Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overmoderating in instruments forum.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Doctor J wrote: »
    Clearly you ignored where I said I was a user of the forum , of course I am familiar with Feylya, also a long time contributor to the forum :)

I said you were familiar with him. I didn't say you were also a moderator on that forum. Because you've never had a run in with Felyla, you don't really have to care when he acts like an arse to someone else.
    You weren't banned, you were warned.

I would have been if I did it a second time, and wouldn't be surprised if I am after this "Investigation". Stop being smart. I tried to be relatively civil and mature but it's becoming increasingly difficuly. I don't see what the point is having random passerbys suck up to the moderation staff, either. A good argument shouldn't be determined by numbers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

First off, you're his comrade so it's obvious you're going to think he's doing a bang up job.

I can't really speak for how well he's done in the past, but in this instance, he was unncessarily threatening and arrogant, and you don't seem to be dealing with, and you're also getting overly insulting towards me. This kind of thing should be decided through a mature argument, not flinging around pointless ad hominem like "Johnny come lately". I've been on more than enough forums to know when a mod is power tripping, thank you very much, not to mention I'm pretty sure neither of you have any real qualifications to be mods other than your own mutual support and general apathy of everyone else.

I do find many online forums in general overly strict but managable. This kind of moderation is not "Managable". Most forums don't talk down to people for having a problem with a moderator making unnecessary threats.

Are those goalposts not too heavy to move all over the place like this?

SDooM wrote: »
    Calling bull sh*t on you college student.

We already had a little blow out about this with you in the Nocturnal forum.

You know you are not to argue with a mod decision on thread. You got banned for that very reason. It looks like this thread has been created purely to create mischief, tbh.

And then you started posting that I was was being unresponsive via pm, despite the fact you were being abusive to me, not the other way around.

Also posting on a Saturday night and bumping within one day because no one's answered? Not good forum etiquette.

I don't remember that very well since I don't tell to dwell on things, but AFAIR you were smug as all hell, all I asked for was an explanation which you outright refused to give, yet you're acting like you can use that against me now. If you were in the right, you would have explained yourself via PM instead of insisting I take it to feedback. There is no possible way you could not know feedback is full of rowdy mods and gowls looking to suck up to the moderators. And given you sound like the definition of an Internet Tough Guy right now I can say was probably in the right.

All of which is irrelevant to whether the mod in question is in the right or not. Veering threads off topic is okay if you're a mod, apparently.

Either way I'm trying to handle this a lot more maturely than last time but apparently it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

First off, you're his comrade so it's obvious you're going to think he's doing a bang up job.

You're wrong. I recently disagreed with him over a ban he issued, and ended up overturning it. If I thought he was wrong in this case, I would have no problem saying so, and taking action on it, but the fact is he does a bang-up job 99.9% of the time. So when I say he does a good job and that he acts in the interest of the forum, I am not saying so because I am his comrade, I am saying so because he is doing a good job.
    you're also getting overly insulting towards me.

Sorry, where have I insulted you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I tried to be relatively civil and mature

B U L L S H I T

How is any of this mature? This is toys getting thrown out of a pram.

You stupidly and pointlessly bumped a thread after a few hours. The mod told you not to do it again.

Now we have all this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You're wrong. I recently disagreed with him over a ban he issued, and ended up overturning it. If I thought he was wrong in this case, I would have no problem saying so, and taking action on it, but the fact is he does a bang-up job 99.9% of the time. So when I say he does a good job and that he acts in the interest of the forum, I am not saying so because I am his comrade, I am saying so because he is doing a good job.

Nobody agrees with anyone 100% of the time. I think you misunderstand what "bias" is. Bias means you are biased towards agreeing with him 100% of the time, not that you actually do. I might be biased towards always agreeing with a friend, but if says something homophobic I'm going to disagree with him.

You are saying he does a good job in general and seem to refuse to consider the case at hand. You have not specifically commented on the issues I raise. Your overall impression of him therefore might even be based off ignoring every such case and is therefore further irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I love the fact that instead of using your time to get your original issue resolved, you're here wasting time on a petty squabble because you couldn't get your issue resolved.

I don't remember that very well since I don't tell to dwell on things.

Here it is if you need to refresh your memory.
    Is that enough rope yet ya'think?

I would have been if I did it a second time, and wouldn't be surprised if I am after this "Investigation". Stop being smart. I tried to be relatively civil and mature but it's becoming increasingly difficuly. I don't see what the point is having random passerbys suck up to the moderation staff, either. A good argument shouldn't be determined by numbers.

Sorry, what? Nobody posting here is a random passerby, myself and the Doc are regular posters of the instruments board, and I believe we speak with a degree of experience on it. Dismissing people who reply, or disagree with you, as a 'random passerby' is a complete straw-man argument.

You are saying he does a good job in general and seem to refuse to consider the case at hand. You have not specifically commented on the issues I raise. Your overall impression of him therefore might even be based off ignoring every such case and is therefore further irrelevant.

I have considered the case in hand. I made the suggestion that it is reasonable to bump a thread, and suggested that an amend to the charter be made to cover instances exactly like this in future. I've PM'd feylya with my suggestion regarding the specifics of the rule. I didn't ignore the case at hand, and I do think that I've commented fairly.

I think what you mean to say is, I didn't agree with you, so you're dismissing my posts.

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote: »
    B U L L S H I T

How is any of this mature? This is toys getting thrown out of a pram.

You stupidly and pointlessly bumped a thread after a few hours. The mod told you not to do it again.

Now we have all this :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but your attitude is absolutely everything wrong with this country, and internet messageboards as a whole. Calling me a manchild because I disagree with a mod decision - doesn't it seem wrong to you at all? Anytime anyone complains about something can be cast as a child, when in reality Felyla's actions are just that, making a childish comment and refusing to debate it maturely. Power tripping IS immature. Questioning power tripping is not. Why are mods somehow magically exempt from it? It is classic practice for conservative idiots to challenge the maturity of those who disagree with the status quo.

