Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diary of a middle-age runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Thurs 20th Aug.
    3x2mile 5min rec jog.
    This was the toughest session I've thought up so far. Hurts alot.
    No running yesterday but lots xtraining laying paving slabs in the garden.

Sat 22nd Aug
    16.8mls in 2hr 28min.
    Met up with RQ this morning in the park so had company for the first 11 miles which was great as the time flew in. Was down for 18mls but really tired quickly at about 15 and was reduced to a shuffle for the last mile. Never so glad to get back to the car. Had a drink in the car and felt much better, maybe I should eat a bit more in the morning or take a drink about 12 miles in future. Long runs have gone 13, 15 and nearly 17 so going the right direction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was starting to tire towards the end of the 11 actually. Fairly warm this morning though...might start playing around with this whole carrying water and gels with me malarky that the others all go on about.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

When I was doing long runs for my marathon I had similar issues once I went over 14 miles or so. I found 500ml of water and a gel at about 11 miles helped a lot, but didn't really like the gels so switched to a bottle of gatorade. For me at least it made the next 2 miles feel more like mile 4 and 5 than 12 and 13. I used to double back to make the loop of the park pass car again at about 11 miles to collect and drink and run and dump bottle in bin on way along.

copacetic wrote: »
    When I was doing long runs for my marathon I had similar issues once I went over 14 miles or so. I found 500ml of water and a gel at about 11 miles helped a lot, but didn't really like the gels so switched to a bottle of gatorade. For me at least it made the next 2 miles feel more like mile 4 and 5 than 12 and 13. I used to double back to make the loop of the park pass car again at about 11 miles to collect and drink and run and dump bottle in bin on way along.

I've just been thinking about this. I'm likely to drive out to the park from now on to do my long runs as I enjoyed it this morning, so I'm going to do as you suggested.

• Advertisement

As I said in one of the threads the others day I never bring anything on runs with me, which is OK on cold winter nights but on warm mornings like this morning I started to feel it. The only type of bottle belt I've not tried yet is a camel back, because I run or cycle to the park I can't do the leaving the bottle in the car thing but I suppose if I was meeting others I can throw one in theirs.

That'd be no problem. I'm sure I've some of those bags you put in the freezer and they keep the containts cool. I'd go for the drinks as I don't think I'd be able for the gels- (as per our conversation this morning:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

gerard65 wrote: »
    I'd go for the drinks as I don't think I'd be able for the gels- (as per our conversation this morning:D)
    I'm doing a bit of experimentation with gels / sports drinks. I'm using the High5+ as I believe they're what's given out on the DCM. 2 weeks ago I had 3 gels and sports drinks during a 19 mile run - result slightly upset stomach. Last week I had 1 gel 30 min before the race, 1 immediately before, and some sports drink - result slightly upset stomach.
    Today I had 1 gel about 10 mins before the run, then during the run I started with 125 ml water, and 3x125ml sports drink. I could have done with some more fluid, but otherwise no problems. And I felt great all the way and afterwards - just over 16 miles total.
    Looks like if using 3 gels per hr as recommended then you only need to drink water. I'm not sure if I'll use gels during races as I find them damn difficult to ingest on the move - maybe I just need to practice.
    The High5+ seem less sweet 'n' sickly than others I've tried.

I've got a load of high5 that I've not used. Some lucozade and some SIS one's. Might try some out on next weeks long run. I wonder about the necessity of having energy drink AND gels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

I've got a load of high5 that I've not used. Some lucozade and some SIS one's. Might try some out on next weeks long run. I wonder about the necessity of having energy drink AND gels though.
    You're right, I don't think it's necessary. I do try to drink about 500ml every 60-90 mins, and I find I'm more inclined to drink if it's a nice flavoured sports drink. The blurb on the sachet of gel says 3 per hour, so having only taken one I figured some more carbs would be no harm. I did stick to water at the start though, in the hope that all the sugary stuff would be out of my stomach after 40 min or so, and then I got stuck into the High5 drink.
    Actually for today's run I don't think any carbs were necessary, but I think they might be very helpful for the marathon so I'm trying to get the body used to them.
    BTW either my training is suddenly starting to pay off or High5 is great stuff - I've felt noticeably better on the recent long runs when I've used it. (disclaimer - I have no connection to High5 - in fact I think it's a bit of an extravagence in these straitened times!)

• Advertisement

Sun 23rd Aug

5.5mls in 46:46mins. Nearly did'nt go out this evening as the legs were a bit sore after yesterday. Happy I did as they loosened out after a bit and I enjoyed the run.
    Just over 40mls this week made up of 2 quality sessions and 1 LSR. Except for the 2 mile race on Wednesday I'll ease off on the pace work next week. McMillian has me at 12:27 for the race on Wed from my 3k last week so we'll see how that goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

gerard65 wrote: »
    Sun 23rd Aug

5.5mls in 46:46mins. Nearly did'nt go out this evening as the legs were a bit sore after yesterday. Happy I did as they loosened out after a bit and I enjoyed the run.
    Just over 40mls this week made up of 2 quality sessions and 1 LSR. Except for the 2 mile race on Wednesday I'll ease off on the pace work next week. McMillian has me at 12:27 for the race on Wed from my 3k last week so we'll see how that goes.
    Not sure if i'll be able to make the race on wed myself, would be looking to get close to the 12:30 mark myself and I think i'd be in your race if I do run. Going to try to make it.

