Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where To Go With This Setup ?

Options
  • 02-11-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Here is what I have :

Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4
    CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3800+
    DIMM1: G Skill F2-6400CL5-1GBNQ
    DIMM2: G Skill F2-6400CL5-1GBNQ
    Video Adapter XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB

Money : €150 :D

And here is what I reckon would be the best way of spending it

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Socket AM2 2MB, BOXED w/fan €89 plus shipping

And another 2x1gb dual channel kit for €46 from shop4memory

Any thoughts on this ?, no point saying keep the money and save for something else as that is not an option , if it is not spent now it will get swallowed up .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Any one have an opinion to offer before I go ahead with the purchase ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Personally, i would dump the mobo and cpu onto adverts.ie for 50 quid. So that now gives you 200 to play with.

Get this board:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341466

And pair it with this cpu:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338081

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Thanks Manties for commenting , I should have mentioned 2 things , first being off line by selling before buying isn't an option and second none of my gear gets sold .. it moves down the line to the kids pc .

Throw another question out there for anyone to tell be what seems to be obvious ...... If the website doesn't mention a cpu in the cpu supported list then I take it it's carved in stone .

Example : my GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev. 1.0) seems to support all amd2 and amd2+ except this

Advertisement