Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library closed on Saturdays

Options
  • 02-11-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Why is our library closed on Saturdays?? Surely we are the only college in Ireland whose library is not open on a Saturday...anyone know why this is??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Why is our library closed on Saturdays?? Surely we are the only college in Ireland whose library is not open on a Saturday...anyone know why this is??
    Tell me about it, last weekend I drove up really early in morning just so I could spend day in library. Walked in and care taker tells me not opened saturdays, that he'd close the college if he got his own way as only few people around. I heard somewhere that they couldn't get staff for the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Tell me about it, last weekend I drove up really early in morning just so I could spend day in library. Walked in and care taker tells me not opened saturdays, that he'd close the college if he got his own way as only few people around. I heard somewhere that they couldn't get staff for the library.

they couldn't get staff?? sounds like the usual excuse to me. surely they'd get staff. damn i know a haul of people that would do a saturday shift there if needed!!

Gearoid, SU President, told me that they were working on it, apparently the powers that be put it down to resources...

Did this place actually apply for University Status ?? And the library closed on a Saturday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

You cant force staff to work saturday's when it wasn't origionally in their terms of agreement. I imagine for future contracts it will state this, I dont think university status really makes any difference either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Gearoid, SU President, told me that they were working on it, apparently the powers that be put it down to resources...

the recession?

• Advertisement

deegs wrote: »
    You cant force staff to work saturday's when it wasn't origionally in their terms of agreement. I imagine for future contracts it will state this, I dont think university status really makes any difference either way.

they can get in more staff, plenty of students would do it for them if needed be. UCC's library is open 10 - 10 on a Sunday!! the library is a key resource to any college and should be open on a Saturday...

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

That's strnge it used to be open saturdays?
    (im gone just over a year) I dont think it used open the first few weeks but coming up to exams at christmas it usually did. And it used open on sunday too.
    Ask the librarians 'some' of them are nice enough to talk to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MoonGoDown

It used to be open on Saturdays and seeing that there's well over 20 members of the library staff I don't think a staff shortage is the issue.

But given the fact the college wants to cut €5 million off the wage bill alone for 2009, I'd just put it down to good ol' fashioned penny pinching as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

MoonGoDown wrote: »
    It used to be open on Saturdays and seeing that there's well over 20 members of the library staff I don't think a staff shortage is the issue.

But given the fact the college wants to cut €5 million off the wage bill alone for 2009, I'd just put it down to good ol' fashioned penny pinching as usual.
    +1 penny pinching seems to be a pastime of the stuffed shirts of our wonderful institution

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Nice to know that not much has changed so. I graduated in 2004 and this was always an issue that came up.

I was also in DCU and they are open saturday and sunday too all the time as far as i remember. Some services were curtailed like taking out books on the weekend but thats ok as the library is usally used as study or project work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jk47

cit is a hole. im sick of this kinda ****. the library is a minimum requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

jk47 wrote: »
    cit is a hole. im sick of this kinda ****. the library is a minimum requirement.
    Yep, UCC's is open until 2am sometimes as far as I know, least that what my friend there is saying.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Yep, UCC's is open until 2am sometimes as far as I know, least that what my friend there is saying.

And 24 hours on occasion...

Advertisement