Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diary of a middle-age runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

gerard65 wrote: »
    I've some pain in me hole with this weather. I always get pains in my back and shoulders during cold spells, always did, even as a kid.

:D Same here although the aches and pains have only started to kick in since I turned 30 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

THURSDAY 08/01/09.
    7.64 in 61:55.
    Still in pain

FRIDAY 09/01/09.
    3.4 in 29:40.
    Nice and easy today before tomorrows race. No pain today with the weather a bit more humane.

good stuff. It's supposed to be mild tomorrow so hopefully that will help the aching bones.

SATURDAY 10/01/09.
    RACE: 4mile BHAA xc Tymon Pk.
    27:20. Avg 6:34min/mle. 4:03km.
    Woke up with a bit of a chest infection, in the end I did'nt notice it during the race. Felt good during the race and considering the long slow miles with no pace training I'm very happy with this race. 4:03 avg km pace for 6k xc sets me up nicely for a sub40 10k in May.
    I'll update my offical time and place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

well done gerard
    great time.ive never ran xc myself id imagine its a different kettle of fish to a road race
    keep up the good work

• Advertisement

well done. Good running nice to meet up today

Woke up Sunday with a full flu - head, neck, chest, aches, hot and cold sweats so been in bed since Sunday. Still dying - its a lousy dose. I'm pulling out of Sats BHAA race, hope to get up to give the lads a cheer if I'm feeling better.

MONDAY 19/01/09.
    3.48 mile in 30:55.
    After a week out with flu it was good to get anything done. Took it very easy as I'm still not 100% , the last thing I need is a relapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Sensible, no point in pushing things.

Good man. You won't have lost too much fitness in a week and will be back flying in a couple of days. What's your next race ?

• Advertisement

TUESDAY 20/01/09.
    4.8mls in 38:40.
    In the rain and cold. Quads sore this morning, can't be surprised as I spent much of last week in bed.

Hi Peckam, Roadrunner, unfortuantly the flu took a fair amount out of me but hopefully I'll be fully back on track by the end of the week. Even just standing around on saturday had me bunched. Its a nasty dose and its really doing the rounds. The place I'm working in at the moment has 20 people, 2 were out last week with the flu and 3 are gone down with it now. I don't think its too late to get the flu jab and I'd strongly advise it if possible.
    I'll be hopefully back for the BHAA Swords race on the 31st.

WEDNESDAY 21/01/09.
    5.7 in 45:43.
    Legs still sore today, will back off tomorrow if no improvement.

THURSDAY 22/01/09.
    6mls in 49mins.

FRIDAY 23/01/09.
    8.2mls in 65min.
    Nice to get out in the sunshine this afternoon. Its the weekend, no race for me and an easy day planned for tomorrow, I think a few pints are on the cards tonight:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That should be in a seperate log.. First to 1,000 pints. :D

I'm already there;)

SUNDAY 25/01/09.
    13.4mls in 1hr 54mins.
    That was tough. The last two nights on the lash really took its toll - lesson learnt (again):rolleyes:
    Week total : 42.5. Ok considering I was'nt 100% after the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

gerard65 wrote: »
    I'm already there;)
    Since January 1st? :eek: I think you need to give up the running and take up professional drinking!

LOL. The way I feel this evening, I could happly retire from both:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Cheers for the comments Gerard but I reckon you would have set a new PB, ideal conditions, maybe sportsworld. I started the book on the London marathon, good read so far, so cheers.

The sportsworld will be the first race in the series I'm building for. The book is a must especially if your as big into marathons as you are.

MONDAY 26/01/09.
    6.55 in 56mins.

TUESDAY 27/01/09.
    3.95 in 36mins.
    Very tired and sore legs, I hav'nt been able to get back to the form I had before the flu. I came back too fast - basic mistake. I'm backing off training for the next few days.

• Advertisement

WEDNESDAY 28/01/09.
    4.9mls in 45min.
    Nice and easy.

THURSDAY 29/01/09.
    8.4mls 72:23.
    In the wind and rain. This was the first run in two weeks I felt somewhat back to normal, but took it easy.

SATURDAY 31/01/09.
    Race: NCT 5mile XC Swords.
    5.06 mile in 35:12 - watch time.
    I could come up with at least 3 excuses for running poorly today, but whats the point, its history, time to move on.
    Last day of January. Glad to see the back of that month.
    For February I'm starting on a refined 3hr 15min marathon plan I got from the RW website. At the moment I've no intention of running a marathon but this plan suits me, I'll adjust in slightly for my own purposes.
    Only 2 races planned for next month-
    07/02/09 - Aer Lingus 5mile CC ALSAA.(BHAA)
    21/02/09 - Garda/St. Raphaels 4mile CC Phoenix Pk.(BHAA).

Total milage for January 2009 - 137.7mls.

200 POSTS:D

MONDAY 02/02/09.
    4.29 in 35min.
    Totally wrecked. Hav'nt had any real break since August last year, so I'm taking the next few days off. I'll just do a bit of walking to keep the legs going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Congrats at the 200 posts - good to be able to look back on how you stuck with it!

SATURDAY 07/02/09.
    BHAA AER LINGUS 5MILE XC ALSAA.
    Time: 37:20.
    Poor race. First mile in just over 6mins. After taking the last 4 days off the legs just wanted to go. Did'nt hold back from the start and paid badly. Much too fast on what turned out to be a flat but very muddy course. When I was warming up on the course about and hour before the race it was still frozen but it thawed to mud by the time the race started. Next race in two weeks, I really need to get it together.

This will be my last log entry for a few weeks as unfortuantly the body has decided its had enough for a while. Woke up with very sore legs on Sunday and today not much better. Had to admit to myself today that I'm just worn out and need a proper prolonged rest. Disappointed at not been able to finish the BHAA xc season but I'm happy I've made the right decision and to tell the truth I'm looking forward to a few weeks of no pressure 'jogging' - down time to renew the batteries. I reckon I won't be racing again till May - have to re-think my plans for the sub40min 10k, maybe late summer. I'll look in every couple of days to keep up with the threads and hopefully will start updating this log again in March. (Maybe the weather will be a little milder by then).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Let there be no panic Gerard, your def making the right decision and will come back stronger for it, I felt similar before xmas and took 10 full days off and now am reaping the benefits. Enjoy the rest, I've lots of running time magazines if you want them :D

Its been a while. After a complete drop in form and feeling crap even doing 3 mile easy I went to the doctor. This lead to extensive tests and in the end it turns out I still have the flu. Apparently this is common with the strain of flu that did the rounds a few weeks ago. I was showing no symptoms on a day to day basis but when I tried to do something strainous I was knackered. It was a relieve that nothing serious turned up (I was worried!!) but it means I've no timetable to get back to a proper training schedule, you just can't tell with a virus - could be weeks or months. I've been told to take it easy and slowly build up but warned about overdoing it. Don't know when I'll be ready to race again - I'm prepared for a long road back, so for the forseeable future I'm down for easy half hour sessions.
    Updated the 1000ml challange with my meager affords over the last few weeks.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Gerard65, hoping you have a speedy recovery. At least now that the problems identified you can start on the path to returning to form.

• Advertisement

After more health problems and a short stay in hospital I'm glad to see the back of the last few weeks. Hopefully I can start putting together a few sessions. This week was the first time in ages I've felt normal.
    MONDAY 16th
    4.7 mls in 38:20

TUESDAY 17th.
    3.6mls in 30mins

WEDNESDAY 18th.
    5mls in 38:44

THURSDAY 19th
    Rest

FRIDAY 20th
    5.9 in 46mins

SATURDAY 21st
    Rest

SUNDAY 22nd
    5.9 in 47:48.

These were all done at a easy pace but still felt tough. Fitness is hard gained and easily lost. Next week will be the same type of training.

Advertisement