Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Masks

Options
  • 02-11-2008 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Are these allowed to be used in skirmishes? Do they provide adequate protection for eyes? If not, could I wear protective goggles over them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,836 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yes you're allowed wear them.

But-

Have you ever had to wear a gasmask for a long period of time? They're extremely uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

considering the amount of running involved and the material from which they are made your gonna sweat like a mo fo and get dehydrated pretty damn quick and if your lucky the lenses wont fog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 B^U

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I was wearing the gas mask, as well as my flak jacket for Halloween... I'm willing to put up with the sweat but I'm sure there's a solution I can get for the glass fogging up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

B^U wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I was wearing the gas mask, as well as my flak jacket for Halloween... I'm willing to put up with the sweat but I'm sure there's a solution I can get for the glass fogging up?

not a whole lot, those anti fogging solutions dont seem to do jack but heres something i do and im sure you will hear from a good few people in here. clean the inside lenses and let them dry. get sa small bit of fairy liquid and polish it into the lenses until dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

You'll find 90% of gas masks aren't capable of protecting you from bb strikes. Between thin lenses cracking or breaking after a hit, and gaps in the mask to allow for breathing or filters, they're rarely useful for airsoft.
    A few are though, so be sure to check if the lens has an ANSI certification and inspect all weakspots (like the vent ports) for potential to allow a bb strike to penetrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, I've just done this. I bought an S10 British SAS(And Civil with slight variation) Avon Respirator with sealed filter. Its lovely. There is NO fogging whatsoever, there's a seal between eyes and mouth, our friends in black use only the best! As of yet I have been unable to damage the lenses, including with .3s fired at .98J from under 10cm distance. Leaves like a grease mark that you can wipe away with youur finger, but thats it.

BUT, and this is a big but, the vents are weak. Even ranged shots are capable of shattering parts of all three(left right and centre). You have to reinforce them. My first attempt failed, the chickenwire stuff I used was junk. No I've replaced this with a sanyo speaker grille(stamped not woven mesh), this dents slightly at close range but should last a long while before it needs replacing, its the same stuff as used many mesh masks.

I'll post a pic later:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Ive actually shot one myself and it cracked the lens, as dex said, make sure its rated for impact or defo dont take a risk wearing it. you could also remove the lens's and cut out some new ones from perspex or lexan etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

The lenses in the s10 gas marks are not normally ballistic rated and as far as im aware not ballistically safe from everything i;ve read there ''S10 is resistant to chemicals, and not impact resistant.''

http://www.ironfoot.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1964.0

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Remember, these were first produced in the early eighties, I'd say there a quite a few variations.

I'll put a clip up during the week if you'd like, but I can seem to damage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

I would always says its better to replace lens on gas masks with rated version you know about, there is a large people like like to use gas masks in airsoft for a lot of reasons there is a lot of information over at redtroops forums for example but everything i;ve read about any version has been about replacing the lens and i;ve never come across anyone advising people to use the stock.

I;ve did a far amount of reading up on this as i;ve wanted to convert a russian gasmask for some time for cqb games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 B^U

My mask is an Isreali issue one, I doubt I could replace the lenses. Is it against forum rules to ask where I could get a gasmask, with which I could replace the lenses (ie, like the Russian one already mentioned)?

Also, thanks for the anti-fogging tip:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

My S10 with Polycarbonate lens outsets. Might use it for CQB now and then but its more of a collectors piece.

SASGas.jpg

Advertisement