Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking in Waterford

• 02-11-2008 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there, I'm new to waterford and wondered if there are any public footpaths along the river or around the city. I don't have a car at the moment so they need to start in the city. I see from the local area map there is a dismantled railway track heading north going upriver of the Suir is is accessable for the public to walk on?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

dismantled railway heading north? the only unused railway i know of is the 'red iron' railway bridge....but thats on the old Waterford-Cork route. any of the railway lines on the far side of the bridge are used and i wouldnt suggest walking on them for safety reasons

you could go out and walk on the new road...out where they're building the new bridge...that'd be a decent walk out from the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 stu_rock

I think thats the one i mean. Its out past lower gracedieu / bilberry road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

yeah thats all the new road now stu...a nice walk all the same..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

It is possible to get onto the old narrow gauge line (suir valley railway these days), but the easiest access point I know of is a little tricky to get to without a car.

You can walk along the quay beside the river and it's nice enough at night.

Some of the nicest places actually require a car to get to. Woodstown is grand on a calm day. Quiet and relaxing. Then there is a favourite of mine in the woods over Cheekpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

how about a walk around the people's park in waterford city , its is 1km around the perimiter of it, plenty of trees and its a nice area also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Out around gracedieu is probably the nicest you're going to get next to sunnybanks on the dunmore road but I don't know if that's still there. Heard there was construction on some parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

There is also the river side walk on the Tramore Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Typhoon. wrote: »
    dismantled railway heading north? the only unused railway i know of is the 'red iron' railway bridge....but thats on the old Waterford-Cork route. any of the railway lines on the far side of the bridge are used and i wouldnt suggest walking on them for safety reasons

you could go out and walk on the new road...out where they're building the new bridge...that'd be a decent walk out from the city

whats the story with that track these days? I remember walking along it years ago and it was lovely, however last time i saw it, it seemed as if the bushes had overgrown into the path.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

magick wrote: »
    whats the story with that track these days? I remember walking along it years ago and it was lovely, however last time i saw it, it seemed as if the bushes had overgrown into the path.

I walked it last year and it seemed relatively clear, certainly not all overgrown on the main line par...although it ios if you cut off and head for the red iron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Cabaal wrote: »
    I walked it last year and it seemed relatively clear, certainly not all overgrown on the main line par...although it ios if you cut off and head for the red iron

lol true, do u remember the old pic of the crashed train that was posted on here a few years ago ?!

Ill have to go back there and see what its like, really enjoyed walking along there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement