Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diary of a middle-age runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

MONDAY 8/12/08.
    6.24 in 50:22

TUESDAY 9/12/08.
    8.5 in 69:12

WEDNESDAY 10/12/08.
    6.5 fartlek in 48:43

Not bad. The weekends races were still in my legs, but not as bad as expected. Decided to run for the team on sat instead of the jingle bells on sun. Enjoy the bhaa team events so its no hardship except for €12 down the drain.

THURSDAY 11/12/08
    8.5 mile in 71mins.
    Enjoyed this run, kept the pace easy. Weather brutal - cold, drab, and no drying - running out of running gear.
    Rest tomorrow for Sat's xc. weather not great for tomorrow so should be very muddy on Sat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

Hi Gerard I'm really enjoying your log, just getting back into running myself and technology has changed alot - what watch do you use?

Hi zenmonk, I use the garmin forerunner 205. I find its really good and it holds the gps signal well. The latest model is the 405, alot smaller than the older models but more expensive. Some feel the 205/305(hrm) is a bit like a laptop on your wrist, but I never notice it now. I'll get every last bit out of the 205 before I trade up;) Technology has come along way since I started running in the late 70's as a kid, maybe too much, I think some rely too much on feedback from heart-rate monitors etc. Humans do have instinct and gut feeling as well.
    Good luck on you journey back to the madness:D

FRIDAY 12/12/08.
    Rest.

SATURDAY 13/12/08.
    Bhaa 6k xc the Ward.
    Tough muddy race. I ran OK judging my placing of those behind and on front. Time irrelevent as it was more about dragging my feet out of the mud than racing, but Avg 4:50 per k. Will update placing.
    We won team event (class3). Placed 31 out of 90. 4th in Cat.

• Advertisement

SUNDAY 14/12/08.
    Woke up this morning a felt like a steam roller had rolled over my legs. Yesterday really tore the legs out of me from my feet to my hips. Deffo no running today, could hardly walk!
    68601.jpg
    LOVE THIS PHOTO FROM SAT.

MONDAY 15/12/08.
    6.9mls in 58mins.
    Easy run, legs still sore but I enjoyed this run - no pressure.
    This week will be easy. Next race 10th Jan. Next year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I saw that picture earlier all right and it made me laugh out loud, great picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

gerard65 wrote: »
    SUNDAY 14/12/08.
    Woke up this morning a felt like a steam roller had rolled over my legs. Yesterday really tore the legs out of me from my feet to my hips. Deffo no running today, could hardly walk!
    68601.jpg
    LOVE THIS PHOTO FROM SAT.

MONDAY 15/12/08.
    6.9mls in 58mins.
    Easy run, legs still sore but I enjoyed this run - no pressure.
    This week will be easy. Next race 10th Jan. Next year:D
    My legs are still sore today, have take 2 days off now.. Hope to get out tomorrow but that course was really really hard.

Nice photo.. I see the have pic's of the guy infront of me and after me.

TUESDAY 16/12/08.
    10.3 in 82mins.
    Nice run. Due to life/work changes I'm able to have my main meal of the day at lunchtime and get home at 5, so its straight on with the gear and out the door. Much easier to fit in the longer training runs and once Feb comes around the evenings will be getting brighter so the parks are back on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Keep up the good work Gerard, you seem to be flying at the moment. Looking forward to getting a run in one of the BHAA races next year with you lads again.

• Advertisement

Hi stmochtas, going good at the moment, hope to see you back soon.

WEDNESDAY 17/12/08.
    6.3mls in 50:43.

THURSDAY 18/12/08.
    7.4mls (4ml tempo).
    Very happy with this considering its a cold breezy evening.

FRIDAY 19/12/08.
    8.1 in 65mins.
    That was tough. Running into the wind was difficult, but its done, tomorrow rest.

SATURDAY 20/12/08.
    Rest.
    Sat down with the diary today to plan out the next year. I'm going to split the year up into sections consisting of 2 milage phase's and two race phase's. The two main race phase's will be in May for the Sportsworld 5 and the Intel 10k and Sept for the 10k in Firhouse.
    I hope to push my weekly milage to over 50 per week for the milage phase's and then begin to taper and add speed about 3-4 weeks before the main races. My main goal is still a sub40 10k.
    I've also marked out 2-3 BHAA races per month. My longest race will be the half-marathon in the phoenix park on the 19th of Sept to get down my PB of 1:38. Flirted with doing the Dublin marathon but quickly dismissed that.
    Well thats the plan (but you known what they say about best layed plans...).

Races for Jan '09.
    10th 4 mile XC Tymon park.
    17th 5 mile XC Cherryfield park.
    31st 5 mile XC Swords.

PS Bloody Leeds beaten again today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Sounds good Gerard65, I reckon you would hammer that 1/2 marathon pb, even if you did the run today ;). As for the Dublin marathon it's going to be the 30th annerversary and should be a good one, I've decided I'll be doing this aswell. Alot of time anyway to change your mind :D

SUNDAY 21/12/08.
    14.9 in 1hr58min. Just under 8min/ml.
    Very mild, damp evening. Ran a big loop taking in Crumlin, Walkinstown and Tallaght.
    Milage this week was 54mls.
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7309401

MONDAY 22/12/08.
    6.1mls in 50:54.
    Took it easy after yesterdays long run.

TUESDAY 23/12/08.
    10.4mls in 80:31.
    Fairly hilly. Felt very good, last mile in 7mins.
    Really flying at the moment, hav'nt felt so much bounce in my legs in a long time. Dropped a few lbs in the last 2 weeks, maybe its in my head but I feel much lighter. Still have a few lbs to lose so hopefully I be at my racing weight by the first race of the year on the 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great progress gerard and you seem to be really enjoying it which really is half the battle
    good stuff keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Looks like training going really well, and the results should follow in January.

What's the Swords XC? Is that BHAA?

Hi SUNGOD, ye I'm really feeling good lately, loads of bounce in the legs I've never felt before. I think dropping a good few lbs has helped and I've cut out the interval/rep type training which was tiring me out, I'll add it back in and drop the milage at the same time when I'm looking to peak in a few months.

Peckham, the Swords xc is on the BHAA calander, its down as the NCF 5 mile.

WEDNESDAY 24/12/08.
    Ended up getting drunk. Zero miles.

THURSDAY 25/12/08.
    7.4mls in 59mins.
    Woke up at 10 feeling a bit woozy. Cup of tea and stared at the wall for about a hour. Decided I go for a short run in Bushy. After the first slow mile my body got going and I went on for a hour feeling good. A nice morning for a run and Santy must have brought alot of bikes judging by all the kids out.
    Great to get this run done early today and burn of the booze from last night. Now it all starts again:D Happy Christmas everyone.

FRIDAY 26/12/08.
    8.1 in 61:30.
    Was'nt sure about today. With two late boozy nights in me I decided to just head out and see what happens, ended up feeling good averging 7:35min/ml with the last two just over 7mins feeling easy. Early night tonite (give the liver a break) and an easy 4 or 5 tomorrow.
    Leeds draw under new manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good stuff Gerard.

Remind me again why you decided NOT to do the DCM in 09? As it seems your training is progressing very well. 54 miles last week is up with what most people (certainly me at least) will be peaking at for the marathon training...

B

SATURDAY 27/12/08.
    5.4mls in 45min.
    Nice and easy. Long run tomorrow.
    Hi Christeb, Bad memories of the two marathons I've run. On both I blew up at 20mls and really struggled badly over the last 6, also out for 2 months with all sorts of aches and pains. My big goal is a sub40 10k and I don't want any distractions, but I'll think about the DCM before the closing date.

SUNDAY 28/12/08.
    14.7mls in 1hr 51min.
    This is becoming unreal, avg 7:34 and felt easy. Something weird has happened over the last 3 weeks. Its like I've made a big jump from where I was to here, many of these miles were under 7:30min/ml which 6 months ago I would have struggled to run 1 at that pace. Long may it last, better be sensible and take it easy tomorrow.
    Milage this week 52.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Well done great running. I often find that my fitness makes huge jumps over a short period of time. I could plateau for 4-6 weeks then bang the bar is pushed upwards quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what you are experiencing ! Great running all the same. Make sure you run a race soon. From personal experience I think you should race when everything is on an upward trajectory. Sub 40 should be very very achievable for you !

MONDAY 29/12/08.
    6.5 just under 55min.
    Thanks TheRoadRunner but today was back down with a bump. Legs tired and stiff. Finished off the xmas booze last night which did'nt help. Took it easy today avg 8:27 min/ml.

WEDNESDAY 31/12/08.
    Before the new year madness starts i'm updating this diary and making my last entry for '08. Unfortunately I've no sessions to enter as I been down with a head cold and slight calf strain since monday.
    The year saw the birth of Boards AC and our entry to the BHAA (I see the begrudgers are out already) I really enjoyed these races, looking forward to many more in '09.
    For 2009, my main aim is sub40 10k which means I've 2 mins to find, in a year I turn 44 this may be a bridge to far - I remain positive.
    Happy New Year to all and may '09 bring many PB's;).

1239 miles in '08.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

You'll find those 2 mins no problems, particularly if you do a dedicated schedule. I turned 40 in 08 and one of my objectives was a sub 40 10K. Ended up only partially doing a 10K schedule (due to marathon training) but crossed the finish line in the Aware run having subbed 39 mins. If I can do it anyone can :) Good luck.

THURSDAY 01/01/09.
    6mls in 51mins.

FRIDAY 02/01/09.
    6.1 in 49mins.

Between a lingering head cold, the dreary weather and post christmas blues, the last two days have been tough. The only thing that got me out the door was the upcoming races otherwise I doubt if I'd done anything. But a least the christmas thing is over, back to a normal routine on Monday.
    Easy tomorrow and I'll see then if I'm up to the long run planned for Sunday.

SATURDAY 03/01/09.
    15.1mls in 2hr11min.

SUNDAY 04/01/09.
    3mls in 26mins.

Changed my mind on Saturday after 3 miles and decided to carry on for the long run. Was dressed for an easy 3 miles and not 15 but got the run done at 8:39 pace. Happy to get this weeks long run done as I was'nt sure if I was up to it. Total milage this week was only 36.8 due to two days missed. The plan for the next 2 months is to build an endurance base, mainly slow miles to about 50 per week. My only speed will be the BHAA races and maybe a tempo type run on the weeks I'm not racing.
    Back to the normal routine tomorrow.

• Advertisement

MONDAY 05/01/09.
    6.28 in 55:24.

TUESDAY 06/01/09.
    8.12 in 65:11.

WEDNESDAY 07/01/09.
    6.4 in 51:26.

I've some pain in me hole with this weather. I always get pains in my back and shoulders during cold spells, always did, even as a kid. Just not enjoying this.:( Forecast for milder, damper weather for the weekend. Looking forward to it:confused:

Advertisement