Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delap

• 02-11-2008 8:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

Is he in Irish squad? That throw of his would be handy, on to the heads of Kevin Doyle or Richard Dunne everytime.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He's not in the squad, hasn't been for quite a long time.

Forgetting the throw in for a second, I've always liked him as a player. His versatility makes him an asset to any squad and he puts in a good shift, as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah, he is easily the best case for inclusion that is currently in the cold. He is starting and doing well for Stoke in the premiership - and he has a legitimate weapon with that long throw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Apart from being a decent enough all round player, I think hes gotten 6 or 7 out of the 10 assists in the PL that have come from throw ins. For this alone he should be in the squad, it would be fantastic against teams with a shaky defence. You saw yesterday how he was involved in both goals against Arsenal, its a bullet throw-in straight at the back post and very hard to defend against.

It changes a harmless throw-in into a great goalscoring opportunity. Even the times when the ball is headed back out it could lead indirectly to a goal from the edge of the box, like Stoke's second yesterday. So the stats are slightly skewed in that he wouldn't get the assist for a goal like that yet he has pretty much set it up. I reckon he's been involved in more than half of Stoke's goals, scoring one himself too!

I think we need Delap most against defence minded opponents such as the Italians. They will be a hard team to break down but if we can keep launching throw-ins into the 6 yard box it really increases our chances. Hopefully Trap has the same thinking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Saw a stat yesterday that 7 of their 13 goals in the premiership have come from throw in. It has to be a psychological thing for goalkeepers at this stage. That's an unbelievable stat, has to be some sort of a record... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Could become a popular tactic, make really long throw ins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

At the moment, Ricardo Fuller is getting goals from his throws. With his ability for winnning any ball in the air, Kevin Doyle could be looking at 3 or 4 goals a game if we had Delap. Take into account aswell how Georgian, Cypriot, Bulgarian or Montenegran defenders would deal with that threat and it could be a valuable tool. Plus he is better than Whealan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Is he in Irish squad? That throw of his would be handy, on to the heads of Kevin Doyle or Richard Dunne everytime.

Kevin Doyle is not very tall and eh Dunne is a defender. Would you expect Dunne to come up for every throw?

If Murphy was on for Keane then maybe it could work.

ajeffares wrote: »
    Could become a popular tactic, make really long throw ins

Yes but its useless against teams who have tall centre backs who are good at defending the high ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Kevin Doyle is not very tall and eh Dunne is a defender. Would you expect Dunne to come up for every throw?
    Well considering that defenders always come up for free kicks around the box and the fact that Delap's throws are more precise than most free kicks why wouldn't he?

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »

It gets goals though and goals win games.

The way Ireland are playing lately? We need goals to build up confidence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It gets goals though and goals win games.
    roryc wrote: »
    The way Ireland are playing lately? We need goals to build up confidence...

Spot on. Goals are goals, no matter how we get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Kevin Doyle is not very tall

What does that have to do with anything? I suppose Ricardo Fuller is a 7ft beast? Doyle isnt the biggest but he wins nearly every ball that is but near him. One of the best headerers of a football around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Can you score from a throw? ie Throw the ball into the net?

No it's a goal kick.

Actually, Delap did score one for Ireland a few years back. It bounced once and cleared everyone before going in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

If only Peter Crouch were Irish . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

No, because it's used to restart a game.

But if it takes a deflection, then it's allowed.

The long throw tactic works so well, because you can't be offside, so the defenders can't push you up to the edge of the box like with free kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

agree , the Stoke / Wimbledon tactics , get results , but thats not why I play or watch football .
    Don't understand why someone doesn't stand in front off him , to put him off -- all in all its a yawn , that i hope Ireland dont adopt

thebaz wrote: »
    agree , the Stoke / Wimbledon tactics , get results , but thats not why I play or watch football .

