Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diary of a middle-age runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Wed 21st Oct.
    30min easy

Thurs 22nd Oct.
    30min easy.

Fri 23th Oct.
    30min tempo.

Thats it till Monday. Number picked up today, jelly beans and glucose sweets bought. Getting more confident so going to aim for 8:30min/mls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck man have a good one, enjoy it you deserve it after the year you've had

Thanks. Don't know why I'm so confident of a sub 3:45 as I've done piss all training for this but I've been growing in confidence all week that I can keep 8:30min/mls going. I've now just to find a way of depositing as many sweets around my person:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Best of luck Ger, I'm just after mile 21 - I'll keep a few bags of jellies for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Very best of luck tomorrow Ger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

gerard65 wrote: »
    Thanks. Don't know why I'm so confident of a sub 3:45 as I've done piss all training for this but I've been growing in confidence all week that I can keep 8:30min/mls going. I've now just to find a way of depositing as many sweets around my person:)

You'll be grand, go out and enjoy the run, relax for the first 10 and then take if from there, remember its ment to hurt :) in the later stages

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

best of luck tomorrow

Thanks guys. Getting a bit nervous today. I've been reading Bob Glover about staying positive even when you hit a bad patch and breaking the distance into smaller pieces - the next mile, the next corner, the next lampost. I have two marathons under my belt so I'm mentally prepared for tomorrow - not as sure physically but nothing I can do about that now. I know what its like to hit the wall at 20miles and I've survived. My first goal is to finish and second is to beat my time from '06 of 3:47.
    'Bring it on'.;)

Mon 26th Oct.
    Dublin City Marathon.
    Official Time via text: 4:11:21.
    I'm not afraid to die and go to hell. I've just been there. At some point between mile 23 and the finish I experienced absolute dispair. Too tired and sore to write anymore. Off to bed for a while.

Fair play Gerar65, it was always going to be tough and you finished, excellent going.

• Advertisement

well your finished with it now and can focus on the part of running you love, short fast races... Well done on a solid run all the miles will stand to you .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done Gerard, I'm with you about the whole Hell thing - mine just started a bit earlier. Fair play to you, you did it!

Official time down to 4hrs 10mins 12sec. Pos Overall - 4838. Pos in M40 cat - 714.

Ok, what the bleedin hell did I expect. I lost interest in training for this weeks ago. However went out today with great intentions.
    Firstly to all the boardies I met for the first time today, at the start, during the race and at the end- I have to apoligise - I can't remember your names - just faces, hopefully they'll come back to me. Met one of those no -name boardies at the start and we ran together for the first few miles. Ahead were the 3:45 ballons which I was trying catch but they always seemed at least 80m ahead. Could'nt beleive my eyes when I met RQ in the park - her with the dodgy knee and all. Ran together for a couple of miles.
    First 10k -53:28 feeling good.
    Over the next few miles I spoke to others who reconnised the boards ac vest - still no names. Could'nt work out why I could'nt catch the ballons - then 1 disappeared. Shortly afterwards the other went.
    Half way - 1:52:13.
    This is where everything started going south. By 20 miles I was shot. Beepbeep offered me sweets at 21miles but at that stage my stomach was in bits, same as kevinkilbane dad who I met on nutley lane and walked with me for a while. Next few miles a blur. The last 2 miles were an emotional rollercoster, one minute on a high -'I'm going to finish this' the next minute very depressed - had to pull myself together a few times.
    Was so glad to finish. There will be a next time, I'll be better prepared, I've a score to settle.
    PS Crowds out supporting were mighty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Your story sounds just like mine Ger lol. Well done all the same, after today I will have an incredible amount of respect for anyone who runs marathons.

Fri 30th Oct.
    30 mins very easy.
    First run since DCM. Going well for a couple of miles then the left knee began acting up. When I got home I did alot of work on the ITB. Had a feeling this was going to happen, but hopefully, with a bit of work, it'll be all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

Gerard, can I ask what you do for your ITB? Is it foam roller work or s'thng else? I had severe problems with mine during the marathon and need to start addressing them. Thanks and congrats.

