Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delap

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I welcome caveman football.

Do you people want Ireland to win games, and get the best results possible, or not ffs.

If a tactic proves fruitful, then it should be employed, and results gotten.

I guarantee that if Ireland got to a WC or EC by employing the Delap throw, there would be people creaming themselves over it. Absolutely creaming themselves.

So get off your high horses about "caveman football" and all that other crap, you hypocrites.

Because remember this, when Ireland were at their most succesful, under Charlton, they weren't exactly playing the most attractive football in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Des wrote: »
    Do you people want Ireland to win games, and get the best results possible, or not ffs.

If a tactic proves fruitful, then it should be employed, and results gotten.

I guarantee that if Ireland got to a WC or EC by employing the Delap throw, there would be people creaming themselves over it. Absolutely creaming themselves.

So get off your high horses about "caveman football" and all that other crap, you hypocrites.

Because remember this, when Ireland were at their most succesful, under Charlton, they weren't exactly playing the most attractive football in the world.

But the point is, until FIFA change the rules and allow hockey like subs for set pieces, he has to actually play. So to accommodate his throw you have to accomodate his lack of pace, positioning, ability to defend, pass, tackle and head a football. Something an Italian manager is unlikely to do...

I'm surprised you are backing the chorus that as soon as a player gets noticed by the ole ole's in the EPL he should be in the national side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

thebaz wrote: »
    agree , the Stoke / Wimbledon tactics , get results , but thats not why I play or watch football .
    Don't understand why someone doesn't stand in front off him , to put him off -- all in all its a yawn , that i hope Ireland dont adopt

because you're not allowed to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon hes definitly worth having in the Ireland squad. every throw is like a free kick or corner.

That's actually my video believe it or not. :pac:

I put it up on Sunday night and it's already notched up 241,000 + views and counting. People from all over the world checking it out. I've never seen anything like it. Hopefully Trap was one of them!

That's actually my video believe it or not. :pac:

I put it up on Sunday night and it's already notched up 241,000 + views and counting. People from all over the world checking it out. I've never seen anything like it. Hopefully Trap was one of them!

haha!!cool!! well done on it! just saw it today on most views in the last day or whatever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

anyone see when Andy Grey covered Delap on 'The last word'. Was actually very good, covered the exact points where the throw is most effective from and showed exactly why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

But the point is, until FIFA change the rules and allow hockey like subs for set pieces, he has to actually play. So to accommodate his throw you have to accomodate his lack of pace, positioning, ability to defend, pass, tackle and head a football. Something an Italian manager is unlikely to do...

I'm surprised you are backing the chorus that as soon as a player gets noticed by the ole ole's in the EPL he should be in the national side

That's ****ing bull****.

Delap was Sotton's most consistant player for about 5 years when they were in the PL has been one of stokes best players since joining them, has been inasnely consistant for about 10 years and should have had way more than 11 caps by now.

He's no world beater but he is a much, much better player than any of Glen Whelan, Daren Gibson, Lee Carsley, Liam Miller, Potter and a few otehrs who have been capped ahead of him in the last yew years.

Himself and Martin Rowlands have been over looked for years because they were playing for "small" championship clubs while the likes of Matty Holland, Jonathan Douglas and co were ahead of them.

Seaneh wrote: »
    That's ****ing bull****.

Delap was Sotton's most consistant player for about 5 years when they were in the PL has been one of stokes best players since joining them, has been inasnely consistant for about 10 years and should have had way more than 11 caps by now.

He's no world beater but he is a much, much better player than any of Glen Whelan, Daren Gibson, Lee Carsley, Liam Miller, Potter and a few otehrs who have been capped ahead of him in the last yew years.

Himself and Martin Rowlands have been over looked for years because they were playing for "small" championship clubs while the likes of Matty Holland, Jonathan Douglas and co were ahead of them.

Consistantly mediocre.

Fair play to him as a limited player making the career he did for himself and great to see him causing mayhem in the EPL, but face facts. If it wasn't for that throw in he would be a conference player by now. He is no more an EPL or international midfielder than the man on the moon.

As soon as defences figure out how to deal with that throw, he is gone.

