Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extensions for assignments

• 02-11-2008 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Does it p*ss anybody else off when lecturers give extensions for assignments??

We had a month to do an assignment, and when the handup time comes up, 2 or 3 fellas didn't have it done so the lecturers leaves em off and tells em bring it in next week.

This place actually wants to be a University and deadlines are just totally ignored by lecturers?? Firstly it is completely unfair on the guys that meet the deadline, and secondly, it really just shows to me that this guy's class is a f*cking joke.

I really, really think I should bring this to the course coordinator. One of the lads wanted to the department head about it last year but we talked him out of it. Don't know why but we did. Anybody else seeing this in their course??

Now I'm not talking about genuine, agreed in advance extensions. I'm literally talking about hand-up time, 2 or 3 mopes saying, "oh, I don't have it done even though we had a month," and being told they can just take another week no hassle...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭joulter

not really no. they'll end up puttin in the same amount of work you did to do it (in a much shorter time frame). cant really see how its unfair. i have a good idea which of my lecturers are lax with deadlines and which arent and i work around that. if ur busy with other assignments sometimes you depend on deadline extensions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

if they didn't give those extensions there would be noone left...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

joulter wrote: »
    not really no. they'll end up puttin in the same amount of work you did to do it

ya but with an extra week. mine would have been perfect had i an extra week.

towel401 wrote: »
    if they didn't give those extensions there would be noone left...

i'd be left, as would half my class. the guys who do f*ck all and can't meet a deadline would be gone - but i'm for keeping standards high myself.

if deadlines are lax, why set them at all?? it's a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

ya but with an extra week. mine would have been perfect had i an extra week.

I doubt that, but maybe you are the exception :)

For the majority of people it would only mean submitting the same standard a week later.

By your logic you should have started a week earlier and submitted a perfect piece.

The Lecturers are not stupid and everything they do has potential to be reviewed, as every case is reviewed independently I would imagine he had a reason, and the lecturer found this reasonable grounds for an extension, you dont have to agree with this, but then again he is getting paid to teach and you are paying to learn so maybe its best not to second guess. :D

• Advertisement

deegs wrote: »
    I doubt that, but maybe you are the exception :)

For the majority of people it would only mean submitting the same standard a week later.

By your logic you should have started a week earlier and submitted a perfect piece.

The Lecturers are not stupid and everything they do has potential to be reviewed, as every case is reviewed independently I would imagine he had a reason, and the lecturer found this reasonable grounds for an extension, you dont have to agree with this, but then again he is getting paid to teach and you are paying to learn so maybe its best not to second guess. :D

so a guy saying, "i didn't know what we had to do!!!" a month later is a genuine reason??

there were 3 guys pretty much just didn't have it done and they were all let off. why should the rest of us put in the work to get it done when they don't, and get away with it??

if anything, these guys should be thought they can't miss deadlines. once they hit the working world they won't get away with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

once they hit the working world they won't get away with it...

You would be very surprised :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 just.for.boards

joulter wrote: »
    not really no. they'll end up puttin in the same amount of work you did to do it (in a much shorter time frame). cant really see how its unfair. i have a good idea which of my lecturers are lax with deadlines and which arent and i work around that. if ur busy with other assignments sometimes you depend on deadline extensions...

Its unfair because we all are expected to manage our workload in the same time frame, lets say we have 5 projects on the go, we will have to sacrifice the amount of time we put into each project to have all 5 done by the deadline, If 2 or 3 people get an extension its unfair because they get a longer period of time to manage their workload and as a result the 5 projects their working on benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Seanot

Its unfair because we all are expected to manage our workload in the same time frame, lets say we have 5 projects on the go, we will have to sacrifice the amount of time we put into each project to have all 5 done by the deadline, If 2 or 3 people get an extension its unfair because they get a longer period of time to manage their workload and as a result the 5 projects their working on benefit.

+1

Seanot wrote: »
    +1

glad to see that some people see sense. if standards aren't going to be kept high then CIT might as well resign to the reputation that it worked for years to get rid of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Hi its Me

Lecturers do it all the time.
    One looked at the assignments handed in and gave the late people pointers on what to put and not to put.

Hi its Me wrote: »
    Lecturers do it all the time.
    One looked at the assignments handed in and gave the late people pointers on what to put and not to put.

what?? are you serious?? that's even worse than allowing them to be late in the first place...

• Registered Users, Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Dogs & Cats

Was it a marketing class, if so I was in that class.

The lecturer was part time, he doesn't work in CIT anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hi its Me

Yes Dogs & Cats it was, I was in the class in 2005 (it seems so long ago now) if that was the year you were there then pm me please.

Was it a marketing class, if so I was in that class.

The lecturer was part time, he doesn't work in CIT anymore.

:rolleyes: lol...i wonder why...

Advertisement