Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazilian Gp and end of the Season Thread

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

amacachi wrote: »
    It was Ted Kravitz.

My bad :o I got them mixed up again. I don't know what he was trying to prove doing that, reckless.

Finally, will all the Hamilton-hate brigade find another forum to use and leave Boards for the genuine F1 fan. Criticism is one thing, but out-and-out hatred of someone because they are either cocky, fast-tracked to success, British, black or whatever reason is wrong.

I presume people come here because they watch/like formula one, if everyone just agrees with one another what's the point. I would think it was more the hamilton fans bring the forum down with there blinkered look at the rules and conspiracy theories (though I do wish there was one now, like they found Lewis's car was too light or something, that would be hilarious).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the person who gets the most points win the championship simple wins don't matter (until a draw ) so good on lewis sorry for massa here's hopefully to great 2009 - vettel kubica alonso hopefully honda get there act together and of course the rest. can't wait for the first race of 2009

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

FrostyJack wrote: »
    My bad :o I got them mixed up again. I don't know what he was trying to prove doing that, reckless.
    He seemed to be proving that it was all in good humour, well at least the guys at the front of the fence didn't seem to be taking it seriously and would have had to be pretty dumb to not realise that he was with British after hearing him do his speil to camera and having ITV plastered all over his overalls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Disappointed for Massa and he was very gracious in defeat but all credit to Hamilton, he's proved his worth in the "two" seasons he's been involved in F1 and has broken plenty of records the most important being youngest ever Champion.

Absolutely fantastic race and great for the sport. It was also very interesting to see the press conference at the end with the Winner (definite future champion) 2nd place (last years Champion) and 3rd place (Champion the two previous years). This year's Champion wasn't even on the podium. It's a far cry from the Schumacher years. And there's plenty of talent coming up through the ranks too. Competition is back!

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    McLaren almost cost hamilton the championship with a way too cautious approach to the gp. Fare play to him he deserves it but he should have been fighting for 3rd.
    Ron Dennis said that they couldn't compete with the speed of the Ferarris and Renaults and were fighting for 4th & 5th and just wanted to stay out of trouble. A lot of times F1 is playing the percentages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Had they run with any kind of aggression speed-wise Hamilton would've been in a comfortable 4th though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

robinph wrote: »
    He seemed to be proving that it was all in good humour, well at least the guys at the front of the fence didn't seem to be taking it seriously and would have had to be pretty dumb to not realise that he was with British after hearing him do his speil to camera and having ITV plastered all over his overalls.

I'd still have smacked the twat with anything I could get my hands on. I'm just glad I don't have to watch another race on ITV.

Less ads and hopefully less Hamilton c*** sucking.

amacachi wrote: »
    Had they run with any kind of aggression speed-wise Hamilton would've been in a comfortable 4th though.
    Could've more like. Their strategy proved to work in the end.

brim4brim wrote: »
    I'd still have smacked the twat with anything I could get my hands on. I'm just glad I don't have to watch another race on ITV.

Less ads and hopefully less Hamilton c*** sucking.
    What happened? I was watching it on Setanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Could've more like. Their strategy proved to work in the end.

Yeah, I was being a little too definite in what I said. Just judging by Kovalainen's pace Hamilton seemed to be takin it just a little easier than he needed to. It worked out in the end for them though. Just about. Damn. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Just watching the highlights on ITV now
    Without doubt 1 of the most exciting ends for any championship/cups/league etc. It is a cliche but you honestly couldn't have written a better script (Good job Bernie) I loved the shots of each pitlane as it was happening and then after it with the celebrations on the podium but the real celebrations below it.
    It was such an fantastic contrast and sporting duel

I think this will turn out to be Massas best chance for winning it all so pity for him. Hamilton will probably win a few more although I can't wait to see him vs Alonso, now that's a duel!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Once again Vettel showed Hamilton how to really drive in the rain! But he won't be liked, cause he has Modesty!
    Fantasticly exciting end to a good season. Felt sorry for Massa. Hamilton probably deserved the championship last year, but I think Massa deserved it this year. Still, Hamilton is a worthy champion and fair play to him. [/gritted teeth] :D
    Roll on next season for more of the same!!
    Honda would really want to make a transformation - they're so terrible this year. Toyota sometimes show promise, then don't. Hard to know where they'll be at. Slicks next year is good, should be excellent!
    F1 is exciting again, no matter what anyone says! Like the outcome or not, it was a very interesting season.
    What's the bets Massa is kicking the absolute sh!t out of one of those electronic lolli-pops now? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

yayamark wrote: »
    Does anyone think that it was stupid that Hamilton hasnt been presented with the F1 championship trophy on the stage?

Cos all the people in F1 want a boozy night out in Monaco in December instead.

What happened? I was watching it on Setanta.