If I'm wrong, then please contest this rationally. You're not going to. Trying to bring down other people's maturity does not raise your own. At no point have I sunk to idiotic challenges of maturity like you have.

The mods do not need standing up for. You are only serving to further clog up this thread while Feylyla has a right laugh that he can act as abrasive as he likes and not be challenged.

Sorry, what? Nobody posting here is a random passerby, myself and the Doc are regular posters of the instruments board, and I believe we speak with a degree of experience on it. Dismissing people who reply, or disagree with you, as a 'random passerby' is a complete straw-man argument.
    To clarify this one, CorkStudent, The doc he is referring to is of the Jay variety not the B. And neither am I a random passerby, I am here merely to serve as a sort of impartial scorekeeper but it has become quite difficult to tally the number of fallacies you have resorted to whilst insulting the poor debating skills of others.

I'm sorry, but your attitude is absolutely everything wrong with this country, and internet messageboards as a whole. Calling me a manchild because I disagree with a mod decision - doesn't it seem wrong to you at all? Anytime anyone complains about something can be cast as a child, when in reality Felyla's actions are just that, making a childish comment and refusing to debate it maturely. Power tripping IS immature. Questioning power tripping is not. Why are mods somehow magically exempt from it? It is classic practice for conservative idiots to challenge the maturity of those who disagree with the status quo.

If I'm wrong, then please contest this rationally. You're not going to. Trying to bring down other people's maturity does not raise your own. At no point have I sunk to idiotic challenges of maturity like you have.

The mods do not need standing up for. You are only serving to further clog up this thread while Feylyla has a right laugh that he can act as abrasive as he likes and not be challenged.

Contest this rationally? I'm not the one who's resorting to personal abuse. I'm not the one who is having a hissy fit over getting a warning for pointlessly bumping a thread.

If you had been banned you would have a case. You got a warning and you've started up all this ****e, merely to continue your long standing axe-grinding against mods. Yeah, very mature.

The mods do not need standing up for.

So what you're saying is, you want to be able to rag on the moderators without reprisal, and for them to have no say in the matter or be allowed to defend themselves.

I have considered the case in hand. I made the suggestion that it is reasonable to bump a thread, and suggested that an amend to the charter be made to cover instances exactly like this in future. I've PM'd feylya with my suggestion regarding the specifics of the rule. I didn't ignore the case at hand, and I do think that I've commented fairly.

I think what you mean to say is, I didn't agree with you, so you're dismissing my posts.

You still have not dealth with his unncessarily threatening tone, him dismissing my PMs, and you also implying because I'm new that he automatically knows better(which is where you insulted me, by the way).

It is unfair that I come off as the immature one now, I have to argue my case on my own whereas the mods have an endless supply of Doctor Js to back them up. I had a terrible experience with feedback last time.

If Feedback is just a place to take potshots at people who disagree with you, which face it, looking through the last few pages, is what almost every thread turns into(and the ridiculous spamming cat pictures, oh boy I just found 4chan how hilarious) I don't get the point in even allowing.

The fact is the majority of these threads end up like this. You can say I'm in the wrong because the majority opposes me, but when this keeps happening you have to raise some questions.

Nobody should feel this powerless on a major public forum. And yes it is public, if you want to treat it like private property then it wouldn't be something I can google up. This is clearly a bigger issue than Feylyla, this entire forum is full of snarky attitudes and langers looking to score kudos from their favourite mods.

It would be great if I could simply choose another forum, but most people stick with the familiar, as this thread shows. I am tired of the feedback forum being a folly. I don't want to come in here a third time and be automatically shot down because I'm not a mod.

You shoul not allow side comments from people like Doctor J in these forums. What purpose do they serve exactly? If the mods are in the right, they should not need kudos points. A good argument or against the case of the mods, yes. But BAWW YOU'RE THROWING YOUR TOYS OUT CHILD does not help this thead and I'm not going to reply to further comments until it's explained to me why this is allowed and why you let feedback be a near useless mess of cat pictures.

And, again, as a long time user of the instruments forum I'd like to publicy recongnise the good job I believe Feylya does.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If Feedback is just a place to take potshots at people who disagree with you, which face it, looking through the last few pages, is what almost every thread turns into(and the ridiculous spamming cat pictures, oh boy I just found 4chan how hilarious) I don't get the point in even allowing.

The fact is the majority of these threads end up like this. You can say I'm in the wrong because the majority opposes me, but when this keeps happening you have to raise some questions.

Why didn't you post this in Help Desk then if you don't like how Feedback works?

an endless supply of Doctor Js
    hey maybe in an ideal world :D
    You shoul not allow side comments from people like Doctor J in these forums. What purpose do they serve exactly? If the mods are in the right, they should not need kudos points. A good argument or against the case of the mods, yes. But BAWW YOU'RE THROWING YOUR TOYS OUT CHILD does not help this thead and I'm not going to reply to further comments until it's explained to me why this is allowed and why you let feedback be a near useless mess of cat pictures.
    Are you saying my posts should be moderated more strictly?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You set a thread up and the next day you bump it. That's frowned upon in every forum on this site.
    You were warned not to do it again, it was just a warning, hardly worth bringing to Feedback.
    feylya did exactly what is expected from him as a Mod of that forum.
    Xavi6 wrote:
    Why didn't you post this in Help Desk then if you don't like how Feedback works?

No point.
    The response will be the same as I've given above.

This thread is done.

btw corkstudent
    If you are looking for a response on a mod in the future the Feedback is not the place to do it, but rather the Help Desk, where only Smods and Admin can respond.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement