Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahler symphonies

Options
  • 02-11-2008 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

After years of not really liking Mahler, I've really warmed to his 2nd Symphony. Just wondering which one you folks would recommend I pick up next?

I'd also welcome recommendations of other works from the same era, specifically more symphonies. I've also checked out Vaughan Williams' Sinfonia Antartica which I really enjoyed. Maybe some Sibelius?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Personally I love his 8th Symphony. I don't even know what it is about that I like so much, I just really enjoy listening to it, and I got to sing it 2 years ago, which was pretty good.

[shameless plug] BTW if you like Mahler's 2nd it's being performed in the NCH on 22nd May by the NSO and the RTE Philharmonic Choir[/shameless plug]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Any Sibelius is great, though if you're into your high romantic stuff, Kullervo may be the best place to start. If you like your music a bit more light in texture, any of the symphonies. The fifth is the most famous, but I also like the sixth.

Mahler's 8th symphony was probably his most popular in his own time, but if you want something a bit less gargantuan I'd recommend the 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Cool, thanks. I'd love to check the NSO Mahler concery, I'll keep an eye on news about it. I've heard the 8th although it didn't really appeal to me as much as the 2nd.

I'm not really in the mood for pure romantic stuff, I'm in the mood for symphonies for some reason :pac: I'll check out some Sibelius, thanks for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I'd push Mahler 5, it's amazing start to finish, and the Adagietto (which is pretty famous, you might recognise it) is just exquisite

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Don't know about Mahler myself. Have heard the 2nd symphony and some of it is decent. I'm more inclined to agree with what Horowitz had to say about Mahler's symphonies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Doshea3 wrote: »
    Don't know about Mahler myself. Have heard the 2nd symphony and some of it is decent. I'm more inclined to agree with what Horowitz had to say about Mahler's symphonies...

If it's anything other than that they're the finest example of the symphony in the nineteenth century (except, obviously, Beethoven's late ones), then I probably don't want to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

You don't then. :)

Advertisement