Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another bleeding radiator problem

Options
  • 02-11-2008 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

hi

I have one rad in the bathroom which is airlocked. Very cold on the top. The problem is that the little bolt thingy that you open with the key seams to have been worn down over the years.

The key doesn't seam to be getting enough grip. Any ideas about how I can bleed this radiator?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

hi

I have one rad in the bathroom which is airlocked. Very cold on the top. The problem is that the little bolt thingy that you open with the key seams to have been worn down over the years.

The key doesn't seam to be getting enough grip. Any ideas about how I can bleed this radiator?

thanks

Sounds like someone has been taking pliers or something to the square head and damaged it, since it will never wear down if the right key is used. Best bet would be to buy a new vent screw and valve complete (any heating supplier) then turn off both radiator valves and unscrew the whole bleed fitting. Screw in the new one using thread tape, and now you can open the rad valves and bleed it in the normal way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

ART6 wrote: »
    Sounds like someone has been taking pliers or something to the square head and damaged it, since it will never wear down if the right key is used. Best bet would be to buy a new vent screw and valve complete (any heating supplier) then turn off both radiator valves and unscrew the whole bleed fitting. Screw in the new one using thread tape, and now you can open the rad valves and bleed it in the normal way.

Probably correct, but a brand new key might just fit it - should probably change the vent anyway. If it is an old veha rad with the vent at the back, you cannot change the whole fitting - so a key that fits is the only answer.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

thanks guys, that sounds like a bit of a job will have to read up on it and see if it's something I want to take on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Don't be afraid to give it a go. Its a simple enough job to do and will save you a good few quid if you don't have to call out a plumber. However if the bleed screw is the older type at the back of the rad, this won't be as straight forward as the more modern rads where the bleed screw assembly can be completely removed and replaced in a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

I am in my new house just under a year, All the radiators have thermostats, numbered from 1 to 5. Should all rads at ,say ,3 have the same temp. Mine seem to vary, also the rads are warmer at the base that at the top. Is this normal? How often should rads be bled and how would you know there's an air lock and how is the airlock removed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

Don't be afraid to give it a go. Its a simple enough job to do and will save you a good few quid if you don't have to call out a plumber. However if the bleed screw is the older type at the back of the rad, this won't be as straight forward as the more modern rads where the bleed screw assembly can be completely removed and replaced in a minute.

It's the old type with valve at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It's the old type with valve at the back.

A new key might just fit it. There seem to have been 2 sizes of vent over the years. Someone bought a vent key recently and it would not fit a 30 year old rad. So maybe a new key might fit yours. People often accidently break off the vents on those rads, because they try to turn them the wrong way (being in behind the rad).
    Jim.

Advertisement