I'm getting this error message when trying to install the driver: None of optical drive.

See picture for more details.

attachment.php?attachmentid=65842&stc=1&d=1225630116

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Chipset drivers ok?

I have no idea. How do I check that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...or you can try the following:

Go to a service like www.driveragent.com
    Install the driver tool they provide, use it to bring up the exact named driver you need.
    Go back (if you don't want to pay for further the services of Driveragent) to your download location page above (or look elsewhere) and get the right driver to get you back up and running.

I have the right driver. I'm 100% sure of that.

I got a driver from the dell website and it says the exact same thing.
    The first thing I did was to get the driver from Dell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

Is it a SATA drive? You may need to update the SATA drivers for the motherboard. If that still doesn't work, maybe a motherboard BIOS update is required.

Had the drive been working, and then just suddenly stopped working? A Vista update may have knocked it out; stranger things have happened.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about how or when it happened.
    It's not my pc.

I'll check through the updates. The weird thing is that it won't update to vista service pack 1, but it is a genuine copy. I have the OS disc here and the owner bought it directly from dell.
    I might just delete all previous updates, install the BIOS and SATA updates and see what happens then.

Edit: 102 of the ****ers. This is going to be fun.

Fixed. Yay me.
    Just had to delete a couple of things from the registry editor.

Advertisement