Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

late paying car tax

Options
  • 02-11-2008 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

My car tax is out of date since fri. Never got time to pay it but will be paying it this week.

Would it be safe to take the car out today for a short local trip.

If cops were out stopping motorists would they get me for driving without tax. More than likely tax will be backdated to nov. 1st

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

There's usually a couple of weeks grace so you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Depends on the particular Garda.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Happens me a lot because of the time it takes between paying online and receiving the disk in the post. I never had any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Strictly it is against the law, but I had a similar issue recently and I explained it to the guard and he was fine with it.

I just bought a new car and there was no tax disk or insurance disk in it. I was stopped by a guard at a checkpoint and I explained that I had had bought the car the previous day and it was insured, and I was waiting for the log book before I could tax it. He said that was fine and sent me on my way.

I think guards usually have a bit of common sense ;).

you'll be fine, if they ask, which they won't, say you only did it online on thursday, but they won't ask.

And yep. They'll backdate it til Saturday anyway,

• Advertisement

Some Gardaí will argue that you will have had the renewal notice several weeks so you had plenty of time to renew in advance. Strictly speaking they are right.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Some Gardaí will argue that you will have had the renewal notice several weeks so you had plenty of time to renew in advance. Strictly speaking they are right.

You would want to be one real bastard to enforce that one strictly.
    A mate of mine told me a story about a friend of his that was over the couple of weeks late to pay the tax and he had the car taken off him at a roadside check until he paid his tax and presumably a fine. Is that bull**** or does it happen?

I thought legally you had 10 days grace?
    Could be completely wrong mind you.....

Legally there is no grace period. It is purely down to the discretion of the Garda.

The tax must have expired 3 months before it can be seized under S41 of the Road Traffic Act 1994.
    Detention of vehicles.

41.—(1) The Minister may, after consultation with the Minister for Justice, make regulations authorising and providing for the detention, removal, storage and subsequent release or disposal of a mechanically propelled vehicle in use in a public place where—

( a ) the person driving the vehicle refuses or fails to produce there and then a driving licence then having effect and licensing him to drive the vehicle, when production of such a licence is demanded of him by a member of the Garda Síochána under section 40 (1) of the Principal Act and the member is of opinion that the person is by reason of his age ineligible to hold a driving licence licensing him to drive the vehicle,

( b ) the vehicle is or a member of the Garda Síochána reasonably believes it to be registered in the State and the member is of opinion that the vehicle is being so used in contravention of section 56 (1) of the Principal Act, or

( c ) a member of the Garda Síochána is of opinion that any excise duty payable under section 1 of the Finance (Excise Duties) (Vehicles) Act, 1952 , in respect of the vehicle, being a vehicle which is or which the member reasonably believes to be registered in the State, has not been paid in respect of a continuous period of 3 months or more immediately prior to such use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I'm surprised they have'nt did the whole SORN thing yet like the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

If you've enough time to be posting a thread about it on here, then surely you have enough time to pay it online? Then you can print the receipt to take with you so if any garda does say anything you have the proof that you've paid and you're just waiting on mr postman ;)

Top Dog wrote: »
    If you've enough time to be posting a thread about it on here, then surely you have enough time to pay it online? Then you can print the receipt to take with you so if any garda does say anything you have the proof that you've paid and you're just waiting on mr postman ;)
    Well Said. :)

I'm surprised they have'nt did the whole SORN thing yet like the UK.
    Could you imagine the chaos here if that started?

Tractors that have never been taxed in 20 years. All the old scrapped cars that no one sent back the log books for. :)

Top Dog wrote: »

Is it not the case that once you exceed the deadline for paying it you can no longer use the pin to pay online?
    If it is not the case I feel a right lemon for queueing in the Motor Tax office!

PIN is valid for 3 months from the expiry of the last tax disc.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    PIN is valid for 3 months from the expiry of the last tax disc.
    Thanks.
    /kicks self.
    /facepalm.
    /kicks self again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Just scan in your disc & change the date to give you an extra six months.
    Then get your missus to go into the cop shop in 5 months time & say the car was off the road.
    You can thank me later ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Just scan in your disc & change the date to give you an extra six months.
    Then get your missus to go into the cop shop in 5 months time & say the car was off the road.
    You can thank me later ;);)

Any more of that crap from you and you won't be posting here any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

I dont have access to a computer so cant pay it online. I'm on boards on my mobile. I lost my renewal form a few weeks agos. I found it during the week. My mam used the envelope and its contents as a shopping list and bookmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

No you can't drive without tax, you're breaking the law and that is frowned upon here on boards.

• Advertisement

Stop trolling, Dave147.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You can be fined, but AFAIK it's the only disc they can't seize the car for being outdated, non displayed.

Not having NCT or insurance is dangerous, no tax is less criminal, though an offence all the same. A receipt will not suffice, nor will a photocopy of the disc.

The fine is actually for "non display".

TBH people know their tax is going to expire so I have no pity for anyone who can't organise themselves to pay it. You don't even need a renewal to tax it at the tax office, or you didn't the last time I did it for my dad....but it's at least 3 years since I've set foot in a motor tax office.

I've recently begun to believe it's about time motor tax was abolished really.

ninty9er wrote: »
    I've recently begun to believe it's about time motor tax was abolished really.

You might want to explain to your green coalition friends what the principle of "the polluter pays" means first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

unkel wrote: »
    You might want to explain to your green coalition friends what the principle of "the polluter pays" means first :D

I was lambasted over in politics for making such a suggestion:rolleyes: I was only putting 43.5c on petrol and 50c on diesel.....and slashing VRT in A-D as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Happens me a lot because of the time it takes between paying online and receiving the disk in the post. I never had any trouble.

Disc usually arrives 2 days after taxing online. So do you leave it too late to have your disc at the start of the month?

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Disc usually arrives 2 days after taxing online. So do you leave it too late to have your disc at the start of the month?

Not too late.
    Just fashionably late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

unkel wrote: »
    Stop trolling, Dave147.

Sorry, bad day at the office, you know how it is ;) carry on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Jesus they're not gonna seize a car with tax a few days out, a little bit of realism please :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

I made the journey and there wasnt a cop in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Glad it worked out.

When I bought my aul car it didnt have any tax so I drove around that weekend as I had to wait till monday. I had nothing on display and got thru two checkpoints. So its all down to the cop.

Advertisement