Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diary of a middle-age runner

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Looks like training is going well again. Have you any goal races?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Looks like training is going well again. Have you any goal races?
    I've gone back to the type of training that was successful for me about 18 months ago, 3 or 4 quality sessions a week done on fresh legs, so we'll see what results this brings. May is my big month for races - 1st RTE 5mile, 11th ESB 5K sandymount, 16th Sportsworld 5m, 22nd Intel 10K and I think theres a graded track meeting on the 5th, so May will be busy. April was meant to be only training but I'm doing a relay leg for BAC next Sunday in Raheny. But ye, I'm enjoying this type of training.

Wed 7th Apr
    7.23mls of 1ml easy, 1ml quick.
    Quick mls in 6:47, 6:36, 6:35. Could'nt find my pace on the first one but the next two were perfect.

Fri 9th Apr.
    6.55mls Tempo in 48:44.
    Mid KM's @ 4:15. Really happy with this run. Eased down on the last 2 miles to 7:35 min/ml and felt easy at this pace.

Very happy with this weeks training.

Sun 11th Apr
    National road relay - Raheny.
    Second leg - 1mile @ 5:50pace.
    I'm still shocked at how slow this was. I felt I was running flat out all the way and it felt very fast, look at my watch at the end and could'nt believe it was so slow. Although I hav'nt been doing any fast mile type training I'd expect to be able to run faster than this, after all I ran 5:42 shortly after coming back from injury last year. Maybe its time to accept my expections don't match my limitations. Time and age wait for no man and at 45 next month the body has alot of miles on the clock.
    I suppose I can now start using todays time to plan my training paces and races from now on (alot slower than I'd aspire to).
    Still, all said, I enjoyed today and look forward to my next race in a couple of weeks.

Tues 13th Mar
    5.09mls in 36:52
    Was suppost to do 8ml @ 7:30 pace so I was running to fast anyway but feeling OK until my Morton's Neuroma flared up. Really pissed off between Sundays run and now this. All I can do is ice the foot and hopefully it'll settle down in a couple of days but from past experience it can take up to a week:mad:

• Advertisement

Thurs 15th Apr
    3 x 1mile. 5.8mls total.
    First time doing these on tonights course so this session lays down a benchmark. The mile finishes with a 300m uphill - gut wrencher.
    Gave the foot a good ice treatment over the last 48hrs and it seems fine now.

Sat 17th Apr
    5.48mls in 40:54. Avg 7:28
    Brisk run, harder than expected.

Sun 18th Apr
    8.27mls in 64:31. Avg 7:48.
    After vegging on front of the tele all day I felt guilty not getting the best out of a beautful evening. So with no real plan I started off and the run took me up to Mount Venus. Turned out to be one of those great unplanned runs, reminded me why I run. The first half is all uphill, just over 8min/ml pace which felt good. Beginning to feel easy running at 8min miling for the first time in a long time.:)

Mon 19th Apr
    30mins easy.

Tues 20th Apr.
    10x1k @ sub 4min/k. 320m walk/jog rec.
    Wanted to get a 'big' session today due to racing next Sat. Felt strong in all of these and managed to go sub 3:50 on the last one. Now if only I could do these without needing a rest between each k.:)
    Total miles for this session - 10.6mls

Thurs 22nd Apr
    4.5mls easy.
    Race on Sat so I took it very easy this evening - 8:40 pace. Don't really know how to approach the 10k. I did'nt have this race on my plan but I think I need a race to see where I am. Might take the first half relaxed and see what happens.

Sat 24th Apr
    Race: BHAA K Club 10k. 42:31. Avg 6:51.
    Very pleased with this time. A really good race, flat course and great weather to go with it. Wasn't too sure about my form so I was a bit nervous of setting a quick pace but decided to give it a go. The first 5k I felt comfortable with miles of 6:44, 6:46, 6:41. I knew I was lacking endurance and it showed on the second half with miles of 7:01, 6:51 and 7:05. Feeling positive about how the first 3 miles felt good at that pace, I can now work on my endurance. Just 40secs of my PB and nearly a minute faster than my last 10k last September. Its also my fastest run this year.

• Advertisement

Sun 25th Apr
    5.3mls in 42:11
    A few nice miles in the rain. I was tempted to add a few more miles but decided to be sensible after racing yesterday. Another race next weekend so just one quality session next week.

You're seeing some really good results now Gerard. I assume there are no plans for any more marathons in the pipeline?

You're seeing some really good results now Gerard. I assume there are no plans for any more marathons in the pipeline?
    Deffo, 100%, pull out my toe nails with a pilers, NOT. Bloody marathons, the memory of the last one still remains. Bloody marathons.:mad:

Mon 26th Apr
    8.18mls in 69:24. Avg pace 8:29.

Tues 27th Apr.
    8.87mls in 73:40. Avg pace 8:19.
    Can' shift weight. Still weighing in at 13st. From what I've been reading, if I could lose 10lbs overnight I'd run a sub40min 10k tommorow on my current level of fitness. The only way I know to lose weight is to cut calories and increase milage. I don't have a bad diet (apart from now and again) so I'm going to start increasing my milage for a while and see if that works. The races I've planned for the next couple of months will do for speedwork.