He stood infront of the crowd (which were 99.9% Massa fans) and whipped out a Union Jack and showed it to them, there was a chorus of boo's and a few cups of beers. Could of/should of been worse. It wasn't as bad as Rooney kissing his crest but quite stupid all the same.

Did anyone else hear James Allen saying pound-for-pound Alonso is the best at the end of the commentary? If he believes it why was he saying Hamilton was ALL season?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Did anyone else hear James Allen saying pound-for-pound Alonso is the best at the end of the commentary? If he believes it why was he saying Hamilton was ALL season?

Because he's a tool. Can't wait to have (hopefully) decent commentators on BBC next season.

He stood infront of the crowd (which were 99.9% Massa fans) and whipped out a Union Jack and showed it to them, there was a chorus of boo's and a few cups of beers. Could of/should of been worse. It wasn't as bad as Rooney kissing his crest but quite stupid all the same.

Did he mean pound for pound as in money? Is Hamilton making more than Alonso? That might be an explanation. Either way, Allen is a tool.

I took it that he meant it in equal cars as the phrase is normally used, but then again who knows with him he talks so much bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I was totally gutted for DC. Such a shame for a 15 year career to finish on the first lap.

Really wanted Massa to win the championship. Ok, I'm not a huge fan of Hamilton, but I am willing to admit that a lot of it is based on the (biased/twisted) coverage he gets in the tabloids and the constant a**licking on ITV. In a way I wanted Massa to win it, because I honestly doubt he'll get another chance. I'm sure Hamilton will have more championships in his future, so I thought it would be good for the little Brazilian to lift it this season. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong in time (in relation to Massa's future chances) I guess time will tell.

Took me a while to calm down from it all after Glock's final lap and seeing Hamilton fly past him to clinch it.

One thing I definitely won't miss is the ITV coverage. It really was like watching 3 hours of adverts, occasionally interrupted by some car racing. What was it, not even 1 full lap completed before their first break in the live race coverage? Nuts. Thanks for the memories, but won't miss you all that much. To their credit though, the music piece in the pre-show was brilliant. Nice to see the drivers/team members letting their hair down for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I think Hamiliton caused all the booing by stating that if he wins the championship he will be dedicating it to sennas memory. Yes well done Lewis dedicate the winning the F1 championship to Brazils most famous son, by beating a Brazilian at the Brazilian GP.

It would be the equivalent of the England football team beating Ireland in the World cup final at Croke Park and dedicating the win to Michael Collins:)

Is there a link for "he will be dedicating it to sennas memory" :confused: The only quotes I found were below from various sources.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/nov/01/formulaone-lewis-hamilton

Your analogy is pretty weak. Hamilton is a young racing driver talking about Senna an icon of the sport. The English football team would be dedicating their win to Michael Collins, why :confused:

Top Dog wrote: »

One thing I definitely won't miss is the ITV coverage. It really was like watching 3 hours of adverts, occasionally interrupted by some car racing. What was it, not even 1 full lap completed before their first break in the live race coverage? Nuts. Thanks for the memories, but won't miss you all that much. To their credit though, the music piece in the pre-show was brilliant. Nice to see the drivers/team members letting their hair down for a change.

To be fair, there was a safety car out which is when you want them to be going to ads, get them out of the way as quick as you can. Not a bad thing
    But yeah bring on BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I think Hamiliton caused all the booing by stating that if he wins the championship he will be dedicating it to sennas memory. Yes well done Lewis dedicate the winning the F1 championship to Brazils most famous son, by beating a Brazilian at the Brazilian GP.
    I am in no way shape or form a Lewis Hamilton fan but I don't think his comments caused the booing at all. If you read his comments he just talks about somebody who he was clearly influenced by during his career, even if it was a dubious time to bring the matter up. The booing was more or less the result of the British media arriving in town and taking away from the fact that their countryman was gunning for the title and completely overshadowed by the specter of Hamilton that has been created by them. Tim Kravitz's stupid stunt didn't exactly help either.
    I am in no way being anti-British but I think it's safe to say that one of the reasons people begrudge Hamilton is because "we'll never hear the end of it if he wins". It's not his fault that people put him on such a pedestal, it is the fault of the media who put him there, as they have done with such figures as Damon Hill, Jenson Button and Tim Henman(Tim Henman and Jenson Button being ****e, whereas Damon actually delivered once) before him. The only difference is the fact that Hamilton wether we like it or not is a good driver, with a lot to learn but also a lot of potential. Headlines and interviews like this
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7692480.stm for example do may cause people to dislike him because the British media never shut up about him, but that does not take away from the fact that in the 2 seasons he has been in formula 1 he has brought the championship down to the last race twice and won it once. This is not something that comes without some form of talent. Coulthard in his 14 years raced with Williams and McLaren when they were major Championship contenders and didn't manage anything in the way that Hamilton has managed in the last 2 years. People say that he is cocky and arrogant, these also being terms that have been attributed to drivers such as Schumacher, Prost, Senna and Alonso, the list is endless.
    At the end of the day you don't win a championship without being good, Hamilton whether we like it or not is very good at what he does. He is not at fault for what the media have turned him into in may f1 fans eyes. I would have loved to have seen Massa win the championship on home soil but it didn't turn out that way. There's always next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

cooker3 wrote: »
    To be fair, there was a safety car out which is when you want them to be going to ads, get them out of the way as quick as you can. Not a bad thing
    But yeah bring on BBC
    Ok, I can see your point about getting the break out of the way so as not to interfere later on in the race. But it would have been nice for them to at least show us that DC was ok and what happened to Piquet without having to wait the extra 5 mins due to their revenue generation, and then treating us to brief replays of the incidents. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

i believe Hamilton deserved the championship, he is the best thing to happen in F1 for years

You mean until Vettel? One of the two is a very young likeable chap who is giving every evidence of being a fantastic driver. The other is a very talented driver who is very polarising and who happens to have a very fast car. In the life-or-death struggle before they caught Glock, who had the measure of whom in the second-rate car?

I'll give Vettel a serious shot at the title in 2010.

I'd have preferred Massa to win, he was let down by his team over the season more than Hamilton was let down by his team. However, the teams are an important part of it, so if Lewis scored more points, he scored more points. So be it. Roll on 2009. Shame I won't be able to watch most of it. Not sure FIA has a feed in Afghanistan.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Immediately after the victory when ITV tried to get a quick interview with Lewis Hamilton he wouldn't talk with his father saying back off we are going for a drink of water. The man had just won the F1 title and all he could do was think of managing his media image, where was the heat of the moment jubilation, the ecstasy!

That moment confirmed for me beyond doubt that Lewis Hamilton and his father are the current greatest **** at the top of world sport period. And I for one will do my up most never to buy anything endorsed by them.

Michael Schumacher was never that bad, there is a reason why Hamilton is universally despised by all his fellow drivers he has zero personality, and this win at all costs attitude, bread into him from a driver father at an early age.

We will see what the future holds but such character weaknesses will be exposed as he gets older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hahahahahahahah........... oh the bitterness in that post!

All the best bud

Not bitterness but sometimes I like to see the nice guy win, remember Massa's father made similar commitments for his son however that guy does seem to have a bit of graciousness, personality & passion… unlike Hamilton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Did anyone see the medical tubing around Massa's dads neck? Did some Googling and it may be related to being in hospital this week getting kidney stones removed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Immediately after the victory when ITV tried to get a quick interview with Lewis Hamilton he wouldn't talk with his father saying back off we are going for a drink of water. The man had just won the F1 title and all he could do was think of managing his media image, where was the heat of the moment jubilation, the ecstasy!

Did you actually see what was going on at that moment. There was a scrum of meeja around grabbing him, the ITV guy was getting thrown out of the way by another TV crew and was then shouting at the other crews to just calm down a bit. Hamiltons dad then just decided it was getting a bit daft and said basically feck off and calm down a bit to the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I was gutted for Massa, he drove a great race under huge pressure.
    I thought it was an amazing end to a very exciting season.
    Overall I feel Ferrari cost Massa the title and it was lost well before yesterday.
    The old team of Brawn and Todt was sorely missed all season as huge gambles were taken on Tyre choices and strategy.
    I think Vettel looks a great driver and a future champion in the making.
    Fair play to Hamilton, I don't like anything about the guy, not sure if ITV have turned me off him or whether its just his attitude (or the fact that he is getting Jiggy with one of the pussycat dolls.)
    Raikonnen was a huge disappointment this season and really struggled with the Ferrari.
    Alonso was great in the second half of the season, looking forward to some battles next season with Hamilton, Massa and co...
    Heres hoping BBC can deliver the goods..

I saw the scrum it was no worse than the normal media frenzy in these moments.

And he had them all calmed down and stationery when he told them to get lost. The hard work of calming the scrum was done. Look again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Hoping for Hamilton v Alonso in a rejuvenated Renault for the title next year. A clash of personalities as well as a clash of drivers. This time in different teams so they can slag the hell out of each other publicly throughout the season.

Bernie, get to work on this please! :D

robinph wrote: »
    Did you actually see what was going on at that moment. There was a scrum of meeja around grabbing him, the ITV guy was getting thrown out of the way by another TV crew and was then shouting at the other crews to just calm down a bit. Hamiltons dad then just decided it was getting a bit daft and said basically feck off and calm down a bit to the media.

Yeah if anything after the race has been the first time Hamilton has actually come across as human IMO.