Gerard, can I ask what you do for your ITB? Is it foam roller work or s'thng else? I had severe problems with mine during the marathon and need to start addressing them. Thanks and congrats.
    Yep, the foam roller is great if you can tolerate the pain. But I've found using an old 'D' size battery rolled between my palm and the leg does nearly the same job. I also use a couple of stretching techniques for the ITB which I find good. But most people swear by the foam roller.

Sat 31st Oct.
    25mins very easy.
    ITB needs more work. Got out this afternoon as I would'nt fancy running around the streets this evening.

ITB needs more work. Got out this afternoon as I would'nt fancy running around the streets this evening.

Thats funny I went out late last night and I was always aware that some banger may be thrown at me at any time, so whatever you do don't scream and jump like a little girl :D. I'll be on the treadmill tonight though

Happy birthday log. One year old today.:cool:
    I'm taking a few days off. With the ITB giving me jip since the marathon and a nagging foot pain for the last few weeks, I want to see if a complete rest will clear these up.
    Been reading alot about Arthur Lydiard and Peter Snell's training methods over the last couple of days - interesting stuff.

• Advertisement

Been reading alot about Arthur Lydiard and Peter Snell's training methods over the last couple of days - interesting stuff.

Me too, I've actually ordered running with lydiard from amazon, can't wait to read it.

Woddle wrote: »
    Me too, I've actually ordered running with lydiard from amazon, can't wait to read it.
    Did you see the articial in running times mag? Also google the 'lydiard foundation'.

I did a nice read and I suppose it was that article that made me want to buy the book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Happy birthday log. One year old today.:cool:
    I'm taking a few days off. With the ITB giving me jip since the marathon and a nagging foot pain for the last few weeks, I want to see if a complete rest will clear these up.

Lydiard training is gold. My training plan was based around his philosophies to a large degree you will learn alot

Mon 9th Nov.
    30mins easy.
    Not much done over the last week as the knee and foot were still playing up. Today was a bit better, still a bit of pain after about 20mins but not as bad, more a dull ache. Started doing some 'core' work.

Week 30th Nov to 6th Dec.

Well, November has been a write off with both knee and foot giving me problems. Just back this week with easy 30min runs. Hopefully the injuries are now behind me and I can start building again.
    Last weeks milage was 24. The plan for the next two weeks is to build to 60mins running.
    I'll need an average of 6.6 miles per day to complete the 1000mile challenge - its not going to happen this year - maybe next.:rolleyes:

Week 7th Dec to 13th Dec

Mon - 43mins
    Tues - 32mins
    Wed - 44mins
    Thur - 31mins
    Fri - 55mins
    Sat - 31mins
    Sun - 54mins

Total miles this week - 33.
    Happy to get 'time on feet' this week. The pace was slow averaging 8:50 min/miles but the pace at this stage is not important. The foot has gotten alot better as the week went on but I'm paranoid about every slight twinge. Much of the same next week.

Week 14th Dec - 20th Dec

Mon - 51mins
    Tues - 33mins
    Wed - 62mins
    Thurs - 33mins
    Fri - 65mins
    Sat -37mins
    Sun - off.

Another good week. Pace was faster at 8:25min/mls avg. Took today off as I've put in 20 consective days (and its freezing out). Plan is something similar next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I've put in 20 consective days (and its freezing out).

Nice work Ger. Did you even need to take today off? What I mean is, did you take it off because you're wrecked? I like the recovery/slow miles instead of nothing. 20 in a row is good going.

• Advertisement

Week 14th Dec - 20th Dec

Mon - 51mins
    Tues - 33mins
    Wed - 62mins
    Thurs - 33mins
    Fri - 65mins
    Sat -37mins
    Sun - off.

Another good week. Pace was faster at 8:25min/mls avg. Took today off as I've put in 20 consective days (and its freezing out). Plan is something similar next week.
    Good to see you back :) , hope to get myself in shape to give you a few races next year.

Advertisement