Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback forum in need of serious reform

Options
  • 02-11-2008 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

The members are relatively powerless on the forums these days. This forum is fairly in active with each thread getting only a few replies.

Making a thread in feedback is pointless because it's one person against what seems like the entire board. Nearly every thread results in a mod victory, and descending into spam and cat pictures. Given mods are generally chosen for their activity level and how much they act like other mods, they have no real qualifications and should be not treated as professionals.

Really, banning for 1 or 2 minor offenses needs to stop as it's stifling activity on some of the boards there's currently no other real alternative online to. This would help clear up the feedback forum a little. A feedback forum should read like an intelligent argument, not a bunch of posters saying anyone who challenges the mods is a big crybaby. Even when a thread starts off civil, apparenly to some mods and members the very fact that it challenges a mod makes it whining and therefore immature. This is head wreckingly stupid and makes it impossible to get a point across.

I know this is a privately owned property, but it's not privately available. As the largest Irish forum I think that the members should have more input to how it works. As it stands most members will only defend the status quo as is unfortunately the way Ireland is these days, but within time I would hope moderation becomes more lax on most things but a little tighter on genuine trolling.

I'm usually moderately well behaved on this forum, the only instances where I've acted out have been down to the interference of mods, which is entirely counterproductive.

I think most of these problems I mention with the mods is down to the fact that there is no place to publically challenge them. Which is why the feedback forum needs to be fixed up.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The Feedback forum is for all things to do with the running of this site.

However, if you wish to complain about a Mod/ban then the Help Desk Forum is where you should have come if you didn't want other peoples views on your complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Well, now I know.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm usually moderately well behaved on this forum, the only instances where I've acted out have been down to the interference of mods, which is entirely counterproductive.
    You are saying that you are usually well behaved, but when mods moderate - you are not well behaved?

Do you have problems with authority in general?

Gordon wrote: »
    You are saying that you are usually well behaved, but when mods moderate - you are not well behaved?

Do you have problems with authority in general?

I have a problem with those that disregard logic and critical thinking. Making a moderation decision and arrogantly refusing the explain yourself(As Feylyla and SDooM did). Moreover, going to effort to write a PM explaining why they don't have to explain themselves is just covering it up. This is acceptable on boards.

I can see no reason why mods should be allowed to refuse reasoning from members. Maybe it takes a little more of their time(if they're doing their job right it shouldn't), but given threads about it aren't that common I doubt they'd deal with that much of it, plus it should be part of the "job description". If it's an issue you could always get more.

• Advertisement

I have a problem with those that disregard logic and critical thinking. Making a moderation decision and arrogantly refusing the explain yourself.

They have nothing further to explain.

You started a thread.
    You bumped it - a big no no.
    When you were warned not to do it again, you argued on thread - another big no no.

These are the rules of this site, they require no further explaination.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    They have nothing further to explain.

You started a thread.
    You bumped it - a big no no.
    When you were warned not to do it again, you argued on thread - another big no no.

These are the rules of this site, they require no further explaination.

Excuse me, but since when did mods transcend human and become beyond reason, despite having no real qualifications for what they do to begin with?

It is still valid for me to question your motives and your actions, that's what's called "Critical Thinking". It is inumanly arrogant to say you have no right to explain yourselves.

You define the rules. You can agree on any BS rules you like and then point to them as justification. It is not only not justification, it is the polar opposite of it. This is beyond the realm of opinion - it's fact. It's how circular reasoning is defined. You are incorrect, objectively.

Also, I was banned from the Instruments forum this time. The thread showed no signs of being unlocked so I made a similar thread, as I needed an answer. Now quite frankly, I should have every right to criticise the rules in this forum as should anyone else. You have every right to criticise my behaviour, but circular reasoning is not the way to do so.

Your answer is unacceptable and this decision is unacceptable. A mod should not act against the purpose of the forum, which is what happened. I have seen no evidence the mods actually care about the board, only their own power.

If you were correct, you would debate this maturely instead of hiding behind rules you created anyway. Rules do not justify themselves. I could set up a super popular messageboard(unlikely, if I could I would so people would not have to come here) and make a rule banning all gay people. Even if you make an argument that I have a "right" to do so, it still wouldn't be right. As a supposedly rational human being, my actions would be called into question, and so should yours.

The fact that you are putting both you and a bunch of people who seem completely incapable of mature debate beyond reason is both childish and insane. Like it or not, you have a small monopoly on some of the forums here and should have a responsibility as there is no alternative(believe me, I've searched for another active Irish Instruments forum, and even if I did I doubt I'd forums to replace every boards one).

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I don't see the problem with bumping a thread after a day in a busy forum if it gets no replies. I think feylyas warning was unnecessary and somewhat boot stompy, to be perfectly honest.

At the same time, if you're looking to bring around people to your way of thinking corkstudent, you're going about it the wrong way. You're attacking people and entrenching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

This isn't your first account here is it corkstudent?

Advertisement