I really doubt Tony Pulis gives a damn what you or any other fan thinks tbh. He's there to get results by whatever means possible and it's working.
    Don't understand why someone doesn't stand in front off him , to put him off -- all in all its a yawn , that i hope Ireland dont adopt

So Ireland are 1-0 down in their final World Cup qualifying game and need a point to make the playoffs. 93rd minute, throw in level with the edge of the box.

Two scenarios -

1. Paul McShane throws it short to Aiden McGeady who fails to beat the first man and the ball is hoofed to safety.

2. Rory Delap launches the ball into the 6 yard box, keeper comes, gets nothing but fresh air while challenging Richard Dunne and Robbie Keane bundles the ball home.

I would gladly see Ireland resort to option 2 if the situation merited it.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    What does that have to do with anything? I suppose Ricardo Fuller is a 7ft beast? Doyle isnt the biggest but he wins nearly every ball that is but near him. One of the best headerers of a football around.

Yes Fuller is 6 foot 3 beast and Doyle is 5 foot 11. Do the maths.

Doyle doesn't win amny headers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

You serious, if we did have Delap in the squad and we got a throw in near the box the crowd would get really excited. I'd say it's hilarious to see first hand.

I think at the very least he should be on the bench and should be brought on if we get a decent placed throw in the last 20 minutes. Can't be much worse than Whelan

Yes Fuller is 6 foot 3 beast and Doyle is 5 foot 11. Do the maths.

Doyle doesn't win amny headers

Doyle is 6ft (180 cms) actually. Wins quite a lot of headers to be fair.

There's a lot to be said about having a good leap.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    You serious, if we did have Delap in the squad and we got a throw in near the box the crowd would get really excited. I'd say it's hilarious to see first hand.

I think at the very least he should be on the bench and should be brought on if we get a decent placed throw in the last 20 minutes. Can't be much worse than Whelan

Two things that you need for this tactic:

1. Tall strikers etc
    2. Small opposing defenders taht are poor at defending set pieces

Most of the teams in Ireland's group have tall centre backs and are good at defending set pieces, especially Cyprus and Italy. Plus Ireland have small players so its rediculous to suggest that Delap shoul be on just to throw the ball into big defenders

Doyle is 6ft (180 cms) actually. Wins quite a lot of headers to be fair.

There's a lot to be said about having a good leap.

I think you have had too much to drink last night.

6 foot = 182.9 cm, 5 foot 11 = 180 cm

http://www.manuelsweb.com/ft_in_cm.htm

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The Sunday times are having a love-in for Delap today. Article titled: Delap of the gods.
    Grooaann.
    "Without him Stoke are mealy-mouthed and indecisive."

Two things that you need for this tactic:

1. Tall strikers etc
    2. Small opposing defenders taht are poor at defending set pieces

Most of the teams in Ireland's group have tall centre backs and are good at defending set pieces, especially Cyprus and Italy. Plus Ireland have small players so its rediculous to suggest that Delap shoul be on just to throw the ball into big defenders

Defenders chosen in latest Italian squad -

Fabio Cannavaro - 5ft 9ins
    Gianluca Zambrotta - 5ft 11ins
    Georgio Chiellini - 6ft 1ins
    Andrea Dossena - 5ft 8ins
    Daniele Bonera - 6ft
    Fabiano Santacroce - 5ft 10ins
    Alessandro Gamberini - 6ft 1ins

Not a 'monster' between them.

Defenders chosen in latest Italian squad -

Fabio Cannavaro - 5ft 9ins
    Gianluca Zambrotta - 5ft 11ins
    Georgio Chiellini - 6ft 1ins
    Andrea Dossena - 5ft 8ins
    Daniele Bonera - 6ft
    Fabiano Santacroce - 5ft 10ins
    Alessandro Gamberini - 6ft 1ins

Not a 'monster' between them.

All the CBs are taller tha Doyle :rolleyes: How many facts can one person get wrong in one thread :D

Murphy is 6 foot 3, so he could be used. I would have murphy on for Keane anyway, it would suit Traps system better overall

All the CBs are taller tha Doyle :rolleyes: How many facts can one person get wrong in one thread :D

When did I mention Doyle there? You said that Italy have 'tall centre backs'. 6ft or so is not tall for a centre back.