Mon 24th Aug

7:41 hilly mls in 57mins.
    Flying tonight, felt very strong. Avg pace 7:43 which included the long hill from the Firhouse road up to Stocking Lane. Apart from the first mile the pace never dropped slower than 8min/ml. Early it looked like the weather was going to be very bad for Wednesday but looks like in may have cleared by evening. Looking forward to Wednesday now, think there may be a good race in my legs:)

Tues 25th Aug.
    35min easy. Felt crap.

Wed 26th Aug.
    BHAA 2mile Irishtown track. 12:18.
    After last evening I had very little confidence going into this. I'd been doing a job in my garden the last two days which involved shifting a ton of topsoil and lifting heavy paving slabs. Legs still sore and tired today so did'nt expect much this evening. From the 3k two weeks ago Mcmillan had me down for 12:27 so to take 9secs off that has me delighted. With the handicap I was last for the first two laps, but continued to move my way through the field, finishing 6th in the race and maybe in the top 3 overall after the handicap in my race. A big boost that my training is on track:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good run Ger, I didn't get to hang around for it as the kids were starting to play up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well done nice run there, Wasn't able to make it myself.

Sat 29th Aug.
    15.4 in 2hrs 16min
    Met up with tunguska this morning for the long run. After going through 10k in 47mins I knew I was'nt going to keep up with that pace so I let him go on. Bubble burst about 13miles so called it a day a couple of miles on. Not as far as I planned but a good workout none-the-less.

Good run all the same. When's the longest run?

Just checked my diary, bit shocked as I've only 2 weekends free due to races:eek: .Next week and two weeks after that. I'll have to get a 20miler in next week no matter what and maybe midweek long runs. Did'nt realise I'm running out of weekends very quickly. I think i'll take the marathon easy and go for 4hrs, as I'm not commited as I would need to be. I'm more interested in other shorter races. Kind of sorry I entered now but I'll do it 'just to finish'.

Sun 30th Aug.
    3.2 in 23:30.

Mon 31st Aug.
    9x400 - 90sec rec. Avg 86 sec.
    Good session with a eye on the mile race on Wednesday.
    My best month of the year so far.

• Advertisement

Wed 2nd Sept.
    BHAA 1 mile race, Irishtown.
    2nd in 5:42.
    McMillian had me at 5:37, so I'm a little disappointed with this time. Poor evening weatherwise- damp and breezy. Led from the start and the race soon became a two horse race. Could'nt shake the guy on my shoulder and he had the advantage to outsprint me on the home straight. Still, won a 25eur voucher for runways so not too bad.
    Thats the last track race this year and after an injury hit first half of the year, two second places in the last two races is encouraging.
    The next few weeks training focus is on endurance.

Edit: just been messing around with the McMillian Calc and I must have misread my predicted mile time of 5:37. In fact it should have been 5:46, so 4secs faster -- wahoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice solid running tonight Ger, looking at your training would you have had an extra bit of zip in the last 100 if you had left an extra day or two between the 9 x 400 and the race?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice solid running tonight Ger, looking at your training would you have had an extra bit of zip in the last 100 if you had left an extra day or two between the 9 x 400 and the race?

The interval session was too close to the race - no doubt. I could still feel the D.O.M.S on my quads today. Whether I would have had the sprint at the end after front running for the whole race, don't know, but I think its easier to kick from behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done Ger, fantastic race considering the bad luck you've had and I can't believe we're back to where we where before your illness, in other words you runing faster than I and kicking my ass :D

Woddle wrote: »
    Well done Ger, fantastic race considering the bad luck you've had and I can't believe we're back to where we where before your illness, in other words you runing faster than I and kicking my ass :D

Would'nt be too sure about that over a longer distance. My focus over the last six weeks has been soley on the track, I've no endurance. You'll be much stronger over the 10k and half marathon.

Thurs 3rd Sept.
    5.1mls in 44mins.
    Nice and easy this evening. Looking forward to easy, no pressure running over the next few weeks (except for races).

Fri 4th Sept.
    5mls in 41:47.
    Relaxed run in Bushy. Managed to avoid the showers. Bloody LSR for tomorrow morning. Might head for the hills to make it more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Doing 20 @9AM tomorrow morning with a buddy around Howth (twice!) if the Northside hills can tempt you Ger?!

christeb wrote: »
    Doing 20 @9AM tomorrow morning with a buddy around Howth (twice!) if the Northside hills can tempt you Ger?!
    Thanks, but I don't think I'd be able for your pace. I might head up towards the hellfire club and down around tymon park. I'm going to have to get over the mental block of the long run so i'm prepared to walk if need be.
    I'll take your invite up another time.

• Advertisement

Sat 5th Sept.
    17.7mls in 2hr 34mins.
    Kept away from the hills and stayed around Knocklyon, Firhouse and Tymon Park. Really struggled over the last few miles. I think I've two issues to deal with, 1. I'm overweight, still weighing in a 13st, about a stone too much. 2. My aerobic capacity is no where near its optimum. I've got to start working on this over the next few weeks.

Advertisement