Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will a feature packed head unit for less than 100euro be terrible?

Options
  • 02-11-2008 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

I've been looking at getting a new head unit - my interest was mostly sparked by a unit I saw in Lidl:
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20081106.p.SilvercrestBluetoothCarRadio

I looked around a bit online and found a similarly priced one here (Mutant MT2200BT):
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/mutant-mt2200bt-usbsd-bluetooth-p-7054.html

Both are less than 100 euro.

Basically my question is this:

How much of a difference will getting one of these sub-100euro head units make, to say, getting one for two or three times the price? I mean would it actually be 'bad' or would it just not be AMAZING?

I love the features - the SD slot, USB, Bluetooth etc. The Mutant has 4x40W out also, which is fine for the speakers I have in my car. I like a good quality sound - but if I can get reasonably good from these units, I'd be happy.

Any advice is really appreciated!
    Thanks loads,
    dlol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I have a similar one, quality is fine IMO, certainly not "bad" anyway.

Features are indeed very handy, no need for CD's at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

The 4x40w would put me off due to sound quality when its turned up loud. But saying that you cant go wrong on the lidl one with all the features it has for that price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

can anyone confirm if the usb port on the front actually works.

sick of my crappy jap radio that can pick up nothing, and swapped my ipod for a microsoft zune so cant get a connector for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I have this and everything works fine. The CD sometimes (hasn't happened in weeks) doesn't read but a quick tap of the reset switch sorts it out.

But like I was saying, when you have a 4gb SD card/2gb USB you don't really use CDs at all. This one has an aux in so you can stick it into any mp3 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Anyone I know who's tried the Lidl one has said it's fine, good value for the money, and a cheap way to connect your USB stick/MP3 player to your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

The features seem ok but i've seen both a tevion and silvercrest where the rear preouts packed in after a short time,im not sure what the bluetooth compatibility is like but worth a shot for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Have had a very similar Tevion one for about 18 months now, extremely handy for using iPod in the car, never had a bit of trouble with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dlol123

Thanks for all of these responses. I'm still looking into it quite a bit.

I saw one more, a Clarion FB289RBT - but this breaks the sub-100 rule.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/clarion-fb289rbt-p-6506.html

Also, it has no CD player.

I'd be inclined to lean toward the 'Mutant', solely because if they're a company that actually makes car audio parts for a living it may be slighly better, if that makes any sense? Maybe it doesn't even matter at these sort of prices.

I'm also taking a look at that V3 that you have boomstick, though a model with Bluetooth also.

Anyway, thanks for all of these replies again. I thought it'd be a question a lot of people would have, if they want to upgrade their car stereo without spending a lot of money.
    Any more help is definitely appreciated! dlol

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭auto electrical

the clarion unit is a cracking unit dont be put off by the no cd thing you have a good aux in and sd card as well as bluetooth the music off your phone fantastic value as these unit can be bought for as little as €150

Advertisement