• Advertisement

Only the possibility of a temp ban is stopping me from posting what I'm thinking right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol OhNoYouDidn't. Delap had a very good season for Stoke last year and has performed solidly thus far in the premiership. The long throw aspect of his game is something that he has honed and perfected over the last season too - before that (i.e. the bulk of his career) it was not such a dominant weapon and he was still a regular starter at Championship level and above.
    ability to defend, pass, tackle and head a football

While I will accept that he is not the most creative player and his passing and technique is not top class - every other aspect of his game listed above is top class. That is why he has survived at the top level - he is a fit and athletic workhorse who competes very well in the tackle and in the air. Plus, he understands his role in a team and does what is asked of him.

Rory Delap may be many things, but to suggest that he would be a soft touch off the ball and a defensive liability is beyond ridiculous.

I'll put it another way for you, right now Delap >>>>>>>>> Fahey.

can nobody from the opposing team stand infront of him and jump up and down?? surely it would put him off..... or how far back do you have to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

It's only now his throw in is effective. He done it for Southampton and never assisted one goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

can nobody from the opposing team stand infront of him and jump up and down?? surely it would put him off..... or how far back do you have to be?

FIFA brought in a rule a few years ago that you must stand 2 metres away from the throw taker.
    Arteta got a yellow card for standing in front of him earlier in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

FIFA brought in a rule a few years ago that you must stand 2 metres away from the throw taker.
    Arteta got a yellow card for standing in front of him earlier in the season.

really? i didnt hear about that at all it is still done in sunday league football players sometimes stand infront of the throwers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

yeah, as said earlier, you cant do it any more, its unsporting conduct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yep it's in pages 46 and 47 of the FIFA handbook. I was having a read of it the other day.
    "All opponents must stand no less than 2m (2 yds) from the point at which the throw is taken"

"If an opponent unfairly distracts or impedes the thrower: he is cautioned for unsporting behaviour."

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lotg_en.pdf

Sounds like the law is very much on Rory's side!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

dunno if he would make Irelands first XI when we have a fully fit panel (when is that ever again) but I think there is no question wether he is good enough, on good enough form to dislodge some of the squad players for Ireland who often dont get their game at similar clubs to the one Rory plays for.

+1 Delap for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

+1 Delap for Ireland.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/how-do-you-stop-the-human-sling-989673.html

"Stoke's ground appears to be freakishly windy – a consequence perhaps of having open corners, now rare in the Premier League – which can add further distance to Delap's giant throws. Tony Pulis, the manager, has also narrowed the pitch to the bare minimum allowed, 64 metres. This makes it easier for Delap to reach the middle of the six-yard area."

"The Derby fitness coach had me throwing medicine balls, trying to get a little more out of me, but it started hurting my shoulders and neck," said Delap

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

While I will accept that he is not the most creative player and his passing and technique is not top class - every other aspect of his game listed above is top class. That is why he has survived at the top level - he is a fit and athletic workhorse who competes very well in the tackle and in the air. Plus, he understands his role in a team and does what is asked of him.

:D:D:D

Derby, Southampton and Stoke?

Get a grip. He is a journeyman pro at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Delap's always been a bit shoite, he just happens to be brilliant at a particular type of set piece.

Not sure he'd be good enough to play for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Have you seen the Ireland squad lately?

at least hes actually starting for his club...............

Only the possibility of a temp ban is stopping me from posting what I'm thinking right now.

Arsenal fan?

Loco wrote: »
    Arsenal fan?

WTF?

You angry at delap?

Loco wrote: »
    You angry at delap?

No, he is angry that someone dared to disagree that he is the white Pele

lol! ah yes. sorry missed that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

ONYD, you add nothing but bile and vitriol to this discussion forum, your posts appear as though they are typed by someone with a mental deficiency and dependance on childish slagging rather than any rational argument construction.

Do you really see the use of phrases like B*hs, Manure, Cawk etc. as good ways of making a point and appearing credible to your peers in the forum? I've done a fair bit of stirring around here in my time but you are taking the complete Michael to be honest. Maybe that is your agenda though?

Anyway, on topic:

I agree that Rory Delap is far from a world class footballer, but to say he is not on par if not better than most of the options the Irish National side have at their disposal currently is outrageous. You realise he gets a game for Stoke ahead of one of our National sides starting 11?

I think he widely merits a place in the match squad, but like he has said himself, Trappatoni is building a squad for the World Cup 2010 and beyond and appears to favour the younger player. Delap will be 35 in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

:D:D:D

Derby, Southampton and Stoke?

Get a grip. He is a journeyman pro at best.

Teams that have been in the Premiership or Championship while he has started for them. Happens to be the upper levels of the professional game - and a worthy standard to select the national team from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement