Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Metal/Rock Fans In Sligo

Options
  • 02-11-2008 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am very curious to find out if I am not alone (I hope) in my love for Heavy Metal/Rock music here in Sligo. Most of my gig mates are over in the UK. Am now a full time student here in Sligo IT. I hope there are many more of us right here. If there are then are you going to any gigs between now and the end of the year? You can never have enough gig buddies and I was hoping to get something started.

What kind of music are you into? I find it very annoying that there are no proper Metal bars here in Sligo. There should be (hopefully of there are enough fans).

Thanking you in advance.

Den

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Were you at whiplash last weekend/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

No, unfortunately. I was working to a deadline. Were you there yourself? How was it?

We will have to make The Leitrim our official meeting point. Or somewhere else in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I love rock and metal music....but I'm too old for gigs now:(
    I have to make do with my cds' instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

As far as I know Mcgarrigals is the only pub in town that would even entertain the idea of heavy metal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

You're not alone!!!! But I haven't been to a gig in aaaaaaaaaaages. Are there any good gigs coming up? *drags Magnumlady out of her self-impossed retirement* I want musics!

• Advertisement

methinks we are on to something. :)

Big gig in Cork not too far away. In fact I put a thread together for it. Looks awesome, Amon Amarth are headlining. Let me find it now. Link below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055396320

What kinda stuff are you into? Raging I missed the Whiplash at The Leitrim Bar last week. Not from Sligo originally. Must suss it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Fozzle I am way too old. It'd be like Bruce Forsyth dancing with the Chippendales...sad:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Good lord DenMan, I don't know a single one of the bands on that line-up, I am sadly out of the loop. :o Into lots of stuff, from Dream Theatre to REM, AC/DC to Divine Comedy, Chemical Brothers to Wayne O'Connor - bits of everything!

And Magnumlady, that sounds purely awesome :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Sligo used to have a great metal/rock/indie scene a few years back. McGarrigles, Hennigan's, The Weir (now O'Neill's Celtic Bar:eek:) and the Journeyman (now McHughs) used to have regular metal/rock gigs at weekends and there was a big turnout. Even the Blue Lagoon used to have good bands from time to time. The Journeyman had a great set up downstairs with a proper stage and seperate bar from the rest of the pub.
    There's still alot of guys nearing middle age who were massive fans of AC/DC, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Alice in Chains, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden etc. Seems that all the places that gigs took place lost interest or decided to go for the chart/dance crowd. Loads of fans still out there, but the town doesn't want their business and anyway, the town just isn't much fun any more. It's dry (attitude wise). McGarrigles is still there, but it's only a shadow of the place it was ten years ago. Used to have several gigs a week upstairs, windows open, smoke and noise pouring down the street, no cider on tap upstairs, ears bleeding from the bass. Good times:D Anyone remember that German guy who used to dress like a pirate and smoked a pipe? He was always upstairs. And the guy who looked just like Mickey Dolenz from the Monkees?

Bloody hell. What the fu*k happened? Metal was huge here. Kilkenny is now the King of Metal outside of Dublin. I can't understand what happened here. That's awful.

You been to any gigs recently il gatto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Nope. Haven't been at a gig since 2003. It was Witness (pre Oxygen). Saw the Datsuns, Supergrass and the Manics. Just never feel like making the effort when they roll around anymore. Would've went to AC/DC but they sold out a day before I heard about it:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

il gatto wrote: »
    The Weir (now O'Neill's Celtic Bar:eek:)

Now that is a blast from the past!

Is that the student bar beside the Leitrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I was one of the few metalheads in IT Sligo from 1998 to 2002, and there were some good times back then. Anyone remember the Xenon gigs? And Thursday nights in the Clarence were big metalhead nights! McGarrigles always had a metal crowd also.

For those wondering about gigs, there are some amazing bands coming up: Kamelot are playing Dublin in March and Judas Priest/Megadeth/Testament are in February :D

Rock on!

Thanks man, Kamelot is gonna be fuc*ing brill. You up for it?

DenMan wrote: »
    No, unfortunately. I was working to a deadline. Were you there yourself? How was it?

We will have to make The Leitrim our official meeting point. Or somewhere else in town.

I wasn't able to make it up, but some friends of mine went. Seeing that all of us were at the Kings of Rock in Dalymount in'83 the Slipknot tribute on Saturday night would not have the ideal headliner. However they all had a throughly good time.

I spoke to the organisers in McGarrigles during the week and they were pretty pleased, though the crowd on Sunday was disappointing.

McGarrigles is the local meeting place for Rock fans. I would say that there is scope to run a Rock Night in the room upstairs if anyone is interested in promoting or DJing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Would love if there was a rock night somewhere every so often! Is there anywhere that has bands on durin the week?
    From Ballina but in college out in St Angelas ( :( ) Even in Ballina theres a place to go see decent enough bands .. havent heard of anythin in Sligo! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Ah the memories.
    Xenon who reformed as a new band (can't remember the name) with some old and new members
    Fiction
    Petronella
    Trial By Fire
    The Mulligan brothers

Between 98 - 00 rock and metal was very strong in Sligo.

There will be an punk/ metal event celebrating the life of well known local fan robert boyton on the 28th in the leitrim the whiplash people are running it bands to follow

That sounds great redarmyblues. Thanks for that.

Den

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

You should definately check this out, I think there are 3 bands playing, excuses, the lobotomies and a metal band I didn't know.

Excuses and lobotomies are punk and amazing I know it might not be your thing but it's a gig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Ah the memories.
    Xenon who reformed as a new band (can't remember the name) with some old and new members
    Fiction
    Petronella
    Trial By Fire
    The Mulligan brothers

Between 98 - 00 rock and metal was very strong in Sligo.

Thats very true, what has happened to the Sligo rock scene since 2000?

McGarrigles and Journeyman had some great bands back then and remember seeing Petronella playing in the Garavouge to a jam packed full house around the same time too, some great nights!

Was in McGarrigles on Thurs night. There was a very good atmosphere. A lot of people didn't really come in until around half 11. Good music on. Was going great 'till a drunken git came in and demanded more alcohol. Even went right into the bar area to get it himself. Idiot had to be removed.

Advertisement