Sat 1st May.
    BHAA RTE 5 Mile.
    5.03mls in 34:12. Avg pace 6:48.
    Considered not turning up for this after a few days of not feeling great. Tired and poor sleep. Looking back I think I did'nt give myself enough time to recover after last Saturdays 10k. So when I got up this morning I decided to run it at my dream half marathon pace of 7min/ml to see what it felt like. First 3 miles in 6:54, 6:55, 6:58. Feeling good I put the foot down for the last 2 miles - 6:42 and 6:32. This is a great way to run a race, not for a PB, but to feel good over the second half of a race instead of 'hanging on'. I'm looking at Hal's advanced half marathon program and I think I'll base my training on this over the next few months with a few modifications, maybe taking 2 days easy after 'hard workouts' when needed, but I'll stick to his basic design.
    I'll try go for 'negative splits' in my races for the next few as its much more fun, and less pain!.

Mon 3rd May
    3.6mls in 31:18.
    Rest yesterday. Bloody knee is acting up, so just as well an easy run was planned, hope the knee isn't going to become a problem.

You're flying at the moment Gerard. Looks like I won't be having you for company during the Adidas races this year unless I pull my socks up.

Thanks, but I'm a bit concerned about my knee, its actually sore when I stretch it out at the moment. I don't think its the ITB as the pain is lower. You've been plagued with a knee problem, hope its not spreading:(

Tues 4th May
    7.64mls in 66:40. Pace 8:44.
    Took it easy.Knee still sore.

Wed 5th May
    9.16mls in 74:11. Pace 8:06.
    Knee is getting sore after about 20mins. Lasts for about 15mins and then gets better as the run goes on. Just a niggle over the last few miles. Don't know if I should rest up for a few days and see if it clears or keep running on.

Thur 6th May
    3x1mile. 6:42, 6:36, 6:45.
    Total session 5.8mls in 43:23.
    Was a bit tired today, poor sleep last night so was happy how these went. The last 300m are uphill so the time doesn't mean to much. The recovery is about .8mls done at above easy pace. I was doing alot of stretching my ITB today and it seems to have worked as the knee wasn't too bad. Had my interview for a college course today and its looking good for September so if no job comes up between now and then I'll be studying architecture (maybe not a great career move at the moment but who knows what will happen in the next few years).

• Advertisement

Sat 8th May
    11.28mls in 94:52. Avg - 8:25.
    Never felt comfortable during this. Just one of those days. The knee was OK during the run but when I got home it seized up and was very painful. Not too bad now after alot of ITB stretching and icing.

Sun 9th May
    5.6mls in 48:52. Avg - 8:44.
    Took it very easy today. Knee very sore. I may have to take some time off after next Sundays race to get it sorted.
    I go into a new age group today.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Happy birthday gerard, hope the knee gets better soon

Happy Birthday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Happy birthday Gerard,
    Enjoy your new race category :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

gerard65 wrote: »
    Sun 9th May
    5.6mls in 48:52. Avg - 8:44.
    Took it very easy today. Knee very sore. I may have to take some time off after next Sundays race to get it sorted.
    I go into a new age group today.:D
    Happy Birthday! M45 now I presume. Same as me ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Happy birthday :D nice that the oul Leeds gave you a present and all, poor utd :D

Thurs 13th May
    5.8mls in 48:16. Avg 8:19.
    Took the last three days off with my knee. Thought I'd need three or four weeks off but decided to see how I'd get on. No pain at all:) I'll go out again tomorrow but atm its looking good for Sundays race.
    Got a foam roller today and have used it a couple of times, hardly sorted my knee in one session? One thing it showed up is a dreadful knot in my left calf, an old injury. This could be the cause of my foot problems as well, 'leg bone connected to foot bone etc'. Sign up for a mountain race on July 18th - 13.1 miles across the Dublin Mountains:eek:
    Now, where's that roller to inflict more pain:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

gerard65 wrote: »
    Thurs 13th May
    5.8mls in 48:16. Avg 8:19.
    Took the last three days off with my knee. Thought I'd need three or four weeks off but decided to see how I'd get on. No pain at all:) I'll go out again tomorrow but atm its looking good for Sundays race.
    Got a foam roller today and have used it a couple of times, hardly sorted my knee in one session? One thing it showed up is a dreadful knot in my left calf, an old injury. This could be the cause of my foot problems as well, 'leg bone connected to foot bone etc'. Sign up for a mountain race on July 18th - 13.1 miles across the Dublin Mountains:eek:
    Now, where's that roller to inflict more pain:(

I am seriously considering doing that race as well. I must be mad. Myself and woddle did part of this course today up along the main road. You must join us the next time. We can recce out the path up through massey wood...See you on sunday anyhow...

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am seriously considering doing that race as well. I must be mad. Myself and woddle did part of this course today up along the main road. You must join us the next time. We can recce out the path up through massey wood...See you on sunday anyhow...
    Something completely different eh? I'll be doing the 5 mile the day before:(
    Ye, next time your heading up that way give me a shout, although I live only a couple of miles away I don't know my way around the mountains at all.

Advertisement