Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista - Hard disk activty

• 02-11-2008 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I have windows Vista premium edition running on my laptop (xps 1530). However, I have noticed tonight that my hard disk is constantly going absolutely nuts. I previously went through a guide for minimizing the hard disk activity in vista such as disabling auto-defrag, turn off indexing, system restore, windows defender, etc.

Is there anything I can do to stop this hard disk over-activity? also because of the aluminium casing of the xps m1530 machine, the hard disk noise is amplified through the metal so its extra noisy...aaaarrrrgghhhhh.

thanks.

dan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This'd probably get a better response here.
    Moved from Laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Are you running any torrents or are there any anti-virus scans running?

Press CTRL + Shift + Esc to bring up Task Manager. Go to the Performance Tab and then click the Resource Monitor button down the bottom.

You should be able to see what is writing to the disk so much in the Resource Monitor window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

Yeah, install Windows XP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

,8,1 wrote: »

Nothing wrong with vista if you set it up correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Are You sure You disabled indexing? Thats what it sounds like, type "indexing options" in2 the search box and check. Indexing does stop after its indexed all files You know, after this it'll only index the new ones.

How much ram have You got? This could also be paging due to too little ram. Vista needs 2GB IMO.

What antivirus software are You using? Could this be doing real time scans? Have You tried disabling it? Have You scanned for malware?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

,8,1 wrote: »
    Yeah, read the charter

No Off-Topic Advocacy:
    When someone asks a question in relation to their current OS/browser/mailer/etc, either answer the question or don't post. If they want an alternative, they'll ask for it.

Advertisement