Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diary of a middle-age runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Nice work Ger. Did you even need to take today off? What I mean is, did you take it off because you're wrecked? I like the recovery/slow miles instead of nothing. 20 in a row is good going.
    I could have went out. I had an easy 30mins planned but its too bloody cold so it seemed pointless getting ready and facing the weather for what seemed like junk miles. I don't really buy into the idea of recovery runs, a good walk is better imo, you still get the blood flowing without the stress.

Mon 21st Dec
    6.9 mls in 57:27mins
    Started too fast with sub 8 min mls and suffered uphill and against the freezing wind on the way back.
    So bloody cold.:(

Tues 22nd Dec
    7.5 mls in 64mins
    Avoided the icy paths by doing laps in the woods in bushy. Pints last night made this run very tough, completely dehydrated today along with little sleep.
    I hate the cold. Forecast for milder weather after christmas day:)

Wed 23th Dec
    4.22mls in 38mins
    An enjoyable jog at 9min/ml pace.

Thurs 24th Dec
    8.11 in 67:58.
    Up to Tymon pk, one lap, back home, pace 8:22. Still very cold today. the paths are still dicey, have to be careful cornering and breaking.

Christmas Morning
    9mls in 74mins.
    Stayed away from the beer last night so I'd be fit for this and I'm glad I did. Turned out a beautiful morning for running. It was -4C leaving the house but with no breeze it felt ok. Headed up to Marlay then across Knocklyon. Had to be cautious with the ice in places. Was surprised at the 8:12min/ml pace - at bit too fast for the plan at the moment, will ease off for tomorrow.

St Stephen's Day
    5 very easy miles.
    Took today off as I've already done over 40miles this week.

• Advertisement

Mon 28th Dec
    10.14 in 85:19.
    A cold, icy Tymon and Bushy parks this morning.

Tues 29th Dec
    5 mls in 43mins.
    Wet, windy and cold in Bushy park.

Weather today too bad. I'll make it up later in the week.

New Years Eve.
    9.9mls in 82:42.
    All seasons in one run, pleasant sunshine then hail/sleet showers. Tweaked my calf towards the end of this run and its a bit sore to walk on at the moment, hope this isn't going to be another problem. Sums up 2009 really, illness and injury seem the follow me all year. Any positives? well 2009 saw Boards AC in the Dublin Novices for the first time- good occasion - not my best run, ditto the race series in the park and the DCM. One highlight was a BHAA mile race in Irishtown which was my best run of the year. Total Milage for 2009 - 973.
    Looking forward to 2010 - train smarter and be more patient.

Tues 5th Jan
    4mls very easy.
    After spraining my calf on new years eve I took a few days off to be safe and the thought of chancing the calf on icy paths did not appeal. Just did a few laps on grass in bushy today. Was fine on the grass but walking over and back was very dodgy, paths seem to be alot worse today. The calf seems fine but I'll take it easy for a few days.

Wed 6th Jan
    5.2mls very slow.
    Got out just after the snow stopped and ran laps of the wood in bushy. Underfoot was find as the snow was still fresh and the paths in the wood don't freeze. Took it very easy as I was completely overdressed and I'm still not 100% about the calf. Good to get a run today, not too sure about tomorrow if it freezes tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

gerard65 wrote: »
    Wed 6th Jan
    5.2mls very slow.
    Got out just after the snow stopped and ran laps of the wood in bushy. Underfoot was find as the snow was still fresh and the paths in the wood don't freeze. Took it very easy as I was completely overdressed and I'm still not 100% about the calf. Good to get a run today, not too sure about tomorrow if it freezes tonight.

Me sig likey much :)

• Advertisement

Thurs 7th Jan
    5.3 miles.
    A few snowy laps of bushy this afternoon. No problems underfoot. Began to get foggy towards the end and you could really feel a drop in temp.

Sat 9th Jan
    5.4 miles.
    Took yesterday off. Todays run was very slow. Difficult to get going in the soft snow, but a nice afternoon out there.

Mon 11th Jan
    6.3 miles in 53mins
    Thaw had began to freeze and the paths were very difficult in places.

Wed 13th Jan
    6.8 miles in 55mins Avg 8min/ml.
    Steady run with a quickish third mile to introduce some pace.
    Moved my rest day this week to yesterday due to lousy weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

You coming to the BHAA race this weekend?

stmochtas wrote: »
    You coming to the BHAA race this weekend?
    Yep. Not expecting too much but I just want to get back racing.

c u there so.

Thurs 14th Jan
    5.8mls @ 8min/ml.
    One lap of Marley and back home. Some paths were still icy. Managed a couple of sub 7:30 min/mls.

Fri 15th Jan
    5 very easy miles.
    Over to Bushy this afternoon. Weather has changed big time, fairly mild out there. Kept the pace very easy - race tomorrow morning.

Sat 16th Jan
    BHAA 4mile xc Tymon Park.
    Time 30:40.
    Ran this as a training session. For the last two months my training has been base building so this was a tempo type session. Time was 3mins slower than last year over a very muddy course. Was happy with this run as I felt strong (but slow) throughout the race.
    I want to continue base training for another few weeks and I'll use the xc races as tempo type training sessions - also breaks up the boredom of the distance work.