• Advertisement

When did I mention Doyle there? You said that Italy have 'tall centre backs'. 6ft or so is not tall for a centre back.

Whatever :D

Italy would bring Gila or Toni back to cover the move though which could save them.

I think the real point has to be that, with Pulis spending alot more time with the players, and picking Delap ahead of Whelan every week and building the team around him, how can Whelan play ahead of him

No, but I remember a villa game a while back where Mellberg tried to throw the ball back to his keeper and as the keeper tried to stop the ball with his foot, it bounced under and went in. Nobody knew what the ruling was as its such a rare occurance, but the ref gave it as an own goal, later claiming the ball had shaved the kepers studs before going in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS57SvZN8yE

Now you hear people giving out about ref's eyesight but fair play on him being able to see that from 30 yards away... I've watched the replay over and over and still cant see it... ah well, maybe thats why im not a referee :)

(tbh i reckon the ref gave it based on the 'keepers reaction more than anything else)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Some lol comments in this thread.

1) I like to win. And you do too, even if you say you'd rather play "good" football and get hammered;

2)The whole point of Delap's throws is that they pose the same threat to the opposition as when they are facing a corner or setpiece around the box;

3) As such, because you can guarantee that the ball will go into the danger area, we can absolutely send Dunne and O' Shea up just as we would for corners or attacking free kicks;

4) Saying it wouldn't work because Doyle and Keane are small is akin to saying that we are never going to score from a corner or attacking setpiece because Doyle and Keane are small. Which is a bit too defeatist for my liking;

Anything that enables you to consistently get the ball into the opposition six yard box and create a bit of havoc is a good thing. Whether that be a corner, free kick, long throw, cross from out wide, slick passing movement through the middle, long ball, etc, etc.

AND, Reid is out for the next few games which means that in theory there is a space to be filled (Gibson auditioned poorly vs Cyprus). Delap is an athletic, versatile, experienced and hard working midfielder playing regularly at the highest level. Give him a chance I say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Right as usual Lloyd :pac:

Injuries have taken there toll on him i think, But definetly worth a call up. The man brings something else to the team and has proved very effective in the Premiership. Why the hell shouldn't he get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it's absolutely crazy that Glenn Whelan, who warms the bench at Stoke, starts for us and yet Delap, who starts for Stoke, can't even warm the bench for us.

Get him in the squad. His end product would be better than McGeady's. ;)

• Advertisement

I really doubt Tony Pulis gives a damn what you or any other fan thinks tbh. He's there to get results by whatever means possible and it's working.

I would gladly see Ireland resort to option 2 if the situation merited it.
    probably not , but then tony pulis wouldn't care about my opinion on anything , maybe i'm a romantic , but i like my football pure as played by brazil , arsenal, man utd., holland , etc. the true spirit of the game - yes its about winning - but then i wonder why Bolton and stoke are always last games shown on MOTD - maybe I'm not alone

Ah but to be fair, Gary Neville has a monster of a throw in. If United resorted to launching it to Berbatov's head at every opportunity they would still be shown first on MOTD.

Delap was interviewed on MOTD last night , and even he seamed embarassed.
    I just hate direct football, i've watched my own team everton , go from the school of science , to the present .. moyes is a great manager , he manages on a shoe string etc. .. but is it enjoyable to watch ?
    I'm a romantic , as regards my football :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Neanderthals would look at it as out-of-fashion football. Would just give me another reason not to watch Ireland or anyone else..

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

probably not , but then tony pulis wouldn't care about my opinion on anything , maybe i'm a romantic , but i like my football pure as played by brazil , arsenal, man utd., holland , etc. the true spirit of the game - yes its about winning - but then i wonder why Bolton and stoke are always last games shown on MOTD - maybe I'm not alone

I can't remember Ireland ever playing like Brazil, Aresenal, Holland etc...and I don't think it's ever going to happen. We have always played to our strenghts and I think having Delap on the team would be a very welcome addition, not only is his throw-in a lethal weapon, but I think he also playing some good assured football this year. And it's not like we have a wealth of talent and experience in midfield at the moment, why not give him a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

It may put him off by having someone standing in front of him, but that's one less person in the box to deal with all the carnage! Aswel, at the pace his arms follow through at, I wouldn't imagine there would be too many volunteers!!

Does nobody else find the throw ins really entertaining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Does nobody else find the throw ins really entertaining?
    I do, and by the looks of things so do the Stoke crowd.

I don't the whinging tbh, (well actually I do, it's football you'll always get the whinging!). Nobody is saying that we should build our whole game around his throws, it'd just be a good (and effective) option to have at our disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I do, and by the looks of things so do the Stoke crowd.

I don't the whinging tbh, (well actually I do, it's football you'll always get the whinging!). Nobody is saying that we should build our whole game around his throws, it'd just be a good (and effective) option to have at our disposal.

i think they are quality. the crowd love it, opposing teams fear it!

love the way the throw-ins vary in height and speed!

you think he means these slight adjustments or just come about accidentally as hes trying to put all his strength to get it in the 6 yard box??

are there any other throwers who can get near his distance? gary neville used to try them, but i've never seen him put it to good use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Loco wrote: »
    i think they are quality. the crowd love it, opposing teams fear it!

love the way the throw-ins vary in height and speed!

you think he means these slight adjustments or just come about accidentally as hes trying to put all his strength to get it in the 6 yard box??

I read an interview of his a while back where he said Tony Pulis asks him to deliver it a certain way and asks him to focus on the speed of the ball rather than the overall distance. I think it's great how much significance they place on it.

Add my name to the list of people who enjoy watching it. I feel it's unique and brilliant. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7705772.stm

It would be pointless calling Delap up if the opposition managers in Irelands group view this Lee Dixon analysis. Apparently the defender has to head the ball away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Unearthly wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7705772.stm

It would be pointless calling Delap up if the opposition managers in Irelands group view this Lee Dixon analysis. Apparently the defender has to head the ball away.

If teams took dixons advice there then Delap would just fire them in low and hard and the attackers would strike the ball with feet and be unmarked. Best just to not concede throw in's(if possible)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Bad news for Delap and Stoke

http://www.whydelilah.co.uk/blog/chris9589/02_nov_2008/stoke-face-fifa-threat.html

Stoke City’s attempt to avoid the drop could be hit this week amid reports that FIFA will be asked to outlaw the long throw.

Premiership chief Richard Scudamore is set to call in the game’s law makers after a succession of established Premiership defences proved unable to cope with the throws of Rory Delap, which have created seven of the Potters’ 13 league goals this season.

Scudamore is rumoured to have told Spy Sports: “You can’t ask Premiership defenders to head the ball, it’s absolutely against the spirit of the game. FIFA have made the 50-50 tackle a thing of the past and I fully intend to ask that they look very closely at the long throw.

“It’s an unfair advantage for Stoke. You can’t ask players with a proven Premiership pedigree to put their back in to it like Delap does, they’re simply too busy rolling around on the floor.”

Renowned for his support of football at all levels, Scudamore is particularly concerned that Stoke and fellow newcomers Hull are failing to respect Premiership rules.

“We’re worried that the likes of Stoke and Hull are showing no signs of rolling over and asking the big boys to tickle their tummies. They need to look to the examples of Barnsley, Swindon and Derby. Enjoy the ride, concede a bucket full of goals and then get back to where they came from.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Ireland team to facilitate Delap:

GK. Given
    RB McShane
    CB Dunne
    CB O'Shea
    LB Kilbane

DM Delap
    DM Delaney

RW Doyle
    LW Murphy

CF Folan
    CF Sheridan

I welcome caveman football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I reckon hes definitly worth having in the Ireland squad. every throw is like a free kick or corner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement