Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surfboard as a gift

Options
  • 02-11-2008 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

hi all,
    totally new to surfing, my other half has been going on for absolutely ages bout how much he really wants to get into it, taken a few lessons and absolutely loved it so i'm planning on getting him a board, am i crazy??? :P
    I'm just wondering can anyone offer advice on what type to get etc. max budget is 600, he's over 6'2 so i know it'll have to be a bigish one. Any ideas?? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Nope not crazy at all IMHO. I'd be ****ing ecstatic if my other half got me a new board.

For 600 you could definitely get a decent size board with fins, leash, bag and wax, also don't forget to get a rack if he hasnt one, otherwise cue much frustration on xmas day.

You'd probably want to be looking at least 7' 9" size wise I think.

Take a look at www.kingofwatersports.com, plenty of happy customers of theirs on these forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i would go 8'4", i am shorter than your boyfriend and i think this board would have been a better choice than the 7'9" Bic i went for. only £10 in the difference, and well under your budget of 600, if you have that to spend get him a wetsuit if needed. i think the decision between the boards should go on how sporty he is, if not particularly then go for the bigger one.

my 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭buzzybee

That's great, thanks a million for the replies:D. He'd be very sporty now and surfing is just another one to add to the list, hopefully now he'll be happy with it, speaking of wetsuits, he already has one but maybe a new one wouldn't do any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

of course it wouldnt do any harm :p

best girlfriend ever lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭COOKSTER

Bic are a great beginners board. Most people I know who start on a bic will keep it for those days when the shorty is just too frustrating. They are good fun and are very tough, and because people hold onto them you will always be able to sell it second-hand when he gets into the next sport. Depending where you look €350-400 should get you the board. If T-bay is home then the 8ft+ is the way to go, guarenteeing he's up and standing that bit quicker. I don't bother with a bag for my bic, it looks a bit tatty now, but I don't think it's necessary, though if you don't have a roofrack you will end up with wax on yer car.
    Another option through most of the shops would be a voucher for the shop including a lesson and a couple of hours board hire so he can try out some different sizes once he's been shown what to do. Shops don't make huge mark up (or so they say) but should give a decent discount for the sort of money you're talking about spending. Some shops will even discount the hire price off the cost of a new board.

If you were my girlfriend I would spend the voucher on 2 boards, I'd get you a wetsuit 4 christmas to make sure you got into it too.

See ya out there

C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

COOKSTER wrote: »
    . Most people I know who start on a bic will keep it for those days when the shorty is just too frustrating. They are good fun and are very tough, and because people hold onto them you will always be able to sell it second-hand when he gets into the next sport. Depending where you look €350-400 should get you the board. If T-bay is home then the 8ft+ is the way to go, guarenteeing he's up and standing that bit quicker. I don't bother with a bag for my bic, it looks a bit tatty now, but I don't think it's necessary, though if you don't have a roofrack you will end up with wax on yer car.
    C

good advice, Bic are indeed a great beginners board, you cannot go wrong there if you get the right size. Many surf shops sell a sort of board cover / sock rather than a padded bag, if you want something to keep the wax off the inside of the car, without the bulk / expense of a padded bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭buzzybee

Great, thanks for the replies, much appreciated. It's something that he's really enjoyed doing and he actually has a knack for it, no problem standing at all so i'm hoping he'll keep it up, me pn the other hand, i seem to be consistently falling over but i'll work on it :D

Advertisement