The rest of the time, he comes across as a complete politician which is why I didn't want him to win the title.

I didn't want Massa to win it after he spun 5 times at the British GP in a fooking Ferrari!

I don't think Massa deserved to be world champion but overall I was shouting for him becaues of ITV's crap media bias toward the guy especially from James Allen.

I would have preferred to see Kubica win the title TBH. Great finish to the season no matter who you wanted to win though.

I didn't want Massa to win it after he spun 5 times at the British GP in a fooking Ferrari

One race is hardly a reason to not want him to win. The Ferrari was muck in the wet all season, Schumacher kind of explains this in his interview. Massa was always quick in the wet in previous seasons, I doubt he lost that ability over night. In Monaco in the wet, himself and Kubica were 30 seconds ahead of the pack at one stage, the safety car brought the field back up giving Hamilton the win. If someone didn't deserve the title due to mistakes it was Hamilton, but at the end of the day he got the most points, end of.

Next year I think (hope) it will be a different story. It should be a great season.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Hoping for Hamilton v Alonso in a rejuvenated Renault for the title next year. A clash of personalities as well as a clash of drivers. This time in different teams so they can slag the hell out of each other publicly throughout the season.

Bernie, get to work on this please! :D

Agreed. If Alonso was in the Ferrari he would have walked away with the title imo

One race is hardly a reason to not want him to win.
    Exactly... and how convienent it is to forget Heikki pissing all over Hamilton back in Monza in the same car. "oh, I had brake problems". "Heikki, did you have the same brake problems as Lewis?" "For sure - it was very difficult to drive". Made a much better job of it somehow! The same race that Vettel pissed all over the lot of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

firstly there are so many threads it's hard to know which one to post in.
    when god (schmacker) retired i also semi-retired from watching F1. i'm an out and out schuey fan and to me his retirement to me meant the end of F1. i personally dont like hamilton but then again i'm a ferrari fan. but i have to admit the brazilian race was probably if not the the greatest race in F1 history. there will be many conspiracy therories regarding glock for the rest of F1's future. did he or didn't he. i personally believe he did ( slow down deliberately).
    is hamilton the next schuey i dont think so. he lost the drivers championship in his first season on the last race big deal, he set a record in only his second season as a F1 driver. theres another thread about ham and peoples dislikes towards him ,what i failed to see mentioned in that thread was the way alonso was treated by both Mclaren and ham basically forcing alonso out.
    as far as i'm concerned alonso was the No.1 driver and ham acted like a spoilt brat.
    there are two people i feel sorry for massa of course and D.C. on his final race who didn't complete one lap. it would've been nice to see him do donuts at the end.
    now the season is over are the top teams keeping the same drivers?
    and are there any big names gone besides D.C. ,while he was an entertaining driver i doubt if he will be missed.

• Advertisement

firstly there are so many threads it's hard to know which one to post in.
    when god (schmacker) retired i also semi-retired from watching F1. i'm an out and out schuey fan and to me his retirement to me meant the end of F1.
    Really? I'd say Schumacher's dominance drove (no pun intended) more people away from the sport more than anything else.

Also, funny how you can't spell your hero's name! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Really? I'd say Schumacher's dominance drove (no pun intended) more people away from the sport more than anything else.
    I agree. It was like watching a robot, both when driving and in the post race interviews. All that PC "we" and "the team" stuff, and that damn irritating "for sure" (a literal translation of the German word "sicher", I'm sure) every 5 seconds, that all the other drivers annoyingly now seem to have adopted. Even when he won his WDC titles, he just looked wooden, despite trying to feign some emotion. At least Hamilton, and some of the new drivers appear to have actual personalities and are prey to normal human emotions and aren't afraid to beat their own drum now and again instead of thanking "the team" for all their successes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Aye, it got awful awful boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Alun wrote: »
    I agree. It was like watching a robot, both when driving and in the post race interviews. All that PC "we" and "the team" stuff, and that damn irritating "for sure" (a literal translation of the German word "sicher", I'm sure) every 5 seconds, that all the other drivers annoyingly now seem to have adopted. Even when he won his WDC titles, he just looked wooden, despite trying to feign some emotion. At least Hamilton, and some of the new drivers appear to have actual personalities and are prey to normal human emotions and aren't afraid to beat their own drum now and again instead of thanking "the team" for all their successes.

Yeah right http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=WnpS-9Er16Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Still looks artificial and put on to me.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Still looks artificial and put on to me.
    Ah now come on. I know Schumacher has the emotional capacity of a wet fish but that was genuine.

Ah now come on. I know Schumacher has the emotional capacity of a wet fish but that was genuine.

Agreed, never like Schumacher because he always seemed like a politician but there was no way he was faking that FFS!

Advertisement