Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Music Setup - Amp speaker cd recommedations?

• 02-11-2008 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a amp-cd player-speaker music setup. Was previously going to buy an all in one hi-fi from the likes of Sony etc but I've read that going down the separates route can offer much better sound quality. Total budget approx 800, also open to buying second hand.

I haven't really got a clue about this sort of stuff so advice is welcomed. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Firstly buy on richersounds.ie Great value and they have a shop in belfast.

The cambridge azur series are about the best budget amps around.
    the 340a £199 or the 540a £279 are both great amps. It is worth spending the extra for the extra on the 540a, neither has a phono stage so you will to buy one seperate (£60 to £70) if you want to play vinyl.

If your room is small bookshelf speakers are required. Most advise floorstanders in a larger room. Monitor Audio make the best regarded bookhelf budget speakers. The Bronze reference 2 (€199) are a brilliant brilliant speaker and a look beautiful. You can spend a little more on the Monitor RS1's though some would say that the extra cost is not reflected in perfomance.

Add an Azur 340c cd player (£169) some proper biwireable speaker cable (£20 to £30) and you have the best budget set up money can buy. Delivery is free for Boards members. £600 could be enough here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

As an alternative to buying new budget material, if you're feeling adventurous you could go down the second hand route. Check adverts.ie or e-bay. If you buy a copy of What Hi-Fi they have a large backlog of reviews at the back of the magazine which will give you a good idea of what to look out for.

I've just put together a second hand system myself consisting of:

Primare DVD26, Primare I20 amplifier and Avi Neutron IV speakers for a total of €750 including post. Original cost for these would have been at least €2,750 I reckon. You are of course taking a risk on the quality of what you're getting so if buying in Ireland try and collect and if buying from the UK go for someone with good feedback. With sterling so weak at the moment as well, it's a great time to buy from the UK.

Advertisement