Sun 17th Jan
    4 easy miles.
    Recovery run after yesterday. Legs were stiff this morning. Hopefully this helps. Milage this week was 32. Need to get this up for a few weeks.
    MTD - 52.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Time was 3mins slower than last year over a very muddy course. Was happy with this run as I felt strong (but slow) throughout the race.

I wouldn't worry too much about the time. All the times this year seemed to be slower than last years. Cross country can be like that. You felt strong was that's a great sign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Good to see you back after the injury ger, what are your goals now?

Thanks guys. Legs are still sore today so I'm taking it off. I find the recovery period is becoming longer - age:( but thats life.
    My goal this year is track. When I ran years ago I was always stronger over 800, 1500 and 3000m. I was never a long distance runner so I'm going to see if I can re-live my youth:). So for the next couple of months the story will be base building and use the XC races as tempo work and then have a go at the graded meetings and the BHAA track races.

Seen a good photo of you on racepix looking nice and comfortable.

BHAA 5mile XC Cherryfield Pk
    5.1 miles in 35:55. Avg 7min/ml.
    Had done nothing for the past week except booze and smoke so I did'nt expect much today. Race went OK, a nice firm and fairly flat course. Died on the last mile badly but an Avg pace of 7min/ml will do.
    I need to pull myself together a get back on track with training. Always this time of year I hit a slump - too cold, too wet, too windy, no motivation for training, maybe I suffer from SAD, or maybe I need to HTFU. So no more messing, I'll take it easy tomorrow to recover from today and Monday see's the start of a new training program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

BHAA 5mile XC Cherryfield Pk
    5.1 miles in 35:55. Avg 7min/ml.
    Had done nothing for the past week except booze and smoke so I did'nt expect much today. Race went OK, a nice firm and fairly flat course. Died on the last mile badly but an Avg pace of 7min/ml will do.
    I need to pull myself together a get back on track with training. Always this time of year I hit a slump - too cold, too wet, too windy, no motivation for training, maybe I suffer from SAD, or maybe I need to HTFU. So no more messing, I'll take it easy tomorrow to recover from today and Monday see's the start of a new training program.

Would recommend trying to get training partner of similar level this can help motivate you whether to try train hard to beat them or just save face making a training session when it is planned and making it harder to ditch it

ecoli wrote: »
    Would recommend trying to get training partner of similar level this can help motivate you whether to try train hard to beat them or just save face making a training session when it is planned and making it harder to ditch it
    The problem with that is I'm getting bits and pieces of work atm, but I never know when they need me, sometimes its morning and other times its afternoon, and I only get a hours notice. Evenings are out atm as our water is been cut off from 7 every evening. So making plans is awkward. Maybe when things settle down I can start making proper plans.

Sat 6th Feb
    BHAA NCF 5 mile XC Swords. Time 34:46 for 4.9mls. Avg pace-7:06
    Nearly pulled out of this race earlier this week after having a couple of poor weeks training, but had a couple of good training sessions this week so decided to give it a go. Weather forecast was for a nice sunny morning so it pee'd rain instead. A flat, muddy course with a couple of arkward bits. Managed to keep the pace even and finished around the same as last year which I'm happy with. Second home on the team and we scored second in the team event. Achilles tendon began to get sore with a mile to go and I'm limping slightly, but I think its only a strain - I hope, as I want to start on a proper schedual next week.

Sat 27th Feb
    BHAA Garda 4mile XC Phoenix Park.
    4mile in just under 30mins.
    Had done very little training this month, a stone overweight and wearing a crappy pair of old trial shoes which I did'nt know I had until I found them in the back of the shed last week. There, got my excuses out first.
    I would have been happy with a sub 30min going into this so I'm happy enough. First couple of miles were'nt too bad but suffered over the last two. I found I could move easily on the flat but the hills killed me.
    The next race in my dairy is Maynooth on the 20th March. I'll have to source a lightweight trial shoe (if they exist) as my days of wearing spikes are over. Oh and maybe do some of this training stuff I hear people mention.

Sun 28th Feb
    4.6mls in 38mins.
    Really struggling in the cold. I was sweating by the end of this run but my skin still felt cold. I also find my breathing laboured in the cold air - don't know what thats about! And just watching the Eagle telling us that the cold will be around for next week again. Bloody hell we used to have a session called spring when the temps would get to double figures - where's that gone?
    Month end review is looking poor - 82mls in 18 outings. 2 poor races.
    I put on alot of weight this month, saw a photo of myself in yesterdays race, OMG IM SO FAT:eek:. Big double chin and all.
    March starts tomorrow so lets start fresh. I'll try get out every day and do something, even if its only a few slow miles. The sportsworld 5 was in my diary from the start of the year (on my birthday this year) but its now only just over 2 months away. Time is passing me by too quickly.

• Advertisement

Mon 1st Mar
    8mls in 70mins.
    Nice easy pace. Nice sunny afternoon. Enjoyed this.

Tues 2nd Mar.
    5mls fartlek. 1ml wu, 3ml with hills and surges between 100m and 400m. 1ml wd.
    Did this on grass and wore my new inov mudclaw's. A good substitute for spikes, slightly heavier but great grip and adquate support.

Advertisement