Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've hit a wall and need some advice!

• 02-11-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all,
    This thread is really what it says in the title. I've give you a very brief history of my guitar playing:
    I started when I was 13 (I'm now approaching 26) and did the usual Oasis, Beatles, indie etc. thing that everyone did at the time. I started playing bands when I was 15 and continued to do so for 6 years. My playing improved a bit when in bands as I pushed myself to learn covers etc. Since I stopped playing in bands a few years ago (due to a variety of personal reasons) my playing has completely slowed and this is a brief snapshot of where I am now:
    I know a little bit of lead guitar, mostly pentatonic stuff
    I know lots of little bits of songs and solos but not complete
    I have studied some classical but that was nearly 10 years ago
    I used to play a lot of chords cover songs but have now almost stopped
    I find it exceptionally difficult to learn new material be it chords, scales, solo, technique etc. I find it very hard to focus and discipline myself.

Where I'd like to be:
    Increase my musical knowledge
    Able to play solos, covers and improvise
    Able to play by ear
    Tackle a new variety of techniques like jazz, blues, classical etc.

What I'd like is any advice, tips, direction on where to go? I'm finding it very hard to pull myself out of this slump and every time I pick up a guitar I am playing the exact same stuff which is frustrating me immensely.
    I was thinking of going down the formal route and getting classically trained so I get a structure to learn by and huge musical knowledge. However I am afraid that something so formal might take the fun out of something I love so much.
    All help much appreciated and thanks for reading this very long rant!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Insanesomeone

Lessons with a good teacher might be a good idea. If your handing out money you'll be more inclined to get out the guitar and practice than say, if you buy a bunch of books or something.

I'd also reccommend trying completely different styles than what your used to. For instance if your into pop and rock, listen to some bands like the dillenger escape plan, or meshuggah, and some latin or such. Finding and hearing new musical ideas and expressions can be a good way to get motivated about learning and improving yourself.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It sounds like you need a kick in the ass, and you know it :)

I'm exactly the same, I have to focus really hard to force myself to try new things and I get easily discouraged too. I've found Youtube has taught me a great deal by looking at tutorials for songs I like. I presume you can find them for guitar too.

I think you need a teacher to force you to get out of the "acceptible" rut you find yourself in... then maybe you will love to play again.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

OP, you may as well have described my own playing 'career'. I got a great teacher as a result and am much happier with my playing. Just watch out for the types that charge 30 quid/hour to transcribe some songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Funny enough I'm in the exact same boat myself at he moment. I'm completely self taught and I reckon I've reached my limit with what I can learn without some guidance so I reckon it's time for lessons.

Are their any tips for finding good teachers anyone can give? I've done a bit of research and I've found a few in the local area but just having a name and number isn't much to go on. Unfortunately I'm the only person I know that plays guitar so I've no one to ask, and a search on the Internet leaves me no wiser.

Is there anything I should be asking to find out if they're any good or not, or is it a case of try them and see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Its not ideal but for a bit of a touch up on your playing you
    can always give www.spytunes.co.uk a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

I am in the exact same boat. Playing since I was 15, can play bits of everything but master of none really. Completely self thought and have only a basic understand of musical theory (from years of unhappy classical piano tuition).

Have made the decision to really learn the blues. Have self thought myself a few tunes but have no understanding of the pentatonic scales etc..

Any ideas on the best way of learning??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

The best way I've found is the "Blues You Can Use" book series.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blues-You-Can-Use-Complete/dp/0793542057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227445885&sr=8-1

The author, John Ganapes, also keeps a website and forum where he corresponds with users of his books, providing extra advice, and some corrections or clarifications of the material in the books.

http://www.bluesyoucanuse.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

Weird, you describe the EXACT suituation ive been in for a long while.

Started when in was 15, made great progress, played in a few bands, stopped playing due to college and study, and now in my mid 20's I cant seem to learn anything on my own.

I have only recently found out how to break out of this and its with lessons. Not just lessons with anyone though, someone who will explain music in relation to the guitar, how to build any chord, how to USE the pentatonic and blues scales ( not just walk thourgh them as i recently found out i was doing for the past number of years).

I know of such a teacher. Dont know if i posted their name would they be peeved off, or if its against boards rules ( could be seen as advertising i guess) but If you want it, and are around dublin, send me a PM and il give you the details.

whatever way you decide to proceed, good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Start tabbing and writing your own songs! Seriously im in the same boat as to wanting to know music theory and my friend who is bloody genius in music theory (god damn UK education system why do they do all the interesting stuff) and he said just get tabbing on guitar pro and you ll start understand. Every day i play guitar i usually hey thats nice ill tab that out and it over times builds your knowledge of music theory. Now i know its not complete but god its a start!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Hi all,
    This thread is really what it says in the title. I've give you a very brief history of my guitar playing:
    I started when I was 13 (I'm now approaching 26) and did the usual Oasis, Beatles, indie etc. thing that everyone did at the time. I started playing bands when I was 15 and continued to do so for 6 years. My playing improved a bit when in bands as I pushed myself to learn covers etc. Since I stopped playing in bands a few years ago (due to a variety of personal reasons) my playing has completely slowed and this is a brief snapshot of where I am now:
    I know a little bit of lead guitar, mostly pentatonic stuff
    I know lots of little bits of songs and solos but not complete
    I have studied some classical but that was nearly 10 years ago
    I used to play a lot of chords cover songs but have now almost stopped
    I find it exceptionally difficult to learn new material be it chords, scales, solo, technique etc. I find it very hard to focus and discipline myself.

Where I'd like to be:
    Increase my musical knowledge
    Able to play solos, covers and improvise
    Able to play by ear
    Tackle a new variety of techniques like jazz, blues, classical etc.

What I'd like is any advice, tips, direction on where to go? I'm finding it very hard to pull myself out of this slump and every time I pick up a guitar I am playing the exact same stuff which is frustrating me immensely.
    I was thinking of going down the formal route and getting classically trained so I get a structure to learn by and huge musical knowledge. However I am afraid that something so formal might take the fun out of something I love so much.
    All help much appreciated and thanks for reading this very long rant!!

Hey there,

I teach alot of people like yourself and I agree that when you're in the wrong frame of mind it's very difficult to get out of it and have a disciplined approach to learning. First of all I think it's important to start with finding a tune you really love that's not too difficult but will hold your attention for a long time and start to work on that and nothing else until it's complete. Get the tabs if you can, if you need to slow the tune down get this program which is very helpful.
    As someone already said, lessons will probably help, but, you'll still need to have the same focus. Another good thing is buying a magazine like Guitar Techniques, it's great that they supply backing tracks, so if you come across a copy that has a tune you like that's a good place to start too.

Apart from that it's down to yourself, you need to find the reason you were interested in guitar at the start, so go back to listening to tunes you liked years ago and hopefully that will bring some of the enthusiasm you had then back now!

Hope this is a help!

Fusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I think one of the best things you can do is join a band. A covers band will definitely get you learning songs and guitar parts and styles that you never thought about. Another huge part of playing guitar is being able to perform it and get your point across when you play it. For me its been one of the best things I've ever done and this year I've probably learned at least 100 different songs covering a whole lot of different styles.
    Having to learn and disect songs and solos gets you thinking in a more logical way and eventually you'll start figuring out which notes sound good over each chord. It'll free up your soloing and having to perform the songs perfectly every time really hones your timing and skills.

Advertisement